Old 06-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #11

I am undergoing all of these challenges as well.

Once they see photos they deny my bus conversion.

What if I don't mention the conversion and just say I have a retired school bus that needs non-commercial basic liability insurance? It seems like you have to give certain information and not give certain information to interact with this system.

I like the idea by Bansil:

"1) you can pay a 1 yr "fine/fee" of $500 for a non-insured motorist, you will still be liable, but you can get it home"

I am looking to take some trips a few times a year, but for the most part this is my home parked on land.

HELP me keep this simple community. This feels maddening!

Thanks,

Matthew
HolySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #12
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5,9 12V
Rated Cap: 24 seats, 3 wheelchairs
I'm in the throws of this.

I started with Progressive and filled out the policy info online. Got coverage, then received a cancellation notice a couple of weeks later.

Moved on to State Farm and after 6 weeks of having my info and pics they are telling me that they won't review till mid-July. No idea what the heck that's about.

Then talked to a GoodSam agent, sent pics. They denied saying I didn't have a kitchen and bath, so I sent more pictures and just received a denial today. The only reason given was, "it doesn't meet the requirements."

Now I am trying to Farmer's Insurance. Just sent pics.

I believe my problem is that I live in MD and they are telling the insurance companies it has to be a "professional conversation by an RV conversion company." So I mat be SOL unless I get some professional conversion company to vouch for me, and there are none around where I live to even do that.
natedlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedlee View Post
I'm in the throws of this.

I started with Progressive and filled out the policy info online. Got coverage, then received a cancellation notice a couple of weeks later.

Moved on to State Farm and after 6 weeks of having my info and pics they are telling me that they won't review till mid-July. No idea what the heck that's about.

Then talked to a GoodSam agent, sent pics. They denied saying I didn't have a kitchen and bath, so I sent more pictures and just received a denial today. The only reason given was, "it doesn't meet the requirements."

Now I am trying to Farmer's Insurance. Just sent pics.

I believe my problem is that I live in MD and they are telling the insurance companies it has to be a "professional conversation by an RV conversion company." So I mat be SOL unless I get some professional conversion company to vouch for me, and there are none around where I live to even do that.
Curious....

I have two buses insured with State Farm. In my case they are insured as commercial vehicles for personal use. When I am done with the conversion they will switch the insurance to RV. I did have to send pics showing that the seats were removed.

I went through the same process with my last bus and State Farm had no problem insuring it as an RV.

I hope your luck improves!!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #14
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Curious....

I have two buses insured with State Farm. In my case they are insured as commercial vehicles for personal use. When I am done with the conversion they will switch the insurance to RV. I did have to send pics showing that the seats were removed.

I went through the same process with my last bus and State Farm had no problem insuring it as an RV.

I hope your luck improves!!

Do you have a commercial license?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas Vista
Chassis: International 3600
Engine: Navistar T444E 7.3 Turbo Diesel
I also have a commercial policy. No commercial license or anything else, bus is registered as a bug for personal use.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #16
Skoolie

Do not mention that its been modified in any way. I went thru my car insurance. They had never insured a bus before.
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

No CDL. It is not required unless I use the bus for commercial purposes. They are registered as RV's and insured as commercial vehicles FOR PERSONAL USE.

As for telling them about mods: They asked for pictures. I sent pictures. No further discussion on the subject.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #18
Almost There

Quote:
No CDL. It is not required unless I use the bus for commercial purposes. They are registered as RV's and insured as commercial vehicles FOR PERSONAL USE.

As for telling them about mods: They asked for pictures. I sent pictures. No further discussion on the subject.
Sounds like EXACTLY what I need. I am registered Motor Home in VT. I have a call out with Progressive this evening and they are supposed to call me tomorrow. A casual comment with my own insurance (USAA) is that the moment I put a bed in it I have to switch to a Personal RV policy. It's a freaking catch 22.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:46 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedlee View Post
Sounds like EXACTLY what I need. I am registered Motor Home in VT. I have a call out with Progressive this evening and they are supposed to call me tomorrow. A casual comment with my own insurance (USAA) is that the moment I put a bed in it I have to switch to a Personal RV policy. It's a freaking catch 22.
IF USAA will insure as an RV it will likely be cheaper. My State Farm is a bit over $300 a year. If I recall, my insurance on my old bus was around half of that as an RV.

Good Luck.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #20
Almost There

Quote:
IF USAA will insure as an RV it will likely be cheaper. My State Farm is a bit over $300 a year. If I recall, my insurance on my old bus was around half of that as an RV.

Good Luck.

Well USAA farms those policies out to Progressive, bringing me full circle. :/ GoodSam would have been around $360 I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk