Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2019, 07:43 PM   #1081
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Yep, got application back today requesting the extra $90.

Bummer, sorry to hear that. Better luck next time I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
The question regarding renewal, someone brought that up recently and IIRC two members spoke up and said that they had no trouble renewing by mail with no inspection.

Vermont will actually send you a renewal form when it's due and you just send it back with the requested amount. Much easier and more straight forward than the original process.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:49 PM   #1082
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Bummer, sorry to hear that. Better luck next time I guess.

Wrote a new check and had it back in the box 5 minutes after I took it out.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:51 PM   #1083
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Well that is comforting to know.

Vt. still hasn't cashed my check. I'm sure I'll be getting it back. When I sent it in the first time they didn't ask for the BOS, so on purchase price to calcualate taxes, I put $2K, I realized after they asked for the BOS that it reads $3500. If they catch it, I'll owe another $90.
Funny, my numbers were almost almost exactly the same. I paid $3600 for my bus but when getting my PA title I told the person at the tag and title place that I paid $2000 to lessen the tax hit. She wrote that down and then mentioned that PA would be auditing me in six months and I would have to produce the BOS to prove that's what I paid for it.

Fortunately I had to withdraw the application for a different reason and when I came back the next day I was honest about what I'd paid. Funny thing is I'm probably going to be screwed on the audit for the $3600 anyway because I didn't get a BOS from the seller. I'm hoping I can somehow prove the price via my eBay history, but I've never seen any way on eBay of printing out an invoice or anything like that.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #1084
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Funny, my numbers were almost almost exactly the same. I paid $3600 for my bus but when getting my PA title I told the person at the tag and title place that I paid $2000 to lessen the tax hit. She wrote that down and then mentioned that PA would be auditing me in six months and I would have to produce the BOS to prove that's what I paid for it.

Fortunately I had to withdraw the application for a different reason and when I came back the next day I was honest about what I'd paid. Funny thing is I'm probably going to be screwed on the audit for the $3600 anyway because I didn't get a BOS from the seller. I'm hoping I can somehow prove the price via my eBay history, but I've never seen any way on eBay of printing out an invoice or anything like that.
A BOS is the easiest piece of paperwork to produce, no one questions it usually. When I go to register my old bike that hasn't been registered in over 40 years I don't know what I will run into. I don't have the BOS from 1975, nor do I have anything that says this is my bike. other than possesion is 9/10.
Why can't you contact the seller and get a BOS from them?
Old 07-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #1085
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
^...Handwrite or print one out with the sellers info and the price you either paid, or the price you want them to see.
They have way too many vehicles paperwork's to process every day, to actually go back to the previous owner to verify every bit of info...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:03 PM   #1086
Bus Geek

Quote:
A BOS is the easiest piece of paperwork to produce, no one questions it usually. When I go to register my old bike that hasn't been registered in over 40 years I don't know what I will run into. I don't have the BOS from 1975, nor do I have anything that says this is my bike. other than possesion is 9/10.
Why can't you contact the seller and get a BOS from them?
I tried but he never replied and now he's vanished. I think maybe he was afraid that once I saw the rust I would come find him and kill him.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #1087

Any help would be apreciated

In JAN 2019 I bought a 1995 Ford e350 shuttle bus in NJ. My goal is to have title in my name, registered as a motorhome and insured. I really dont care what state I end up going through but I live in PA.

Currently I only managed to get it insured as an RV. I have not payed taxes, no registration and title is not under my name yet. Long story short, I lost the tile and just recently found it.

What is strange about this bus is that the title seems to be a regular ford e350 title (body type is listed as wagon, type of title as standard, sufix as z) but when you look up the Vin online, it comes up as RV cutaway. The carfax had it as motorhome.

I was able to get it insured through progresive on the phone by simply providing them w the vin number. The insurance card has it listed as Model:RV Cutaway.

what is my best course of action?
A) register it in VT and then get the title in PA?
B) get the title in PA and hope I receive a motorhome title?
jonnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:50 PM   #1088
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
Any help would be apreciated

In JAN 2019 I bought a 1995 Ford e350 shuttle bus in NJ. My goal is to have title in my name, registered as a motorhome and insured. I really dont care what state I end up going through but I live in PA.

Currently I only managed to get it insured as an RV. I have not payed taxes, no registration and title is not under my name yet. Long story short, I lost the tile and just recently found it.

What is strange about this bus is that the title seems to be a regular ford e350 title (body type is listed as wagon, type of title as standard, sufix as z) but when you look up the Vin online, it comes up as RV cutaway. The carfax had it as motorhome.

I was able to get it insured through progresive on the phone by simply providing them w the vin number. The insurance card has it listed as Model:RV Cutaway.

what is my best course of action?
A) register it in VT and then get the title in PA?
B) get the title in PA and hope I receive a motorhome title?
Since the VIN is already coming up as a motor home, your best bet is probably to attempt to title and register it as a motor home in PA. If both go through then you're golden (don't even mention to them that it's a bus, just say from the get-go that it's a motor home). If they don't allow it to be titled in PA as a motor home, then you should be able to title it as a bus (or maybe even as a wagon) initially and then change it by mail (there's a form you send in for title change requests) to the motor home designation.

An important note: according to my local tag and title person and various people that I spoke to at PennDOT, a skoolie qualifies as a modified vehicle and you have to fill out an additional form and have the vehicle inspected (this is a different inspection from just the ordinary kind where they check brakes and lights etc.) before you can re-title it as a motor home. However: it appears that PennDOT has a bit of a blind spot as far as this is concerned, and there is no check in place to see if this motor home conversion inspection has actually been done or not. If you simply mail the title change form in with motor home entered, it will go through successfully (as confirmed by used CMORGANSKOOL here on skoolie.net).

Personally I'm on the fence about doing it this way, because I think it's an oversight loophole that might be closed unexpectedly which would lead to some problems. However, the official process is so damn difficult that I don't want to deal with it at all.

Because of some weirdness with my title and the sale, I initially re-titled my bus (as a "BUS") in PA and then sent a copy of the PA title to Vermont to get a motorhome registration and plates from there.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:01 AM   #1089

1994 Goshen/Oshkosh 31' Tour Bus

This works. Received plates a month ago. Getting insurance is another thing. We're struggling to find a way to get reasonable coverage that actually will cover an accident. You can get coverage by carefully filling in applications but coverage will be denied if you have an accident according to insurance agent in RI and one in MA. How can we get insurance keeping our VT tags?
Nanbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:33 AM   #1090
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanbar View Post
This works. Received plates a month ago. Getting insurance is another thing. We're struggling to find a way to get reasonable coverage that actually will cover an accident. You can get coverage by carefully filling in applications but coverage will be denied if you have an accident according to insurance agent in RI and one in MA. How can we get insurance keeping our VT tags?
Denied for what reason? I thought registration issues might deny a claim. There is a member here who claimed they had been driving unregistered for a year and a half. I contacted my insurance to see if I would be covered with expired tags. They said as long as my premiums were up to date, I would be covered regardless of registration status.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #1091
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: 4700
Engine: International T444e/ Ford 7.3 powerstroke
Success!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190724_124504.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	35928

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190724_125101.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	35929

Piece-O-Cake! The ride up to Bennington was beautiful, the lady that took care of me was very nice and my family reunion was in Springfield, Mass about an hour & a half away from Bennington. All in all, a very productive and blessed weekend!!

A thousand thank yous Warewolff
DJTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #1092
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTM View Post
Attachment 35928

Attachment 35929

Piece-O-Cake! The ride up to Bennington was beautiful, the lady that took care of me was very nice and my family reunion was in Springfield, Mass about an hour & a half away from Bennington. All in all, a very productive and blessed weekend!!

A thousand thank yous Warewolff
Did you get the inspection done while you were in-state?
Old 07-24-2019, 02:43 PM   #1093
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: 4700
Engine: International T444e/ Ford 7.3 powerstroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Did you get the inspection done while you were in-state?
No. However, I was informed that I would need to get the vehicle inspected within 15 days. But, since I'm going to be in New York it won't be a problem until I return to Vermont.
DJTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:59 AM   #1094
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GM CV 6600 I think lol
Engine: 3126 A Caterpillar AT2400
Rated Cap: 54 ps
Can I still do this if my bus was previously registered as pov in another state
lemmeskoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:49 PM   #1095

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Rated Cap: 66
Im sure this has been answered, but I dont have the time to read 110 pages to find out.

How does one go about getting a VIN verification? The current (7/29/19) VD-119 states "All used vehicles with out of state titles being
registered/titled in the applicant’s name for the first time are
required to procure a VIN verification from the personnel
listed below, unless purchased directly from a licensed
dealer. "
The VT-010 VIN verification form just says who must do the verification, but not how to get it done. Does it actually need to be completed? Has anyone recently submitted a title and successfully received a new registration without doing a VIN verification?
Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:54 PM   #1096
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watkins View Post
Im sure this has been answered, but I dont have the time to read 110 pages to find out.

How does one go about getting a VIN verification? The current (7/29/19) VD-119 states "All used vehicles with out of state titles being
registered/titled in the applicant’s name for the first time are
required to procure a VIN verification from the personnel
listed below, unless purchased directly from a licensed
dealer. "
The VT-010 VIN verification form just says who must do the verification, but not how to get it done. Does it actually need to be completed? Has anyone recently submitted a title and successfully received a new registration without doing a VIN verification?
Call your local police and explain what you need. They'll probably do it unless you're in Port Richmond PA in which case they'll tell you to go **** yourself (fortunately I had already re-titled the bus in PA and since this title was in my name, no VIN verification was required for me to get my VT registration). If you're transferring a title (i.e. your title in hand has the seller's name on it but it has been signed over to you) you will need a VIN verification.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:02 PM   #1097

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Rated Cap: 66
The problem in that situation is that I cant legally drive it between the GVW and the lack of registration (MA makes things fun), and if it were even possible to get a cop to the bus they would probably give me grief about how an unregistered bus appeared in my yard.
Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:11 PM   #1098
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watkins View Post
The problem in that situation is that I cant legally drive it between the GVW and the lack of registration (MA makes things fun), and if it were even possible to get a cop to the bus they would probably give me grief about how an unregistered bus appeared in my yard.
Well then you may have to do a Massachusetts (I really hate all the M state codes, had to look it up to make sure what MA was) variant of what I did, which is to title it without registering it (which PA allows but I don't know about MA) and then use the MA title in your name to register it in VT. The downside is you basically double-pay the taxes (I paid 6% of my sale price to get my PA title and 6% again to get the VT registration).
Old 07-29-2019, 05:50 PM   #1099
Bus Geek

Just make friends with a local cop and ask a favor.

You are in fact **in the process** of getting the paperwork all straightened out.

Unless you present as POC, Muslim, trans, drug user, antifa etc you should have no trouble
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:20 PM   #1100
Mini-Skoolie

Do I need to have Vermont mailing address to get the form back or they let out of state applications?

Upd: By looking in Op's application I can use my home address and get Vermont plates here. Woot woot..
Did I get it right?
CrazyKGB is offline   Reply With Quote