Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyn76 View Post
it's illegal for me to drive a large bus without a CDL unless it is titled/tagged as an R.V.?
Specifically to Illinois, it depends.

If it is less than 26000lbs (GVWR on the placard) and designed to carry less than 16 passengers, you do not need a CDL.

If it is over 26000lbs (again, on the placard) you need a class B CDL.

If it is designed to carry more than 16 passengers, you need a CDL for the proper weight class.

After it is registered as an RV, you do not need a CDL to drive it, however you still need a non-CDL in the proper weight classification. For example, if you have a a 40' bus that has a GVWR of say 33,000lbs, you will need a class B non-CDL.

The non-CDL and CDL tests are exactly the same in Illinois, only the non-CDL license only cost $10 and the CDL costs $80.

I'm in Central IL and have a CDL if you are looking for someone to transport before conversion.

wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Whether you need a CDL or not depends on your local (State) laws. Some do, many don't. Likewise the re-registration process. It is a cakewalk here in Texas, but a total nightmare in other locations.

Long answer short...check with your friendly local DMV for guidance on both issues.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:54 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Long answer short...check with your friendly local DMV for guidance on both issues.
Or not so friendly state office when the friendly DMV can't get an answer either...

True story that

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #24
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Navistar
Chassis: International
Engine: Allison
Rated Cap: 60
I have all the answers you need. i will post them in.....45 minutes

see you then
cullengw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #25

Thanks for the replies guys. My dad still has a CDL so it sounds like he can get one home for me if I get one. I like the idea of a bus because I want to modify it to haul my motorcycle with when we go. I would rather ride the bike but my wife isn't comfortable driving anything bigger than a pickup. Haha
chevyn76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #26
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyn76 View Post
I assume by what I've read so far that it's illegal for me to drive a large bus without a CDL unless it is titled/tagged as an R.V.? So I therefore assume that my first obstacle will be getting one home after I buy it. My second hurdle I assume will be getting the inspection done once I "convert" it. Do I have to somehow get the bus to Springfield for the inspection or will they come to me? Or possibly, if I pick a small town DMV, will they just take my word for it?
So chevy a few things.

1. You do need a CDL to drive it as a commercial bus.(when its yellow and marked) however you will also need a non-commercial class B license to drive it even when its an RV.(because of the weight)

2. Look into insurance as well. If you are planning to buy from a dealer of some sort, you will find yourself at a notary for transit plates(you need insurance!) and your dad would have to be on the insurance since he is the only legal person that can drive that.

3. I am currently approaching the inspection myself. I'll remove some worry from you right off the bat. THEY COME TO YOU . This is the number you need to call. They will explain everything to you. 217-782-7126 (specially constructed vehicles number)

4. You need a signature from the inspector to complete the conversion process although you can always just try getting it titled as an rv right off the bat. I tried that to no avail. They list it as whatever the VIN is.

Good luck and I will let everyone know how the whole inspection process goes!!!
Old 08-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #27

Thanks cullengw! Great info. I planned on checking with my insurance before buying anything. (made that mistake before) It's looking a whole lot less complicated to just buy an enclosed trailer and convert it.......But driving a bus would be sooo much more fun. haha
chevyn76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #28

I emailed the sec state and got this back from an ISP officer. Similar to what I've seen elsewhere on the board. What is the interim step while working on it before it is an RV? Are people titling/registering before it is an RV?

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...sos_dop247.pdf

Jon
armlann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #29
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by armlann View Post
I emailed the sec state and got this back from an ISP officer. Similar to what I've seen elsewhere on the board. What is the interim step while working on it before it is an RV? Are people titling/registering before it is an RV?

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...sos_dop247.pdf

Jon
You have 30 days in Illinois to transfer the title so you will have to pay the title fee twice, once when you buy the bus, and again when you have it retitled as an RV.

I do not have mine registered so I can't drive it, because until you get it retitled as an RV, the annual registration fees (for a 40' skoolie) is HUGE at $1,123 (the L plate). After the retitle, registration is only $102.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
$1123 PER YEAR? Are they holding you at gunpoint?
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:47 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Dang, and I was bummed when I recently had to renew my bus' registration @ $65!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #32
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
$1123 PER YEAR? Are they holding you at gunpoint?
That would depend on whether they had enough money for the fees to be able to carry the gun in the first place...
The 'priviledge' to carry in this state is rather expensive as well...
Old 01-25-2016, 05:04 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

I'm surprised that people still live in Illinois as expensive as it is. We won't even discuss the Windy City.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Ouch. My "interim" has been to just register and insure as a bus. The registration fee slides based on weight, but I've registered mine at something like 24,000 pounds for I think around $400/year. I don't even know how much being titled RV/motorhome might save here.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:34 AM   #35
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Lifeguard
Engine: 366 Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cullengw View Post
So chevy a few things.

1. You do need a CDL to drive it as a commercial bus.(when its yellow and marked) however you will also need a non-commercial class B license to drive it even when its an RV.(because of the weight)

2. Look into insurance as well. If you are planning to buy from a dealer of some sort, you will find yourself at a notary for transit plates(you need insurance!) and your dad would have to be on the insurance since he is the only legal person that can drive that.

3. I am currently approaching the inspection myself. I'll remove some worry from you right off the bat. THEY COME TO YOU . This is the number you need to call. They will explain everything to you. 217-782-7126 (specially constructed vehicles number)

4. You need a signature from the inspector to complete the conversion process although you can always just try getting it titled as an rv right off the bat. I tried that to no avail. They list it as whatever the VIN is.

Good luck and I will let everyone know how the whole inspection process goes!!!

I'm so glad mine was registered in Illinois as an RV before I purchased it. The guy I bought it from must have had a relative at the DMV cause there's no way it would have passed any type of inspection in the condition I found it.

One thing no one has mentioned so far is... ALL Illinois RV plates expire New Years Eve. Now that the state is no longer sending out renewal notices, we need to mark our own calendars to remember. I plan to be far, far away somewhere WARM in mine next year so I need to remember to buy the sticker before I leave.
gizmoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
OK... Question, I am almost done converting, when I go to title it as an rv the lady at dmv said I need the gross weight... Is this what it actually weighs or the weight that is in black on side of the bus?
karma8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #37
Almost There

The black number will do. They just want to know if it's over over a certain threshold. I think in Illinois itstate like anything goes over 10,000 is the same as 99,000 lol so just say 2ok and you should be set
Old 05-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Quote:
Originally Posted by cullengw View Post
The black number will do. They just want to know if it's over over a certain threshold. I think in Illinois itstate like anything goes over 10,000 is the same as 99,000 lol so just say 2ok and you should be set
Thank you so much!
karma8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

Take it to your local truck scales and have it weighed. Take the completed form with you to DMV.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:20 PM   #40
Skoolie

In illinois, a scale ticket won't get you anywhere. They want the gvwr from the manufacturers placard.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Tags
dmv, illinois, plates, registration