Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2019, 11:36 PM   #1061

Hire someone with CDL, but also, if your new to driving a school bus check out https://youtu.be/Ol8vvoFl7J4 you gotta learn your bus before you buy it, or step behind the wheel. Honestly your dealer has probably been sued by someone that had great intentions but had no clue what they were doing, hes covering his arse.

OkieRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:37 PM   #1062
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2012
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: E450
Engine: V10
Rated Cap: 1 1/2 ton
Talking Title fixed, insured and registered in Georgia!

I got my motor home title changed, insured and registered today! Yay!
Here is the promised results of the problem I was having with the Georgia tag office, with one twist. I contacted my state senator and representative for help since I didn't think I'd ever get to the right person at MVD. Representative Matthew Gabill responded, contacted the state MVD, who called me the very next day and fixed the problem with their new system! I believe the MVD person put a ticket in to fix it so the tag offices can use that pick for others, too. Just that quick. I have no belief I could have done this without the help from that representative.
Here's the twist: In the new system in Georgia they could not give a code, "MH" for motor home to a motor home because it's used already for mobile homes. So, oddly enough, I have an, "HC", which is a, "House Car". Some one's kidding me, right? Nope, it's really a, "House Car". That's not confusing for getting insurance, right? I told the insurance it's a motor home and they added it to my other motor home.
Now I have a shorty E-450 and a 32' Freightliner motor home. A whole lot more room in the Freightliner.
GaryTheRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:06 PM   #1063
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
"House car" is a really old term, must have dusted that off from the dark ages. Neat term I like it. Glad you found the right people to make the changes.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:01 PM   #1064
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 4700
Engine: International T444e/ Ford 7.3 powerstroke
Hello all. I know this site is for school bus conversions and seeing all of your awesome conversions I feel like the odd man out, but I decided to go a different route and am converting a box truck. Glad I was directed to this site though as it has become an invaluable resource of information.

So, I'm converting an International 4700 12 foot box truck. On the title the vehicle is listed as a "Van" and the GVWR is listed at 19501 (it's going to cost me over $400 for the reg alone and another $300 for taxes & app fees using the VT method).

If I fill out the form as you guys have, plus add the information for trucks will I be able to get it registered as MH?
DJTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:13 PM   #1065
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTM View Post
Hello all. I know this site is for school bus conversions and seeing all of your awesome conversions I feel like the odd man out, but I decided to go a different route and am converting a box truck. Glad I was directed to this site though as it has become an invaluable resource of information.

So, I'm converting an International 4700 12 foot box truck. On the title the vehicle is listed as a "Van" and the GVWR is listed at 19501 (it's going to cost me over $400 for the reg alone and another $300 for taxes & app fees using the VT method).

If I fill out the form as you guys have, plus add the information for trucks will I be able to get it registered as MH?
Where did you get that $400 figure from? Your truck should only cost $176 for a truck--9900lbs. Did you pay $5k for the truck?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:16 AM   #1066
Mini-Skoolie

hey 01marc. check this link out:

https://dmv.vermont.gov/registrations/fees/truck-fees

for a diesel truck it cost $448.

I was really bummed when I saw how much i'd be paying. I paid $3000 for the truck sorry, so $180 in taxes + 2year reg. fee @ $140 = $320. Anyway, that's $768 smackers!! Gahhhh just saying it is pissin me off!!
Old 07-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #1067
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
hey 01marc. check this link out:

https://dmv.vermont.gov/registrations/fees/truck-fees

for a diesel truck it cost $448.

I was really bummed when I saw how much i'd be paying. I paid $3000 for the truck sorry, so $180 in taxes + 2year reg. fee @ $140 = $320. Anyway, that's $768 smackers!! Gahhhh just saying it is pissin me off!!
That price (for registering a truck) will not apply to you because you're registering as a motorhome and thus will pay motorhome fees and taxes. You're basically starting out as a truck (same as we do with buses) but ending up as a motorhome. You'll pay a $76 fee plus 6% of the vehicle's sale price (or its NADA value if it's in the book) and that's it.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:40 PM   #1068
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
That price (for registering a truck) will not apply to you because you're registering as a motorhome and thus will pay motorhome fees and taxes. You're basically starting out as a truck (same as we do with buses) but ending up as a motorhome. You'll pay a $76 fee plus 6% of the vehicle's sale price (or its NADA value if it's in the book) and that's it.
That is extremely good to hear!
Old 07-06-2019, 11:57 PM   #1069
Bus Geek

Sorry, I dropped the important 1 of the weight, makes a difference.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #1070
Mini-Skoolie

So I called in and spoke to a CSR at the DMV and she told me that I would indeed have to pay $448 to register because it is not yet a completed motorhome. Do they verify whether or not your vehicle is what you say it is?
Old 07-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #1071
Bus Geek

Quote:
So I called in and spoke to a CSR at the DMV and she told me that I would indeed have to pay $448 to register because it is not yet a completed motorhome. Do they verify whether or not your vehicle is what you say it is?
Why did you tell them it was not completed? They didn't ask other than the spot on the form for you to put "MH" and the classification number associated with it.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #1072
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
They don't verify as far as I know, and I don't think VT has any concept of completed vs. non-completed motor homes - to them a motor home is just a type of car, really. I think you would just keep the "Trucks" section (between sections 5 and 6) empty and that would be that. On my form, in fact, I entered the Model in section 5 as "TK" which stands for truck (per the instructions of the person at the DMV I spoke to) and didn't have to pay any $448.

I'd say call again - one feature of skoolie life is getting totally different answers to the same question from different people in the same bureaucracy.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #1073
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Why did you tell them it was not completed? They didn't ask other than the spot on the form for you to put "MH" and the classification number associated with it.
Yes, I hope I am not being too direct but your questions have already been answered. Follow the guide exactly and you will avoid the $448 type fee.

Oops Marc, sorry. Meant to quote OP, not you.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #1074
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
They don't verify as far as I know, and I don't think VT has any concept of completed vs. non-completed motor homes - to them a motor home is just a type of car, really. I think you would just keep the "Trucks" section (between sections 5 and 6) empty and that would be that. On my form, in fact, I entered the Model in section 5 as "TK" which stands for truck (per the instructions of the person at the DMV I spoke to) and didn't have to pay any $448.

I'd say call again - one feature of skoolie life is getting totally different answers to the same question from different people in the same bureaucracy.
I believe they want you to have it inspected, but no one goes to Vt. to do that, and no other states knows it's suppose to be inspected. This may be an issue when renewing and they see it hasn't been inspected. I spend time in Ct. so Vt. is a short stint to visit.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:15 PM   #1075
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
I believe they want you to have it inspected, but no one goes to Vt. to do that, and no other states knows it's suppose to be inspected. This may be an issue when renewing and they see it hasn't been inspected. I spend time in Ct. so Vt. is a short stint to visit.
The question regarding renewal, someone brought that up recently and IIRC two members spoke up and said that they had no trouble renewing by mail with no inspection.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #1076
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
The question regarding renewal, someone brought that up recently and IIRC two members spoke up and said that they had no trouble renewing by mail with no inspection.
Well that is comforting to know.

Vt. still hasn't cashed my check. I'm sure I'll be getting it back. When I sent it in the first time they didn't ask for the BOS, so on purchase price to calcualate taxes, I put $2K, I realized after they asked for the BOS that it reads $3500. If they catch it, I'll owe another $90.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #1077
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for all the replies guys! Just to be clear, I only spoke with a rep, when I actually go to the DMV, I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut with regards to the status of the RV. Also, the price for registering a school bus and a motorhome are the same so most all of you will pay the standard reg. fee. For trucks over 6,099, it's a different story.

Hopefully it won't be an issue and I'll make sure to leave the truck section blank. Funny thing, on the title it doesn't say "TK" it says "VAN" but it's most definitely a truck. Does that seem odd to anyone?
Old 07-11-2019, 07:47 PM   #1078
Bus Geek

Quote:
when I actually go to the DMV
Wut?

You mean later in your state?

Or you plan on actually visiting VT? Why?

Whole point of this thread is it's all done by mail
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:58 PM   #1079
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Wut?

You mean later in your state?

Or you plan on actually visiting VT? Why?

Whole point of this thread is it's all done by mail
Well, I'm in NY and VT is only 3.5 hours away. Never been there before, figured I'd make a trip out of it and avoid having to wait at the same time!
Old 07-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #1080
Bus Geek

Quote:
Well that is comforting to know.

Vt. still hasn't cashed my check. I'm sure I'll be getting it back. When I sent it in the first time they didn't ask for the BOS, so on purchase price to calcualate taxes, I put $2K, I realized after they asked for the BOS that it reads $3500. If they catch it, I'll owe another $90.
Yep, got application back today requesting the extra $90.