Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2017, 08:13 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Hey, check that out, Illinois has RV tags but they don't have Recreational Vehicle stamped across the bottom the have a vertical RV stamped on the far right of the tag.

Recreational Vehicle License Plates

Looks like Minnesota too.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pag...spx?pageID=611

Nothing like standards.

Maryland and NC however both have no separate designation.

Zizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:16 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Marcano View Post
back in the day, before the "motorhome" came about these were House-cars,.
Looks like the sort my grandfather used to make in the 30's and 40's. He had access to gasoline during the war (WWII) and so they travelled a surprising amount for a nation in war shortages.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:26 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodges View Post
Congrats! We're just south of Burlington/Graham and will need to get titled soon. Is that last thing maybe a toilet/bathroom? Also, what kind of heat are you using? We want to go with a wood stove, but not sure how "the man" feels about that.
Propane Buddy heater. No kidding I had the heater sitting on top of the stove which was connected to a propane tank sitting on the floor and he approved them. A single bed on a bed frame with a box spring sitting on the floor of the bus. A 45qt Engel freezer plugged in to AC with a cord run through a window to an external outlet on the side of my house.

The blue tape was still around the School Bus signs front and back where I had spray painted them black. The covers for the rear safety lights have not been put on and the stop sign arm still works but the sign is removed.

There was a fair amount of eye rolling but he signed the paper and off he went.

I have emptied the bus again and will use it to haul a bunch of trash to the dump tomorrow.

Call the DMV and ask for the Inspector for your county. Mine has office hours on Tuesday and Thursday from 8AM to 10AM. He was very helpful and came to my house the next day to do the inspection.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:28 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Dude, sorry you felt ganged up on. Do you realize rules are different in different states? Terminology is even different from state to state. You can't apply your understanding of vehicle rules and terminology to the entire country.

No beef and apples. I have car plates on my bus, because it has been determined by the Oregon "DMV" to be a van. Oregonians are not allowed to insure a self built motorhome, but we can register a bus as a van. I'm guessing you know little about registration and insurance in Oregon, but that doesn't make you ignorant. We all learn by asking questions. You can't assume anyone is ignorant and needs schooling because they don't know your state's rules and licensing procedures.

That's all there is to it. Please don't feel bad. I hope you'll contribute to this forum with the rest of us.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #25
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizzer View Post
Propane Buddy heater. No kidding I had the heater sitting on top of the stove which was connected to a propane tank sitting on the floor and he approved them. A single bed on a bed frame with a box spring sitting on the floor of the bus. A 45qt Engel freezer plugged in to AC with a cord run through a window to an external outlet on the side of my house.

The blue tape was still around the School Bus signs front and back where I had spray painted them black. The covers for the rear safety lights have not been put on and the stop sign arm still works but the sign is removed.

There was a fair amount of eye rolling but he signed the paper and off he went.

I have emptied the bus again and will use it to haul a bunch of trash to the dump tomorrow.

Call the DMV and ask for the Inspector for your county. Mine has office hours on Tuesday and Thursday from 8AM to 10AM. He was very helpful and came to my house the next day to do the inspection.
Good info, and encouraging. I have access to a propane heater that I can use for the inspection. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
ghodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:27 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizzer View Post
See, here's the thing, this sub-forum is about Titles and Registrations. By asking a question about whether I'm getting car or RV tags is like asking if I'm getting pork or beef apples. Doesn't make much sense, does it?

Since this sub-forum is all about Titles and Registrations I figured I would take a moment and try to inform some folks about how these terms get misused. These are the sorts of things that should be taught in school but either aren't or get ignored, like civics, and the scientific method.

See, I lived with a Maryland MVA trainer and inspector for about 7 years. I know more about the damn MVA than most MVA employees. She in turn, much to her chagrin knows more about TCP/IP and the OSI model than she ever wanted to know. That's kind of how these things work out.

I find it fascinating that someone would go out of their way to chastise for trying to be helpful. Then I get ganged up on. Only to find that the statements of those folks to be as uninformed as the rest.

Bad news, in MD "the number scheme" you speak of doesn't exist. there are a few examples of coincidental patterns that were never intended. For instance there was a slew of plates that had a TR or some such and everyone thought that it meant truck. People would come in to get tags and want the TR tags for their truck. That's not how any of this works. That TR was just a random letter pattern and people ASSUMED it meant truck. It didn't mean anything at all. It was just a unique identifier and nothing more.

In Maryland and apparently in North Carolina there is no such thing as a Motor Home license plate. Please see the diagram at the bottom of this page.
Registration - Specialty Plates

Also, just because it drives me nuts. Some States have an MVA and some have a DMV. There are separate professional organizations for each. As if these folks do anything differently from each other state to state but they can't have a Union or organization that represents both. So weird.
My apologies to the community at large for having risen to the troll's bait.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
My apologies to the community at large for having risen to the troll's bait.
No worries these are entertaining sometimes.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:20 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Engine: CAT C7202
So it would be correct to assume that if I am a NC resident and although the school bus weights at under 14,000 pounds but if it has a air brake then I would still need CDL Class B because of the air brake itself?

My Cousin Eddie is NC SHP and he said if I can get bus re-titled into RV/Motorhome then I would not need CDL at all even with Air Brake. SHP for 25 years and teacher at SHP school in Raleigh.

My other cousin Steven is recently forced into retired few months ago SHP and he believes I do still need a CDL license.

My father worked (now retired 5 years) at School Bus Garage in NC and he said I still need CDL Class B because of air brake. But that it is not difficult to get CDL just for air brake compare to Class A.

I'm deaf so I'm really hoping to avoid the hassle! As deaf person, I would have to forward my physical examination to US DOT in Washington DC to get hearing waived to qualify for CDL.

Still trying to clarify this before investing into buying a school bus!
Wkheathjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:59 PM   #29

Hello sir, I'm also in NC. I have a bus that's mostly converted. My title from TN says MH. Motor Home? Where do I go from here to get insured and registered in NC? Thank you for your time.
Peaceful Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:01 PM   #30

Do not need a CDL. Only if using many seats to transport many peoples. My source is a dmv school bus instructor.
Peaceful Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:26 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful Wanderer View Post
Do not need a CDL. Only if using many seats to transport many peoples. My source is a dmv school bus instructor.
The limit is usually seating for 16, any less and it's not considered commercial, no CDL required in most states. Since your hard work of converting the title has been done, it should be an easy process at your local DMV to register your motorhome after optaining an RV/MH policy meeting your requirements.
Old 03-14-2022, 02:05 AM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Engine: Freightliner
Congratulations! If I may ask. Do you have any insight on insurance? Cost, etc?
Moonshyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 02:07 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Hi JR, I'm currently in Wilmington, NC starting my conversion journey.
Old 03-14-2022, 04:39 AM   #34
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: TS FE 2509
Engine: Cummins 5.9l ISB CM550
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshyne View Post
Congratulations! If I may ask. Do you have any insight on insurance? Cost, etc?
I'm just outside Raleigh. I just got mine in NC from Farm bureau with no issues they even insured it as a motor home before I even bought it directly from a school district out of state($130 for 6 months liability). I don't know if it was because I already had 2 vehicles insured with them but it's worth a look. Let me know if you want my agents info. My inspection for "house car" status is coming this Wednesday it was very easy to schedule and the inspector told me nothing had to be secured to the vehicle so I'm hoping it should be all good then the fun of dealing with lines at the dmv haha.
Hutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:42 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Wow! Thank you so much. Yes if you'd like to share that info I will take it.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:11 PM   #36
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: TS FE 2509
Engine: Cummins 5.9l ISB CM550
Rated Cap: 34
House Car status unlocked!

thanks for this thread I'm 100% legit now, I'm glad the Vermont thing was a fail for me this is better and much cheaper. posted a video on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/g4I66G3V8RU
Hutchy is offline   Reply With Quote