Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #21
Skoolie
 
HappyInTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 156
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblingmoon View Post
I'm currently in the progress of converting it. I have pretty much everything I need right now to put in it and it be finished. The only reason I havent yet is because I have all the parts, but still have to spend a lot on supplies and it's very open right now with flooring and walls done, and we have to drive it to south Carolina for 5 days on July 6th. So we have to get it insured before then but no one will. Only one would do it but once I sent pictures, they said it don't meet requirements and has to be converted fully before I can be insured. Please help me, I have to take the bus on this trip and need insurance
It was great talking to you on the phone today and learning about your skoolie plans. Feel free to call me on Friday and I will put the policies in place for you! Thanks so much.
__________________
Serenity Bus Project - Our website/blog & Youtube www.serenitybusproject.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4RThGB-Hw9fUirF836rQ
I write Skoolie insurance policies in TN/GA!https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/i-can-get-your-skoolie-insured-in-tn-ga-22233.html
HappyInTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #22
Skoolie
 
HappyInTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 156
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
How difficult is it to get licensed for additional states? It seems like there are enough skoolie members having insurance problems that it would be worth some effort.
If I were an independent, it wouldn't be too difficult.. However I am a captive agent meaning my company doesn't let us poach other Liberty Mutual agency states. I only have GA along with my TN license because Chattanooga is a boarder city. Thanks though for the thought.... I wish!
__________________
Serenity Bus Project - Our website/blog & Youtube www.serenitybusproject.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4RThGB-Hw9fUirF836rQ
I write Skoolie insurance policies in TN/GA!https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/i-can-get-your-skoolie-insured-in-tn-ga-22233.html
HappyInTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #23
Skoolie
 
HappyInTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 156
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Or perhaps wake a few of your buddies in other states up to the possibility of a small but very loyal market opportunity.
I recently found out that the different states all have different rules when it comes to skoolies and sadly, most can not write them as easily as we can here in TN.
__________________
Serenity Bus Project - Our website/blog & Youtube www.serenitybusproject.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4RThGB-Hw9fUirF836rQ
I write Skoolie insurance policies in TN/GA!https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/i-can-get-your-skoolie-insured-in-tn-ga-22233.html
HappyInTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Verbena, Alabama
Posts: 27
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 3800 DT466e, Navistar
Rated Cap: 72
I'm in Alabama do u know any agents here that can help?
Jo_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #25
Skoolie
 
HappyInTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 156
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo_97 View Post
I'm in Alabama do u know any agents here that can help?
I'm so sorry for the delay in my response.... I was on vacation. In Alabama I highly recommend National General 877-468-3466 ask for a local agent. They do a good job in AL for skoolies. Hope this helps
__________________
Serenity Bus Project - Our website/blog & Youtube www.serenitybusproject.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4RThGB-Hw9fUirF836rQ
I write Skoolie insurance policies in TN/GA!https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/i-can-get-your-skoolie-insured-in-tn-ga-22233.html
HappyInTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie
 
xrw44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: GA
Posts: 28
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e v8 turbo
Rated Cap: was 72, now 3
I have insured all my vehicles with Brian and saved some money. He is quick and accurate in his service. He is also converting a bus for his family. I highly recommend you consider making him your issurance guy.
__________________
No build thread but pictures and text are at
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/members/16889-albums.html
xrw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #27
Skoolie
 
firebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waltham MA
Posts: 186
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Engine: Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
MA Liberty Mutual

Brian, if you're still around and looking at this thread:

I don't know if you can answer this or not, but I figured I'd ask. I know MA is not your jurisdiction, but maybe you could just take your best guess based on your experience.

I and my Ford E350 short bus are in MA. My bus is fully coverted to an RV, but when I asked around about coverage for a conversion I couldn't find any. I told Progressive it was a bus and they said they only cared about the official VIN designation, which is Ford E350 Econoline. So I got insurance through them, but they sent me a notice they are discontinuing me because they don't like my proof of residency - even though it's good enough for me to get a Real ID. They want a utility bill in my name and will accept nothing else, which I can't provide because, since I'm in my Mom's home caring for her, the utilities are not in my name.

Anyway, I figured now would be a good time to look for other coverage, and I ended up with a policy from Liberty Mutual that is cheaper than Progressive.

When applying for the quote online, I entered the VIN of my bus. As I said, the VIN lists the vehicle as a 1991 Ford E350 Econoline, with no mention anywhere of it being a bus. When I registered it, while insured by Progressive, the "body type" was listed as Van. On the Liberty Mutual website, where they summarize coverage, it's referred to as a TRUCK, but on the actual insurance binder the body type is blank.

So I have two questions:
1) Will Liberty Mutual do some kind of deeper research to determine that body type, and find out it's a bus?
2) If I ever file a claim, that would almost certainly lead to the discovery that the vehicle is a bus. Would Liberty Mutual deny my claim, even though I haven't done anything deceptive (they only asked for the VIN, after all)? Would they more likely pay it and then cancel me?

I do not have coverage for damage to my own vehicle, only liability and the minimum personal injury for myself that's required by law in MA.

Thanks a million if you get a chance to answer this, Brian!
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:13 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Salem, MA
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
Brian, if you're still around and looking at this thread:

I don't know if you can answer this or not, but I figured I'd ask. I know MA is not your jurisdiction, but maybe you could just take your best guess based on your experience.

I and my Ford E350 short bus are in MA. My bus is fully coverted to an RV, but when I asked around about coverage for a conversion I couldn't find any. I told Progressive it was a bus and they said they only cared about the official VIN designation, which is Ford E350 Econoline. So I got insurance through them, but they sent me a notice they are discontinuing me because they don't like my proof of residency - even though it's good enough for me to get a Real ID. They want a utility bill in my name and will accept nothing else, which I can't provide because, since I'm in my Mom's home caring for her, the utilities are not in my name.

Anyway, I figured now would be a good time to look for other coverage, and I ended up with a policy from Liberty Mutual that is cheaper than Progressive.

When applying for the quote online, I entered the VIN of my bus. As I said, the VIN lists the vehicle as a 1991 Ford E350 Econoline, with no mention anywhere of it being a bus. When I registered it, while insured by Progressive, the "body type" was listed as Van. On the Liberty Mutual website, where they summarize coverage, it's referred to as a TRUCK, but on the actual insurance binder the body type is blank.

So I have two questions:
1) Will Liberty Mutual do some kind of deeper research to determine that body type, and find out it's a bus?
2) If I ever file a claim, that would almost certainly lead to the discovery that the vehicle is a bus. Would Liberty Mutual deny my claim, even though I haven't done anything deceptive (they only asked for the VIN, after all)? Would they more likely pay it and then cancel me?

I do not have coverage for damage to my own vehicle, only liability and the minimum personal injury for myself that's required by law in MA.

Thanks a million if you get a chance to answer this, Brian!
Hello fellow MA skoolie owner! I too am through liberty mutual, though it's through Safeco. My Vin shows antique auto so not sure what they're going to do. Interested in hearing the follow up.
ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #29
Skoolie
 
firebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waltham MA
Posts: 186
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Engine: Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
My Vin shows antique auto so not sure what they're going to do. Interested in hearing the follow up.
Hi Ashley! When are we having our MA skoolie meetup??

I thought about trying to register as antique - I'm only 1991 but technically it's antique. Definitely cheaper registration, but not sure being an antique is a good thing in the eyes of insurance, which is why I didn't go that route.

That's weird your VIN would show antique, though - I thought the VIN was assigned when the vehicle was made, and it couldn't have been antique then, right?
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Salem, MA
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
Hi Ashley! When are we having our MA skoolie meetup??



I thought about trying to register as antique - I'm only 1991 but technically it's antique. Definitely cheaper registration, but not sure being an antique is a good thing in the eyes of insurance, which is why I didn't go that route.



That's weird your VIN would show antique, though - I thought the VIN was assigned when the vehicle was made, and it couldn't have been antique then, right?
hey anytime. My bus need some new glow plugs first before traveling anywhere but there's plenty of space to bring yours to mine.

I don't know why their system shows it as an antique auto but maybe it's because the title was changed to motorhome and their system is stupid? Anyway haven't heard back from them yet and I'm taking that as a good sign for now.
ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
insurance coverage

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.