Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 10:09 PM   #61
Bus Crazy

Not badly enough to come get it. I just saw this; sorry.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #62
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
It might just be me, but a two-week victory lap seems either very excessive,
Or reeeeee-eally slow...

So the week of the 4th, my mechanic took off for a trip out of town. Been putting off getting the inspection sticker because of that. I haven't touched the bus for 2 months- family drama, which came to a head last week. Which, I had off for a much needed vacation, but... became a week in hell instead.

Now I have a Transit Connect I have to modify (bed platform is getting changed into a couch, solar I want to use to charge some batteries for boats/trolling motors), a truck bed I've needed to build for months now, and my bus build is another two months behind schedule.

Now the upside to most of that is, its now over. I'm planning on getting some hired help mid next month to make headway on the final details. There's a lot left to do, but the majority is behind me.I know how I want things to work.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #63
Mini-Skoolie

Just bought my bus

I brought my bus home yesterday, I live in Pelham, NH. I understand the current rules for registering, I currently have a 60 day plate from another State. I have purchase paperwork and title is being sent to me by the dealer.

I am going to remove the seats, floor and ceiling and get all of the dirty work done before I go to the town for their needs, as it is a registered title just not here, yet.

I'm looking at all of the RSA needs, and think I can fulfill them.

Have an inspection guy who can look at the bus, it's in good shape anyway.

Also, just so you guys know, I'm a sitting State Representative. Let's see if we can work on some changes to the legislation to make it a bit more clear as to how this process can be streamlined. Because I own one, I can't be involved in a vote on committee or in the House if it makes it there, but I can introduce something that could possible help out if we can get it to pass...
NHSchoolieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #64
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSchoolieGuy View Post
I brought my bus home yesterday, I live in Pelham, NH.

Hey, you're just south of me! I'm in Windham, let me know if you'd like to network.

Quote:
Also, just so you guys know, I'm a sitting State Representative. Let's see if we can work on some changes to the legislation to make it a bit more clear as to how this process can be streamlined. Because I own one, I can't be involved in a vote on committee or in the House if it makes it there, but I can introduce something that could possible help out if we can get it to pass...

This sounds interesting to me. Perhaps we could finally see a NH Skoolie meetup for this one.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #65
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
Hey, you're just south of me! I'm in Windham, let me know if you'd like to network.

Absolutely!!

This sounds interesting to me. Perhaps we could finally see a NH Skoolie meetup for this one.
that sounds great!!
Old 09-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #66
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
that sounds great!!
and... I sent you a PM
Old 09-13-2019, 01:15 PM   #67
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Welcome to the site NHSG.
Hopefully you have the patience to go through with a conversion from what sounds like start to finish.
Not to discourage you in any way, simply a friendly forewarning: Unfortunately it can quickly become a daunting exercise for the faint of heart, (and wallet).

Interesting that you're in the legislature.
I'm not sure if anything needs tweaking on the legislative side, when it comes to converting a school bus to a motorhome/camper/RV.

The issues most encounter seem to be at DMV. When someone goes to get a bus title changed to motorhome, the individual DMV/DOS inspectors seem to vary in interpreting the guidelines prior to approving or declining someone's effort.
A quick example: on overhead flashing lights. Do they need complete removal, or can one simply paint over them?
Removal seems to be the prevalent mandate, but there are those who simply paint over the lenses and are able to get approval at the DMV to reclassify on title.

Best of luck to you going forward, and when you get settled in here don't forget to fill in more info in your profile regarding your specific bus.
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #68
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Welcome to the site NHSG.
Hopefully you have the patience to go through with a conversion from what sounds like start to finish.
Not to discourage you in any way, simply a friendly forewarning: Unfortunately it can quickly become a daunting exercise for the faint of heart, (and wallet).

Interesting that you're in the legislature.
I'm not sure if anything needs tweaking on the legislative side, when it comes to converting a school bus to a motorhome/camper/RV.

The issues most encounter seem to be at DMV. When someone goes to get a bus title changed to motorhome, the individual DMV/DOS inspectors seem to vary in interpreting the guidelines prior to approving or declining someone's effort.
A quick example: on overhead flashing lights. Do they need complete removal, or can one simply paint over them?
Removal seems to be the prevalent mandate, but there are those who simply paint over the lenses and are able to get approval at the DMV to reclassify on title.

Best of luck to you going forward, and when you get settled in here don't forget to fill in more info in your profile regarding your specific bus.
Thank you so much for reaching out. We are currently in the beginning of our conversion, just brought the bus home yesterday. We've been planning this endeavor for about 2 years, we've been learning online and talking with friends that are submersed in the skoolie life. We will not be living full time, it will be a vacation RV for us. As we near the age of retirement (just a couple of years away) we'll want to have it ready for travel. Mostly local but of course for long trips as well. We understand the costs, and really want to do the conversion ourselves, and we know most of it. We have a heavy equipment/diesel mechanic we trust, we'll do the rest. This is not a project we'll complete in a few short months, but rather over the next year. Again thanks!!
Old 09-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #69
Bus Crazy

Quote:
We will not be living full time, it will be a vacation RV for us. As we near the age of retirement (just a couple of years away) we'll want to have it ready for travel. Mostly local but of course for long trips as well.
Mine was built to be a full-time rig, more on that in a bit...

Quote:
We have a heavy equipment/diesel mechanic we trust, we'll do the rest.
Are you guys looking to do anything like a transmission swap? Its something I've been mulling over in the future and I don't know anybody who can point me in the right direction.

Quote:
This is not a project we'll complete in a few short months, but rather over the next year.
A word of caution (again, coming from a guy who built his rig for full-time living): I gave myself a year, and I'm going to be finishing only soonish (year 2.5 right now). It really depends on how much time you have on your hands, whether you can hire help or not, etc, but especially if you're considering NH winters, doing it right takes time. In hindsight I'd think of a year as a near breakneck pace to complete what I've done.

People not doing full demo, or expecting the bus to hibernate in the winter probably will not need as much time to finish. Do you have a build thread yet? Or a floor plan?
Old 10-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #70

Wow! I’m so glad to see this post, I’ve been dreading the process of converting the title status and now thanks to you I know it’s possible. Thank you for doing the hard work of laying this process out. I’m over in Newton NH and we’ve had our bus for a little over a year. My process will certainly contain a few more headaches because the person I bought mine from never had the title put in his name. In other words I have a Virginia title, from a dealer, with his name on it. I’m assuming I’ll need to attempt getting a replacement title. We’ll see, anyway, I’m glad you guys are here, and so local as well! I hope to see you out on the road!
stevog1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #71
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevog1981 View Post
Wow! I’m so glad to see this post, I’ve been dreading the process of converting the title status and now thanks to you I know it’s possible. Thank you for doing the hard work of laying this process out. I’m over in Newton NH and we’ve had our bus for a little over a year. My process will certainly contain a few more headaches because the person I bought mine from never had the title put in his name. In other words I have a Virginia title, from a dealer, with his name on it. I’m assuming I’ll need to attempt getting a replacement title. We’ll see, anyway, I’m glad you guys are here, and so local as well! I hope to see you out on the road!
Go to the UserCP and fill out your profile with your location and bus info, it'll help answer your questions. What year is your bus? Older than 15 years old and title is not required. Get a good Bill of Sale. Otherwise the seller is going to have to apply for a title in his name he can sign over to you. A replacement title will be the same as what you have only not signed. You would need to get the dealer to resign it to you.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:29 AM   #72
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Go to the UserCP and fill out your profile with your location and bus info, it'll help answer your questions. What year is your bus? Older than 15 years old and title is not required. Get a good Bill of Sale. Otherwise the seller is going to have to apply for a title in his name he can sign over to you. A replacement title will be the same as what you have only not signed. You would need to get the dealer to resign it to you.
The other option is to obtain a Bill of sale that matches the VA title......
Old 07-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #73
Bus Crazy

Insurance Update:

Both my rigs are insured by AllState through Camden Mitchell.
camden.mitchell@allstate.com
Old 03-01-2021, 08:27 AM   #74

I am in Rochester, NH. I just purchased a Shuttle bus. Was reading your post. How did you make out? I am able to use the owners plates to get it home and start the conversion. I was planning on removing seats and using as a truck to move to florida. Then start after moving.
rjgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:54 AM   #75
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgraph View Post
I am in Rochester, NH. I just purchased a Shuttle bus. Was reading your post. How did you make out? I am able to use the owners plates to get it home and start the conversion. I was planning on removing seats and using as a truck to move to florida. Then start after moving.
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:11 PM   #76
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgraph View Post
Since yours was a shuttle bus the paperwork might be a little easier. Check your title. If the body style is simply 'Bus' then just register it as a 'Bus' and you are good to go.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:33 PM   #77

Year: 2006
Chassis: International
Engine: CE200/VT365
Rated Cap: 16 + 2WC
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
Insurance Update:

Both my rigs are insured by AllState through Camden Mitchell.
camden.mitchell@allstate.com
Thanks for this! I reached out to Camden’s office and Leyna was super helpful and got me coverage super fast!
Ldavenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:08 PM   #78

Are you still in Dover?
KD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:49 PM   #79
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: G3500
Engine: Chevrolet 6.0L
Hi all! I'm in the Lakes Region! aka: Hill NH. Just registered our bus today. Now on the hunt for insurance. Not fun.
BongoBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:47 PM   #80
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Collins
Engine: V8 Duramax 6.6
Thanks for sharing your insurance agent kazetsukai. I'm moving to Randolph NH soon and was starting to look for insurance.

I contacted Marshal Insurance for home/auto insurance and asked if they do busses too (I just have a small chevy cutaway). I'll let you know what they reply with. For context, I'm only looking for liability and my bus is already registered/titled as an RV to Vermont.

Also, though I don't recommend it, I'll gently point to anyone that doesn't know, New Hampshire is the only US State that has no laws requiring auto insurance (loans/leases will require it by the lender, though).
Woodams is offline   Reply With Quote