Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2019, 05:54 PM   #1121
Mini-Skoolie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Last updated May 28 2019

UPDATE: Per the moderator of this forum, this POST will be kept updated with the most recent information based on member experiences. Registration costs increase by a few dollars every now and then so check for yourself before sending out your money.
-----
I've used this method frequently for old abandoned motorcycles I bought that had no title.

Many states have hoops that they'll make you jump through before they'll designate your skoolie as an RV. "Meet four out of seven requirements" or such nonsense. New York, where I reside, is one of those states. They are a PITA with everything vehicle related, and I know many states are following in the same suit.

Vermont, on the other hand, is not one of these states. As of the date I'm writing this, all they requested from me was that I remove the school insignia and repaint the bus. They didn't require an inspection or proof of conversion. It should be noted, however, that I have a bus with hydraulic brakes -- although, under motor home classification they don't even ask about air brakes. Check with your state to see if you need anything extra to drive with air brakes.

Vermont will offer a transferrable registration for any vehicle over 15 years old. They won't give you a title -- but fear not, you can use this registration to then title your bus in your resident state if it's really that big of an issue. Realistically, it shouldn't be. I have been using out of state plates in NY for years without issue. If your bus is newer than 15 years you will receive a bonafide Vermont title.

- First and foremost, for transferable registrations (<15yrs), make sure you include a copy of your title. If you are expecting to receive a title (>15yrs) be sure to include your ORIGINAL title. If your bus has no title, make sure you have a bill of sale and a vin verification, verifying it's not stolen. As of now (01/01/17), it seems that a vin verification is only necessary if you have no ownership papers.

Vermont's application is named VD119. It is the appplication used for title, registration, renewal, transfer, tax, et cetera. Listed below are the steps I used to complete the form:

- Fill out Section 1 with your basic personal information.

- You can skip Sections 2 and 3A. To be safe, I completed 3B with the sellers info.

- Under Section 4, check "new registration". Skip the bit about plate # and expiration, as this is a new registration. When it asks for your registration/plate type, manually write in "Motor Home" followed by 19. I believe this is the code they use in the system to designate personal use.

- Fill out Section 5 with the relevant info from your title. If you do not have a title, fill it out as best you can. Beneath that, just to be safe, I listed the amount of axles, empty weight, and gross weight of my bus under "trucks".

- Under Section 6, write in the price you purchased the bus for. Vermont uses the purchase value -- or the listed NADA value -- whichever is greater, to calculate sales tax. Most buses are not listed in NADA. In this case, simply use 6 percent of what you paid for the bus. In my case, 2550 x .06(%) = $153. Write your total under "Net Taxable".

- Leave Section 7 blank unless you are tax exempt or purchasing a vehicle over 25 yrs old. I do not know how that works if your vehicle is older.

Add up your fees in Section 9 and figure out the total. For most of us, this should just be the registration fee for a Motor Home (As of now, $76 for one year or $140 for two years) and the tax calculated previously in Section 6.

If, however, your bus is newer than 15 years, and you are expecting a title back, include an extra $35 title fee. Check should be issued to "Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles" for the total combined amount. For added comfort, add an ADDITIONAL handwritten page outlining what you would like to accomplish and itemizing the fees you are paying.

So just to be repetitive:

Transferable registrations: Buses 15 years or older, include COPY of title + bill of sale + completed application + registration fee ($76/1yr or $140/2yrs) + 6% VT tax (or proof that tax has already been paid) + handwritten note itemizing your costs

Titles: Buses newer than 15 years old, include ORIGINAL title + bill of sale + completed application + registration fee ($76 or $140) + title fee ($35) + 6% VT tax (or proof it's paid) + handwritten note itemizing your costs

**If you do not have a transferable registration or title from the previous owner, include a vin verification.**

Sign your application at the bottom and mail all that stuff in to the Vermont DMV at:

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Wait 2 weeks and call to check the status of your application. If there are no problems turnaround is generally 2-3 weeks.

As of 10/29/18, turnaround time is between 3-4 weeks. Registration generally takes the full month. Please plan accordingly.

Your bus is now legally registered as an RV regardless of your geographic location and the title or transferable registration that was issued will make it possible to retitle your bus in your home state with (hopefully) no issues, should you so choose. For most of us full timers it doesn't really matter as we're all over the place geographically.

**A NOTE ON THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TITLE AND TRANSFERABLE REGISTRATION**

As far as you should be concerned, there is none. Both designate ownership. If you look on the back of a transferable registration you will see a place to sign over your slip to another person in the event of a sale. Hence the added "transferable". Just like a title. A regular registration does not designate ownership. Only the title designates ownership. That is the difference. Depending on the age of the vehicle, and in some cases a few other stipulations, many states will not issue an original title. It does not matter. They are effectively the SAME thing. Please do not get confused by this or add fire to the discussion with anecdotal hypotheticals as every state will honor a transferable registration. One more time, when transferring to another state you will either receive a TITLE or a TRANSFERABLE REGISTRATION. Each state has a different policy and it does not matter which you receive back. A transferable registration is just as good as a title in every way.

Hope this helps everyone else struggling in the more difficult states. Leave a comment and tell me about your experiences.

Examples:

So I just leave the section on what type of vehicle it is blank, and send the money for motor home registration and the will know it's for a motorhome? How do I specify I want motor home registration?

Ol'DirtyHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:06 PM   #1122
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You don't need anything more than a BOS and filled out application. I have a Ga. title I am hanging onto because Vt. would not issue me one.
Awesome. Downloaded the application. It seems pretty straight forward. Did they tell you if the vin verification wasn't needed because it was over 15 years? Did your registration come as a motorhome? On the original post I didn't see anything stating that motorhome registration was what was being applied for. How do I specify it's for a motorhome?
Old 08-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #1123
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
In the Registration Plate Type box you want to mark it MH (Motorhome). it has a number designation, 19 or 119, something like that. I just got my temporary tag from them while they make my vanity plate. On the temporary registration it says International, Model-TK. I assume that means truck, waiting to see if the reg says MH. VIN ver. not needed on 15 years older or older.
I think Warewolf has it backwards, they don't need a title on older than 15 years. If it's newer , it needs a title.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #1124
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you.

Quote:
In the Registration Plate Type box you want to mark it MH (Motorhome). it has a number designation, 19 or 119, something like that. I just got my temporary tag from them while they make my vanity plate. On the temporary registration it says International, Model-TK. I assume that means truck, waiting to see if the reg says MH. VIN ver. not needed on 15 years older or older.
I think Warewolf has it backwards, they don't need a title on older than 15 years. If it's newer , it needs a title.
Awesome. Let me know how it goes for you. I will be trying this next pay day. Really want the motorhome registration so I can get cheaper insurance. But I will take any registration they give me.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:15 PM   #1125
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'DirtyHobo View Post
Awesome. Let me know how it goes for you. I will be trying this next pay day. Really want the motorhome registration so I can get cheaper insurance. But I will take any registration they give me.
I'm just waiting on the vanity plates. They have already cashed my check and sent temp tag. I expect plates any day now. I messed up and sent the wrong amount of money and had to adjust the form and resubmit with correct amount and it was all good. Can't wait to see the plate on the bus.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #1126
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I'm just waiting on the vanity plates. They have already cashed my check and sent temp tag. I expect plates any day now. I messed up and sent the wrong amount of money and had to adjust the form and resubmit with correct amount and it was all good. Can't wait to see the plate on the bus.
Won't it be so nice finally being to get it on the road? Did you send in a list of expenses like OP said to do? Show me some pictures of your bus if you get a chance.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:59 PM   #1127
Bus Geek

Quote:
Won't it be so nice finally being to get it on the road? Did you send in a list of expenses like OP said to do? Show me some pictures of your bus if you get a chance.
Only think keeping it off the road right now is no working rear lights. Someone coming monday afternoon to fix that.
You can see my build here:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...ist-22665.html
Old 08-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #1128
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Only think keeping it off the road right now is no working rear lights. Someone coming monday afternoon to fix that.
You can see my build here:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...ist-22665.html
Nice and big. She's a beaut.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #1129
Bus Geek

Quote:
Nice and big. She's a beaut.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #1130
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: 3500
Engine: 6.6L
Quote:
You don't need anything more than a BOS and filled out application. I have a Ga. title I am hanging onto because Vt. would not issue me one.
forums like this are great but you need to look into thing real hard wasnt it you marc who was harping on people because you thought everywhere was like your state and how easy it was for you to register in your home state .. and stop with telling everyone how your keeping your title because you dont like how vt does it its an a$$ move there are things called previous title and previous reg numbers stop advising title fraud
MIKE N STEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #1131
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE N STEPH View Post
forums like this are great but you need to look into thing real hard wasnt it you marc who was harping on people because you thought everywhere was like your state and how easy it was for you to register in your home state .. and stop with telling everyone how your keeping your title because you dont like how vt does it its an a$$ move there are things called previous title and previous reg numbers stop advising title fraud
How is it title fraud? I own a title to a bus, Vt. does not need a title or reissue one. That does not make my title invalid. When I go to sell my bus, the Ga. title is as valid as any other. Maybe you could qoute me a statute saying I'm wrong.

Am I required to destroy my title when I register in Vt.?
Old 08-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #1132
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
How is it title fraud? I own a title to a bus, Vt. does not need a title or reissue one. That does not make my title invalid. When I go to sell my bus, the Ga. title is as valid as any other. Maybe you could qoute me a statute saying I'm wrong.

Am I required to destroy my title when I register in Vt.?
Difference is Vermont's registration is a transferable registration, meaning that it is not just registration that gives you the right to drive it on the road but also proof of ownership.

The title is proof of ownership, once you register it in Vermont your title becomes invalid because their registration is proof of ownership. When you think about it can you imagine having 2 different proofs of ownership? One must supersede the other. Besides one now says motorhome and the other says bus, which is it? I am assuming motorhome, so the proof of ownership that goes with motorhome is the correct one.

In Georgia and any other "title" state the title is only proof of ownership and the registration is only permission to drive it.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #1133
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Difference is Vermont's registration is a transferable registration, meaning that it is not just registration that gives you the right to drive it on the road but also proof of ownership.

The title is proof of ownership, once you register it in Vermont your title becomes invalid because their registration is proof of ownership. When you think about it can you imagine having 2 different proofs of ownership? One must supersede the other. Besides one now says motorhome and the other says bus, which is it? I am assuming motorhome, so the proof of ownership that goes with motorhome is the correct one.

In Georgia and any other "title" state the title is only proof of ownership and the registration is only permission to drive it.
I'm still looking for the fraud I committed by keeping my title? I had a MH registration before it was a MH, is that registration the correct one, or the one that says it's a bus?
Old 08-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #1134
Bus Geek

The most recent of each category - proof of ownership vs registration - is the valid one.

VT's being a combination, supercedes both.

There is nothing fraudulent about hanging on to old outdated records, but next time you switch the vehicle's "virtual home" to another state, they will most likely ask you to surrender the most recent valid title.

To prevent fraudulent usage.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #1135
Mini-Skoolie

Keeping the title is not the fraud part. You stated that when you decide to sell the bus you will use your ga title which in fact is now a null and void document due to the fact your new legal ownership papers are within the state of vt
Old 08-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #1136
Bus Geek

Still not fraud, legally requires fraudulent intent.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #1137
Mini-Skoolie

Well he stated in a previous post when he decides to sell the bus he will use the ga title which is using an invalid legal document to transfer vehicle ownership. Maybe there is some other fun legal term for it but it seems to be fraud
Old 08-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #1138
Bus Geek

In practice, if nobody loses, he gains nothing extra from the deception, "no harm no foul", in effect unlikely to be any prosecution.

Even if detection were more likely rather than less.

The average USian commits three felonies a day without even being aware, so being practical about little issues like this will bring more peace of mind than nit picking.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:53 PM   #1139
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
We as skoolie owners have enough troubles with titles and registration that we do not need to end up being stuck with a bus sold without valid ownership papers. So I would hope if Marc were to ever sell the bus he would give the Vermont papers, and if he felt the old no longer valid title should go with it fine, but not the other way around. It is really all I am asking.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:04 PM   #1140
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
We as skoolie owners have enough troubles with titles and registration that we do not need to end up being stuck with a bus sold without valid ownership papers. So I would hope if Marc were to ever sell the bus he would give the Vermont papers, and if he felt the old no longer valid title should go with it fine, but not the other way around. It is really all I am asking.
I have a PA title for my bus and a VT registration. I'm not convinced that the transferrable VT registration renders my PA title void - to my knowledge, nobody here has confirmed this one way or another in communication with Vermont's or any other state's DMV (I will happily be corrected if someone has gotten affirmation of this and I've missed it in the 400 or so pages of this thread). If VT had intended for my VT registration to replace my title, they would have requested the original title instead of a copy, like they do for vehicles younger than 15 years where they actually provide a new title as well as the registration.

I am just speculating, however. I will find out from PennDOT whether my PA title or VA registration is the ownership document of record when I am finished with my conversion and ready to title and register it as a motorhome in PA. If I had to sell the bus instead, I would sign over both the title and the VT transferrable registration and the buyer (poor fool he or she) could use whichever worked for them.