Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 02:23 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
How to immediately register your bus as an RV without conversion:

Last updated Mar 4 2020

UPDATE: Per the moderator of this forum, this POST will be kept updated with the most recent information based on member experiences. You do not need to scroll through the whole thread for the newest information.
Everything written here is up to date, however, please check the last few replies for the most recent info as processing time may vary. Registration costs increase by a few dollars every now and then so check for yourself before sending out your money.
-----
I've used this method frequently for old abandoned motorcycles I bought that had no title.

Many states have hoops that they'll make you jump through before they'll designate your skoolie as an RV. "Meet four out of seven requirements" or such nonsense. New York, where I reside, is one of those states. They are a PITA with everything vehicle related, and I know many states are following in the same suit.

Vermont, on the other hand, is not one of these states. As of the date I'm writing this, all they requested from me was that I remove the school insignia and repaint the bus. They didn't require an inspection or proof of conversion. It should be noted, however, that I have a bus with hydraulic brakes -- although, under motor home classification they don't even ask about air brakes. Check with your state to see if you need anything extra to drive with air brakes.

Vermont will offer a transferrable registration for any vehicle over 15 years old. They won't give you a title -- but fear not, you can use this registration to then title your bus in your resident state if it's really that big of an issue. Realistically, it shouldn't be. I have been using out of state plates in NY for years without issue. If your bus is newer than 15 years you will receive a bonafide Vermont title.

- First and foremost, for transferable registrations (<15yrs), make sure you include a copy of your title. If you are expecting to receive a title (>15yrs) be sure to include your ORIGINAL title. If your bus has no title, make sure you have a bill of sale and a vin verification, verifying it's not stolen. As of now (01/01/17), it seems that a vin verification is only necessary if you have no ownership papers.

Vermont's application is named VD119. It is the appplication used for title, registration, renewal, transfer, tax, et cetera. Listed below are the steps I used to complete the form:

- Fill out Section 1 with your basic personal information.

- You can skip Sections 2 and 3A. To be safe, I completed 3B with the sellers info.

- Under Section 4, check "new registration". Skip the bit about plate # and expiration, as this is a new registration. When it asks for your registration/plate type, manually write in "Motor Home" followed by 19. I believe this is the code they use in the system to designate personal use.

- Fill out Section 5 with the relevant info from your title. If you do not have a title, fill it out as best you can. Beneath that, just to be safe, I listed the amount of axles, empty weight, and gross weight of my bus under "trucks".

- Under Section 6, write in the price you purchased the bus for. Vermont uses the purchase value -- or the listed NADA value -- whichever is greater, to calculate sales tax. Most buses are not listed in NADA. In this case, simply use 6 percent of what you paid for the bus. In my case, 2550 x .06(%) = $153. Write your total under "Net Taxable". Vermont will not accept 6% of ANYTHING less than $500 total. If you you were "gifted" the bus, calculate 6% of $500, but be warned that in my experience you'll likely receive your check back with a note to use NADA value instead.

- Leave Section 7 blank unless you are tax exempt or purchasing a vehicle over 25 yrs old. I do not know how that works if your vehicle is older.

Add up your fees in Section 9 and figure out the total. For most of us, this should just be the registration fee for a Motor Home (As of now, $76 for one year or $140 for two years) and the tax calculated previously in Section 6.

If, however, your bus is newer than 15 years, and you are expecting a title back, include an extra $35 title fee. Check should be issued to "Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles" for the total combined amount. For added comfort, add an ADDITIONAL handwritten page outlining what you would like to accomplish and itemizing the fees you are paying.

So just to be repetitive:

Transferable registrations: Buses 15 years or older, include COPY of title + bill of sale + completed application + registration fee ($76/1yr or $140/2yrs) + 6% VT tax (or proof that tax has already been paid) + handwritten note itemizing your costs

Titles: Buses newer than 15 years old, include ORIGINAL title + bill of sale + completed application + registration fee ($76 or $140) + title fee ($35) + 6% VT tax (or proof it's paid) + handwritten note itemizing your costs

**If you do not have a transferable registration or title from the previous owner, include a vin verification.**

Sign your application at the bottom and mail all that stuff in to the Vermont DMV at:

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Wait 2 weeks and call to check the status of your application. If there are no problems turnaround is generally 2-3 weeks.

As of 10/29/18, turnaround time is between 3-4 weeks. Registration generally takes the full month. Please plan accordingly.

Your bus is now legally registered as an RV regardless of your geographic location and the title or transferable registration that was issued will make it possible to retitle your bus in your home state with (hopefully) no issues, should you so choose. For most of us full timers it doesn't really matter as we're all over the place geographically.

**A NOTE ON THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TITLE AND TRANSFERABLE REGISTRATION**

As far as you should be concerned, there is none. Both designate ownership. If you look on the back of a transferable registration you will see a place to sign over your slip to another person in the event of a sale. Hence the added "transferable". Just like a title. A regular registration does not designate ownership. Only the title designates ownership. That is the difference. Depending on the age of the vehicle, and in some cases a few other stipulations, many states will not issue an original title. It does not matter. They are effectively the SAME thing. Please do not get confused by this or add fire to the discussion with anecdotal hypotheticals as every state will honor a transferable registration. One more time, when transferring to another state you will either receive a TITLE or a TRANSFERABLE REGISTRATION. Each state has a different policy and it does not matter which you receive back. A transferable registration is just as good as a title in every way.

Hope this helps everyone else struggling in the more difficult states. Leave a comment and tell me about your experiences.

Examples:

warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Ignore the typos ... posted this from my phone.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 71
Wow, This is AMAZING, I don't live in Vermont but taking this information to compare to the process in Illinois will be extremely helpful. Thank you!!
DreamWeaverBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:16 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeaverBus View Post
Wow, This is AMAZING, I don't live in Vermont but taking this information to compare to the process in Illinois will be extremely helpful. Thank you!!
I don't either. They will still register it.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:12 AM   #5

So they do not require you to have a residence in the state to title a vehicle?
Dgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgrace View Post
So they do not require you to have a residence in the state to title a vehicle?
You will receive a transferable registration if your vehicle is older than 15 yrs. if your vehicle is newer, you receive a title. Either way, no, you do not have to be a resident of a Vermont.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:51 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
I was reading the form and the instructions.... my bus is a 2005 so is less than 15 years old.

What about VIN validation?

The instructions say that the original title needs to be submitted, will they do it by mail with just a copy?

I also saw something on the instructions where it indicated section 7 needed to be completed.... the following is from the section of the instructions titled "Used Vehicles which have been titled"

Quote:
• Original previous Certificate of Title assigned to you by all parties on the title and bills of sale as necessary to show complete chain of ownership. All liens must be released.
• Death Certificate and/or probate papers are required when one or more previous owners are deceased.
• Odometer Disclosure Statement required if vehicle is 9 years old or newer, use form TA-VT-05 or have buyer and seller both sign the back of the title.
• If registered out of state to the applicant section 7 needs to be completed.
• If registered out of state to the applicant proof of tax paid is required, or tax on NADA value will be collected at the time of registration.
#1 - see my earlier question.
#2 will not apply to me since it was a dealer purchase.
#3 will not apply to me since it's more than 9 years old.
#4 - Will need to figure out how to complete this if it is necessary. Should not be since I did not trade in a vehicle for this one.
#5 - I paid the tax at the time of purchase so I'm assuming a copy of the bill of sale will prove that.

I'm hoping that Tennessee will change it over and register it as an RV right away but in case they want to give me grief over it I just want to make sure I have everything covered to go this route.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:48 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
I was reading the form and the instructions.... my bus is a 2005 so is less than 15 years old.
Less than 15 years old you will receive a title. They will give a transferrable registration in place of a title on a vehicle over 15 yrs. If you do not have the title and only have a bill of sale, you need a vin verification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67
What about VIN validation?
You generally only need a VIN verification if you bought your vehicle without a title or transferable registration. In the case you have no proof of ownership other than a bill of sale, you will need a vin verification performed and mailed in with the app.

Quote:
The instructions say that the original title needs to be submitted, will they do it by mail with just a copy?
Yes, just a copy.

Quote:
I also saw something on the instructions where it indicated section 7 needed to be completed.... the following is from the section of the instructions titled "Used Vehicles which have been titled"

#1 - see my earlier question.
#2 will not apply to me since it was a dealer purchase.
#3 will not apply to me since it's more than 9 years old.
#4 - Will need to figure out how to complete this if it is necessary. Should not be since I did not trade in a vehicle for this one.
#5 - I paid the tax at the time of purchase so I'm assuming a copy of the bill of sale will prove that.

I'm hoping that Tennessee will change it over and register it as an RV right away but in case they want to give me grief over it I just want to make sure I have everything covered to go this route.
Section 7 is inapplicable unless your vehicle is over 25 yrs. As for the tax bit, include a receipt to prove itnwas paid. If there is a difference between what you paid and the 6% Vermont charges, you owe them that. If there is a difference between the cost of your vehicle and NADA value, you owe them that. Read it all carefully... minus the dealership bit I suggest you fill out the form exactly as I outline. I even mentioned to attach copies in my original post. I have had successes with the format I posted -- that's why I shared it with the forum. Hope you have luck in TN but you will have no issues registering out of state if you need to.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:10 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Smile

Just confirming Vermont cashed my check today and I should be receiving my registration and plates with the next week or so
Old 10-18-2016, 09:58 PM   #10
Bus Nut

When did you send it?
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
When did you send it?
Around the time I started this thread on Oct 5th. I'll post again when I receive the plates.

Edit: spoke too soon, plates arrived today!! 14 day turnaround and I'm registered.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel Engine
Rated Cap: 83
I am giving this a shot as well. I sent my application last week. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCormick View Post
I am giving this a shot as well. I sent my application last week. Fingers crossed.
Good luck Justin, I am following your build... post with success in another week or so
Old 10-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Thinking I may go this route too now.... with everything going on I may not even be in Tennessee any longer by the end of the year.... so will be nice to be able to just update a Vermont registration with a new address and keep the existing plate.

I noticed in the instructions I think it was, there is a two year option for registration.... did you go for 2 or only 1?
Old 10-23-2016, 05:25 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Fisher Body
Chassis: GM "B" Platform
Engine: 350 TBI Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 8
I take it this method can be used for all sorts of vehicles?

I have a truck that belonged to my late grandpa that he never had a title for, He always had meant to get it, but it just never happened before he started to decline in health. One of the reasons the project has been on hold is the title, the other being that I was an unpaid intern for most of last year.
Stewzer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #16
Bus Nut

I think the OP said in the first post that he did it for motorcycles, so I take that to mean you can do it for anything.

If you don't have a title and your grandpa has passed then you'll need the probate papers that show interest in the vehicle passing to you, or other documentation that shows it is your vehicle now (bill of sale, notarized gift statement, etc). You should be able to file a lost title in your state to get the old one cancelled and a new one issued, which you could then use in the transfer process (along with the other documentation previously mentioned). Every state is different so I can't advise you on that any further than I already have.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:40 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
I think the OP said in the first post that he did it for motorcycles, so I take that to mean you can do it for anything.

If you don't have a title and your grandpa has passed then you'll need the probate papers that show interest in the vehicle passing to you, or other documentation that shows it is your vehicle now (bill of sale, notarized gift statement, etc). You should be able to file a lost title in your state to get the old one cancelled and a new one issued, which you could then use in the transfer process (along with the other documentation previously mentioned). Every state is different so I can't advise you on that any further than I already have.
This is correct, but you don't need to file for a lost title in your state. Either way I would get a vin verification from your local sheriff run to prove it isn't stolen. Mail that in with your bill of sale (write one up yourself if you must ... mine have all been hand written) and send a check covering the sales tax on your purchase value -- or NADA value, whichever is higher) and the cost to register whatever type of vehicle it is. Also include the application. Obviously you'll fill it out slightly differently. If your vehicle is over 15yrs they'll send you a transferable registration which you can then use to retitle in your home state. If it's newer than 15 yrs they'll send you an actual title. Best of luck.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:53 PM   #18
Bus Nut

I'll be mailing mine off tomorrow, wish me luck.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #19
Bus Nut

My paperwork is on its way.... fingers and toes crossed.... it will be 181 bucks well spent if it works out (I opted for the 2 yr registration - 140, 35 for title, 6 for warranty (whatever THAT'S supposed to be for, but the instructions said it had to be paid... it is what it is)....

VT form, copy of title front and back, and the dealership gave me a separate statement of vehicle tax paid (7%) so I sent a copy of that as well.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
My paperwork is on its way.... fingers and toes crossed.... it will be 181 bucks well spent if it works out (I opted for the 2 yr registration - 140, 35 for title, 6 for warranty (whatever THAT'S supposed to be for, but the instructions said it had to be paid... it is what it is)....

VT form, copy of title front and back, and the dealership gave me a separate statement of vehicle tax paid (7%) so I sent a copy of that as well.
Did you include sales tax, or proof that sales tax was already paid? If not I don't believe you will like the outcome...

Edit: oops, just saw your edit. Post when you get those plates!!