Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Frieghtliner
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 77
I need insurance help

Hey I am running into some trouble with getting insurance. I had GMAC or now National General and they messed up my plan by having it categorized as a "class B". And now that they realized that it is a school bus conversion and now wont cover it because of the porch on the back. Are there other companies that will cover school bus conversion?

http://<a href="http://s557.photobuc...&#91;/img]</a>
http://<a href="http://s557.photobuc...&#91;/img]</a>

Gearhead94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Re: I need insurance help

Call Good Sam. I got my insurance through Progressive, via their Good Sam's insurance agent. When I called Progressive direct, they said no, a couple of other insurance companies said "Professional conversions only," but Good Sam said "Yeah, no problem, we do skoolies." 350 bucks later, I've got liability on it.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Good Sam also, Liability only
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1995
Chassis: IH
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 64

Had the same problem today with Farmer's Insurance. Been with them for over 30 years, no tickets, accidents, etc. Multi car discounts, etc etc. Agent said no way. They will happily insure a stick and staple motorhome, but not a real truck based safety engineered school bus conversion. Then he said- why don't you call Good Sam? I have a good notion to convert all our vehicles to Good Sam and tell Farmer's Insurance to go pound sand
dburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

I'm doing the same… my auto is with usaa
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos
I'm doing the same… my auto is with usaa
I have USAA for everything else, investment , auto insurance home loan home insurance but they don't do Skoolie's or RV's, Good Sam Insured me $230.00 yr
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65

Did you ever figure anything out here?
Old 06-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #8

Year: 1986
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: diesel

Thanks for the Advice! That Bus is awesome btw! Definitely want to put a porch on mine!!!
BRCbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #9

Year: 1997
Chassis: FS-65

Just got my new bus (1997 Thomas) fully insured through American Family. Wanted to get insurance so I could drive it home, but had been turned down flat by Progressive, Geico, Safeco, and a bunch of others because they wouldn't touch school bus conversions. GMAC (even though they insured it for the previous owner) wanted pictures of the sleeping quarters, plumbing, cooking area and bathroom (none of which my bus has) before they would consider it, and then for liability only, after a 14-day underwriting process.

Amfam transferred me to their local Portland office, took my info, ran me through underwriting, and I had full insurance in about four hours for $320/year. Considering switching my other cars over to them they were so cool.
charleslucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:41 AM   #10

Charleslucas, Just curious if you live in Portland, and what issues you ran into getting your bus Titled and Registered. I have been on the phone with the DMV and have been told different things by different people. I was just curious what someone's personal experience was.
LocDog249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:06 PM   #11

Year: 1997
Chassis: FS-65

I didn't have any problems, but the previous owner had registered it as an RV with the state of Oregon a few years before so I didn't have to do that myself.

The tabs were going to expire at the end of the month, and he had told me I would have to take it through emissions in order to get new tabs. When I went to the DMV however, they found he had mistakenly registered it as a gasoline-powered vehicle. Diesel vehicles don't have to go through emissions, so I was able to transfer the title and registration and get tabs right there no problem.

Here's the relevant ODOT page on registering RVs: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/ve ... e.aspx#def

If you're having issues getting it registered as an RV I could ask the previous owner how he did it.
charleslucas is offline   Reply With Quote