Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblingmoon View Post
I'm currently in the progress of converting it. I have pretty much everything I need right now to put in it and it be finished. The only reason I havent yet is because I have all the parts, but still have to spend a lot on supplies and it's very open right now with flooring and walls done, and we have to drive it to south Carolina for 5 days on July 6th. So we have to get it insured before then but no one will. Only one would do it but once I sent pictures, they said it don't meet requirements and has to be converted fully before I can be insured. Please help me, I have to take the bus on this trip and need insurance
It was great talking to you on the phone today and learning about your skoolie plans. Feel free to call me on Friday and I will put the policies in place for you! Thanks so much.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #22
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
How difficult is it to get licensed for additional states? It seems like there are enough skoolie members having insurance problems that it would be worth some effort.
If I were an independent, it wouldn't be too difficult.. However I am a captive agent meaning my company doesn't let us poach other Liberty Mutual agency states. I only have GA along with my TN license because Chattanooga is a boarder city. Thanks though for the thought.... I wish!
Old 06-12-2018, 04:25 PM   #23
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Or perhaps wake a few of your buddies in other states up to the possibility of a small but very loyal market opportunity.
I recently found out that the different states all have different rules when it comes to skoolies and sadly, most can not write them as easily as we can here in TN.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 3800 DT466e, Navistar
Rated Cap: 72
I'm in Alabama do u know any agents here that can help?
Jo_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:55 PM   #25
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo_97 View Post
I'm in Alabama do u know any agents here that can help?
I'm so sorry for the delay in my response.... I was on vacation. In Alabama I highly recommend National General 877-468-3466 ask for a local agent. They do a good job in AL for skoolies. Hope this helps
Old 01-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e v8 turbo
Rated Cap: was 72, now 3
I have insured all my vehicles with Brian and saved some money. He is quick and accurate in his service. He is also converting a bus for his family. I highly recommend you consider making him your issurance guy.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
MA Liberty Mutual

Brian, if you're still around and looking at this thread:

I don't know if you can answer this or not, but I figured I'd ask. I know MA is not your jurisdiction, but maybe you could just take your best guess based on your experience.

I and my Ford E350 short bus are in MA. My bus is fully coverted to an RV, but when I asked around about coverage for a conversion I couldn't find any. I told Progressive it was a bus and they said they only cared about the official VIN designation, which is Ford E350 Econoline. So I got insurance through them, but they sent me a notice they are discontinuing me because they don't like my proof of residency - even though it's good enough for me to get a Real ID. They want a utility bill in my name and will accept nothing else, which I can't provide because, since I'm in my Mom's home caring for her, the utilities are not in my name.

Anyway, I figured now would be a good time to look for other coverage, and I ended up with a policy from Liberty Mutual that is cheaper than Progressive.

When applying for the quote online, I entered the VIN of my bus. As I said, the VIN lists the vehicle as a 1991 Ford E350 Econoline, with no mention anywhere of it being a bus. When I registered it, while insured by Progressive, the "body type" was listed as Van. On the Liberty Mutual website, where they summarize coverage, it's referred to as a TRUCK, but on the actual insurance binder the body type is blank.

So I have two questions:
1) Will Liberty Mutual do some kind of deeper research to determine that body type, and find out it's a bus?
2) If I ever file a claim, that would almost certainly lead to the discovery that the vehicle is a bus. Would Liberty Mutual deny my claim, even though I haven't done anything deceptive (they only asked for the VIN, after all)? Would they more likely pay it and then cancel me?

I do not have coverage for damage to my own vehicle, only liability and the minimum personal injury for myself that's required by law in MA.

Thanks a million if you get a chance to answer this, Brian!
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post

I don't know if you can answer this or not, but I figured I'd ask. I know MA is not your jurisdiction, but maybe you could just take your best guess based on your experience.

I and my Ford E350 short bus are in MA. My bus is fully coverted to an RV, but when I asked around about coverage for a conversion I couldn't find any. I told Progressive it was a bus and they said they only cared about the official VIN designation, which is Ford E350 Econoline. So I got insurance through them, but they sent me a notice they are discontinuing me because they don't like my proof of residency - even though it's good enough for me to get a Real ID. They want a utility bill in my name and will accept nothing else, which I can't provide because, since I'm in my Mom's home caring for her, the utilities are not in my name.

Anyway, I figured now would be a good time to look for other coverage, and I ended up with a policy from Liberty Mutual that is cheaper than Progressive.

When applying for the quote online, I entered the VIN of my bus. As I said, the VIN lists the vehicle as a 1991 Ford E350 Econoline, with no mention anywhere of it being a bus. When I registered it, while insured by Progressive, the "body type" was listed as Van. On the Liberty Mutual website, where they summarize coverage, it's referred to as a TRUCK, but on the actual insurance binder the body type is blank.

So I have two questions:
1) Will Liberty Mutual do some kind of deeper research to determine that body type, and find out it's a bus?
2) If I ever file a claim, that would almost certainly lead to the discovery that the vehicle is a bus. Would Liberty Mutual deny my claim, even though I haven't done anything deceptive (they only asked for the VIN, after all)? Would they more likely pay it and then cancel me?

I do not have coverage for damage to my own vehicle, only liability and the minimum personal injury for myself that's required by law in MA.

Hello fellow MA skoolie owner! I too am through liberty mutual, though it's through Safeco. My Vin shows antique auto so not sure what they're going to do. Interested in hearing the follow up.
ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
My Vin shows antique auto so not sure what they're going to do. Interested in hearing the follow up.
Hi Ashley! When are we having our MA skoolie meetup??

I thought about trying to register as antique - I'm only 1991 but technically it's antique. Definitely cheaper registration, but not sure being an antique is a good thing in the eyes of insurance, which is why I didn't go that route.

That's weird your VIN would show antique, though - I thought the VIN was assigned when the vehicle was made, and it couldn't have been antique then, right?
Old 01-14-2019, 04:05 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Hi Ashley! When are we having our MA skoolie meetup??

I thought about trying to register as antique - I'm only 1991 but technically it's antique. Definitely cheaper registration, but not sure being an antique is a good thing in the eyes of insurance, which is why I didn't go that route.

That's weird your VIN would show antique, though - I thought the VIN was assigned when the vehicle was made, and it couldn't have been antique then, right?
hey anytime. My bus need some new glow plugs first before traveling anywhere but there's plenty of space to bring yours to mine.

I don't know why their system shows it as an antique auto but maybe it's because the title was changed to motorhome and their system is stupid? Anyway haven't heard back from them yet and I'm taking that as a good sign for now.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:06 PM   #31
Bus Nut

What year is it?
Old 01-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
What year is it?
It's a 1986
Old 02-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #33
Skoolie

Quote:

So I have two questions:

Ok buddy! so sorry I have not checked on here like I should. To my understanding from Liberty Mutual colleagues around the country... TN and GA are the only two states that will cover this as a RV when it started life as a bus. If you have an accident on a policy that is misplaced on the wrong vehicle there are a number of ways it can go south. Every company will handle it differently. Liberty mutual would pay out to the value of the wrong vehicle they thought they were insuring and only for the damaged things that were stock.... then then would promptly drop you. This is the likely solution for the higher companies. Progressive which is in the middle and the cut rate companies would likely not pay out at all and refund you all paid premium on the policy that should have never been written then drop you fast. Again every company is diff. You want a "stated value" policy that is well aware you are insuring a diy RV. This covers you for everything.. There are still problems here!! You will on a policy like that have coverage up to whatever amount you say its worth.. but there is no book on values for what diy tiny homes are worth and no stock parts its not a factory job. You will likely get under paid out from what you think its worth and forget about the money you have in labor (time is money). Also factor... if the loss is do to you miss-wiring or miss-plumbing your rv..... These types of claims from your mistakes building could be very problematic at claim time should they occur.

All this said a stated value policy with your ins company well aware its a diy rv would be your best bet!

Finally... in your area I would check with National General ... not to be confused with Direct General. Hope this helps.

P.s- I did not proofread this as I am multitasking at work. Please forgive spelling punctuation and poor articulation
Old 02-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #34
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
Hello fellow MA skoolie owner! I too am through liberty mutual, though it's through Safeco. My Vin shows antique auto so not sure what they're going to do. Interested in hearing the follow up.
Correct Liberty Mutual owns Safeco. We write RV policies with both. My questions would be about how its written. if you text me a copy I am happy to review it for you 423-503-7774. If there is any question about this policy being for a diy skoolie at stated value... I would recommend to you as well checking with National General. Please check the response I just posted for further clarification. Best of luck to you all up there in MA!!
Old 02-15-2019, 04:11 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInTN View Post
Correct Liberty Mutual owns Safeco. We write RV policies with both. My questions would be about how its written. if you text me a copy I am happy to review it for you 423-503-7774. If there is any question about this policy being for a diy skoolie at stated value... I would recommend to you as well checking with National General. Please check the response I just posted for further clarification. Best of luck to you all up there in MA!!
thanks I ended up getting dropped by Safeco because they had an issue looking up the make and model. I now have liability only through commerce and the agent knows exactly what I have.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Thanks so much for taking a look at this!

Quote:
Liberty mutual would pay out to the value of the wrong vehicle they thought they were insuring and only for the damaged things that were stock.... then then would promptly drop you.
I don't have coverage for damage to my own vehicle, only liability. If they weren't paying out for me, would they still drop me? Would they even SEE my vehicle?

Quote:
All this said a stated value policy with your ins company well aware its a diy rv would be your best bet!
Herein lies the problem - NO ONE I have talked to will insure it as what it is, not even liability only. I could go to the State Pool and they could force some company to write me a policy, but they don't dictate what price that company would charge me. I could end up paying 5 times as much.

Quote:
Finally... in your area I would check with National General ... not to be confused with Direct General.
Unfortunately, National General doesn't operate in MA.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #37
Skoolie

Quote:
Thanks so much for taking a look at this!

I don't have coverage for damage to my own vehicle, only liability. If they weren't paying out for me, would they still drop me? Would they even SEE my vehicle?

Herein lies the problem - NO ONE I have talked to will insure it as what it is, not even liability only. I could go to the State Pool and they could force some company to write me a policy, but they don't dictate what price that company would charge me. I could end up paying 5 times as much.

Unfortunately, National General doesn't operate in MA.

1) Likely still yes... sorry to say
2) Sorry about National General referral I didn't know they were not in all 50 state.
3) Do you know anyone in an easier state like TN/GA that would let you use their address to register your vehicle in that state? Taxes and insurance in TN for example are crazy low. There are a few other friendly sates too like TX.. I've got a referral partner in VA .. Not to bad their... Just a thought.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:23 PM   #38
Skoolie

I can now get skoolies in TN, GA, AL, and MS insured

Quick update. I can now get skoolies in TN, GA, AL, and MS insured. Same above rules apply. Thanks so much.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:10 PM   #39

Year: 1998
Insurance helllpppp

Hello me and my boyfriend are now on our 3rd skoolie ! We’ve never gotten insurance properly before but we really wanna do it right this time ... honestly we’d be homeless if we didn’t have our bus . We work and live out of it . I have a FL license / and can use a relatives address as our “main address” we’re currently in Texas & heading to Kentucky we have 60 day temporary registration but again can’t find insurance ... we’re gonna be driving through Tennessee but would i need a Tennessee address to go through you ? Any advice would help ! Thank you!
Homespunrelics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:06 AM   #40
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homespunrelics View Post
Hello me and my boyfriend are now on our 3rd skoolie ! We’ve never gotten insurance properly before but we really wanna do it right this time ... honestly we’d be homeless if we didn’t have our bus . We work and live out of it . I have a FL license / and can use a relatives address as our “main address” we’re currently in Texas & heading to Kentucky we have 60 day temporary registration but again can’t find insurance ... we’re gonna be driving through Tennessee but would i need a Tennessee address to go through you ? Any advice would help ! Thank you!
You could find a friend on family member that lives in a skoolie friendly state like TN or GA or AL or MS even VA (a few examples) and use their address to register your bus in that state. Once done you'd be able to obtain insurance for your bus in that state. If the bus is done done done, you may try this trick with National General in FL using your family's address. Last I hear, Nat Gen doesn't care if you are living in it it would just have to be registered in a state they write in in order for them to help. Good luck to you!

Tags
insurance coverage