Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 64
Year: 1995
Engine: 12 valve 8.3L Cummins
How to retitle bus to motor home

Hello. Hoping someone can clarify a couple things concerning Title and Registration!

We bought a 95 Bluebird. It is Titled as a "Bus" in the state of Arizona.

We registered this last year in Vermont and have Vermont tags. Vermont will not give a new title because the bus is more than 15 years old.

I now want to get the bus insured but am finding out that because the Bus is titled as a Bus I will need commercial insurance (not an option!)

QUESTION....Can I retitle this as a Motor Home/RV in another state? Do I have to do this in my current state (Maryland) even though I don't intend on staying in this state?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
brightond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
Skoolie
 
Ciscokid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 128
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Me
Chassis: 2001 IC
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
Had no issues in Indiana. They want to see pics of items that pertained to a rv, police man came to verify. Took that form to the BMV and done.
Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
Skoolie
 
eethan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 157
Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 54
Im in Indiana and i had luck retitling as RV in vermont (my bus is also >15 years old so i didnt get a title) but it took a few trips to a few different BMV centers until i found someone willing to transfer the title back no questions asked...
eethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 7,187
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightond View Post
Hello. Hoping someone can clarify a couple things concerning Title and Registration!

We bought a 95 Bluebird. It is Titled as a "Bus" in the state of Arizona.

We registered this last year in Vermont and have Vermont tags. Vermont will not give a new title because the bus is more than 15 years old.

I now want to get the bus insured but am finding out that because the Bus is titled as a Bus I will need commercial insurance (not an option!)

QUESTION....Can I retitle this as a Motor Home/RV in another state? Do I have to do this in my current state (Maryland) even though I don't intend on staying in this state?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

No matter what you title it as, your insurance will want to see a completed conversion of at least 4 of the 6 requirements in order for them to insure it as such. In my case I was able to secure a liability policy for way cheaper than RV coverage will cost. You can retitle in any state (may be a few exceptions) as an RV once it is an RV. Some have gotten the DMV paperwork done without an inspection, then have trouble getting insurance because it's not an RV yet.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
Skoolie
 
eethan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 157
Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
No matter what you title it as, your insurance will want to see a completed conversion of at least 4 of the 6 requirements in order for them to insure it as such. In my case I was able to secure a liability policy for way cheaper than RV coverage will cost. You can retitle in any state (may be a few exceptions) as an RV once it is an RV. Some have gotten the DMV paperwork done without an inspection, then have trouble getting insurance because it's not an RV yet.

mine didnt, but i think them not asking for proof of conversion is fairly far and few between. (local place through progressive)
eethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 7,187
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by eethan View Post
mine didnt, but i think them not asking for proof of conversion is fairly far and few between. (local place through progressive)
If you have coverage through Progressive, start looking for a new company. Progressive will no longer insure converted school buses. They won't cancel existing policies, but won't renew. The DMV places not asking for proof seem to be many and often. Getting it by the insurance company is another issue you won't get by on. If you do and have an accident you will find them denying the claim.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:25 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 871
No one statement applies to all states.

Agents with RV / DIY trailer experience can help **a lot** even with companies that say no way when you call them direct.

Again, the **insurance** process not just title / registration, varies **hugely** from one state to the next.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #8
Skoolie
 
Ciscokid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 128
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Me
Chassis: 2001 IC
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
State farm is the place to go. I have a large woodstove in ours and not even a question about it. Does help if you already have a policy with them prior adding your new RV
Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 7,187
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciscokid View Post
State farm is the place to go. I have a large woodstove in ours and not even a question about it. Does help if you already have a policy with them prior adding your new RV
Surprisingly as much as I stand behind them for their coverage, they were extremely high for a quote on mine as an RV. I have all my insurance with them for the last 30+ years with no claims, clean driving record. I doubt I will use them for the RV.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:03 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 64
Year: 1995
Engine: 12 valve 8.3L Cummins
Maybe this is a stupid question...

If the bus is Titled in AZ and Registered in VT can I get it insured in one of those states without changing anything?
brightond is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.