Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Smile I can get your skoolie insured in TN/GA

I am an insurance agent and write for Liberty Mutual and just wrote my own policy. To my surprise we don't need photos, we don't need the conversion to be completed.. and our rates were really good! Our only real big rule... the skoolie can't be permanent housing. You need a legit permanent house you actually use a primary. If you filed a claim and it was shown the skoolie was your full time living structure chances are strong you would get your claim denied. My policy 100/300/100 1000 deductible, with uninsured motorist coverage. $889 for 12 months. If this helps.. I can write in TN and GA.. hit me up. If you are in a diff state, try Liberty Mutual in your state. We also write National General, Progressive, Safeco, and Assurant which also do RV/skoolie coverage but with more restrictions (but gives more options).

Old 04-26-2018, 10:04 PM   #2
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInTN View Post
I am an insurance agent and write for Liberty Mutual and just wrote my own policy. To my surprise we don't need photos, we don't need the conversion to be completed.. and our rates were really good! Our only real big rule... the skoolie can't be permanent housing. You need a legit permanent house you actually use a primary. If you filed a claim and it was shown the skoolie was your full time living structure chances are strong you would get your claim denied. My policy 100/300/100 1000 deductible, with uninsured motorist coverage. $889 for 12 months. If this helps.. I can write in TN and GA.. hit me up. If you are in a diff state, try Liberty Mutual in your state. We also write National General, Progressive, Safeco, and Assurant which also do RV/skoolie coverage but with more restrictions (but gives more options).

Brian.hamons@libertymutual.com <--- if its easier, or I don't respond here (means I didn't see your reply).
Old 04-27-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Good resource! Thanks for speaking up. I don't set policy on this forum, but IMHO insurance is enough of a pain that it should be a service that people can "advertise" here.

Now all we need is about 30 more agents to speak up, and we'll have the place covered pretty well!
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #4
Skoolie

Thumbs up wrote a skoolie.net member in GA bus ins today

I was excited to be able to write one of our members bus conversion coverage in GA today. Everybody I meet from this community is has been wonderful.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Any plans to get licensed in New Jersey?
weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by weboughtabus View Post
Any plans to get licensed in New Jersey?
I wish! A little to far away for me.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:48 AM   #7

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HC
Engine: Big ole Diesal Detroit built
Rated Cap: ?
Insurance for my Skoolie

I’m looking to insure my 1987 International Bus, Vin # 1HVLPHYP3HH467008, just use the bus 3 times a year so just looking for basic coverage. I live at 5611 Esther Place Lizella Ga 31052, married but I’m the only driver. Let me know what you need to quote. 678-469-7270, randybartlett1@gmail.com

QUOTE=HappyInTN;266177]I am an insurance agent and write for Liberty Mutual and just wrote my own policy. To my surprise we don't need photos, we don't need the conversion to be completed.. and our rates were really good! Our only real big rule... the skoolie can't be permanent housing. You need a legit permanent house you actually use a primary. If you filed a claim and it was shown the skoolie was your full time living structure chances are strong you would get your claim denied. My policy 100/300/100 1000 deductible, with uninsured motorist coverage. $889 for 12 months. If this helps.. I can write in TN and GA.. hit me up. If you are in a diff state, try Liberty Mutual in your state. We also write National General, Progressive, Safeco, and Assurant which also do RV/skoolie coverage but with more restrictions (but gives more options). [/QUOTE]
RandyBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #8

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HC
Engine: Big ole Diesal Detroit built
Rated Cap: ?
I’m looking to insure my 1987 International Bus, Vin # 1HVLPHYP3HH467008, just use the bus 3 times a year so just looking for basic coverage. I live at 5611 Esther Place Lizella Ga 31052, married but I’m the only driver. Let me know what you need to quote. 678-469-7270, randybartlett1@gmail.com
RandyBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Need Insurance PreConversion in KY

We are giving the bus a second go. Sold the first one, but thought maybe the second time would be a charm. Had insurance from a local independent agent that set us up with Progressive. Then, two weeks later, dropped our policy. Got a sweet deal on the bus, but dang, insurance is not easy. Any ideas? I would like to drive the bus some and then take it to places as it may need other things I can't do in the driveway.

1993 Ward International
DT360, MT643
160,017 Original Miles
The Radical Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:30 PM   #10
Skoolie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radical Lemming View Post
We are giving the bus a second go. Sold the first one, but thought maybe the second time would be a charm. Had insurance from a local independent agent that set us up with Progressive. Then, two weeks later, dropped our policy. Got a sweet deal on the bus, but dang, insurance is not easy. Any ideas? I would like to drive the bus some and then take it to places as it may need other things I can't do in the driveway.

1993 Ward International
DT360, MT643
160,017 Original Miles
I have written so many skokie policies off this post! I love that I have been able to help so many "skoolie's". Liberty Mutual is so easy.. No photos needed, I don't care where you are in the conversion process or what the bus looks like. My company only has two real rules for skoolies.... 1) you must have your lead line with Liberty... meaning I need to write your auto (our rates are great though would likely save you money there anyway) 2) It Cannot be your primary residence. If you can provide for me a traditional house primary address that you rent or own than we don't care how many months you are gone away in your skoolie. Thats it!

I sent you private msg Radical Lemming... happy to find you a KY Liberty Mutual agent to help you with this Monday if you are interested. I am only licensed in TN/GA.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 L6
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInTN View Post
I have written so many skokie policies off this post! I love that I have been able to help so many "skoolie's". Liberty Mutual is so easy.. No photos needed, I don't care where you are in the conversion process or what the bus looks like. My company only has two real rules for skoolies.... 1) you must have your lead line with Liberty... meaning I need to write your auto (our rates are great though would likely save you money there anyway) 2) It Cannot be your primary residence. If you can provide for me a traditional house primary address that you rent or own than we don't care how many months you are gone away in your skoolie. Thats it!
I just sent you a PM @HappyInTN - Let me know how best to contact you. Actively shopping insurance that I need to get in place ASAP.

Thanks !

/Matt
atl_oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:37 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 L6
Rated Cap: 78
Just wanted to update that we successfully worked with HappyInTN and have insurance for our bus. Cool guy to converse with as well, I know we'll look forward to watching each other's builds and definitely can endorse the experience of having him source the insurance for us - super easy. Thanks Bro !

/Matt
atl_oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:08 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
hook a brother up in Oregon. been having a shitttt time trying to get insured. take my money!

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_oldskool View Post
Just wanted to update that we successfully worked with HappyInTN and have insurance for our bus. Cool guy to converse with as well, I know we'll look forward to watching each other's builds and definitely can endorse the experience of having him source the insurance for us - super easy. Thanks Bro !

/Matt

Thanks so much! I enjoyed talking with you about your project and the progress. Good luck the skoolie and congrats. Can't wait for updates.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
hook a brother up in Oregon. been having a shitttt time trying to get insured. take my money!
Lol.. I wish I was licensed in all 50 states so I could help everyone out!
Old 05-31-2018, 07:36 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you for this. I’m on Athens Ga with a 40 footer getting converted. I will be contacting you within the next few months for a policy.
Flowstatebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:06 PM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowstatebus View Post
Thank you for this. I’m on Athens Ga with a 40 footer getting converted. I will be contacting you within the next few months for a policy.
Awesome! Sounds good. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #18

Need to get it insured

I'm currently in the progress of converting it. I have pretty much everything I need right now to put in it and it be finished. The only reason I havent yet is because I have all the parts, but still have to spend a lot on supplies and it's very open right now with flooring and walls done, and we have to drive it to south Carolina for 5 days on July 6th. So we have to get it insured before then but no one will. Only one would do it but once I sent pictures, they said it don't meet requirements and has to be converted fully before I can be insured. Please help me, I have to take the bus on this trip and need insurance
Ramblingmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
How difficult is it to get licensed for additional states? It seems like there are enough skoolie members having insurance problems that it would be worth some effort.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Or perhaps wake a few of your buddies in other states up to the possibility of a small but very loyal market opportunity.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance coverage