Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #1

Coachwork: Busless :-(
I'm new here! Just wanted to share my insurance story/rates

Hello all,

I'm Chris and I've lurked for some time. I finally registered today....I would have a long time ago but the board wouldnt accept my gmail address. I'm all registered now (using my work address which I'd like to change - but I'll deal with that later)....

Anyway I recently sold my 1989 International dognose DT360 53 mph downhill school bus to Paramont for a movie. I also recently sold my 1982 MCI MC9, so I'm having the "don't have a bus" blues. Did I say blue? I'll go into that later lol! I was insured with GMAC for the school bus, and Progressive for the big bus. Rates were $439 a year for the school, and only $124 a year for the 9. Progressive didnt have a problem issuing a policy for the 9, but they cancelled me when I had one for the school bus. After some research I found that GMAC would do it so I was all good.

Well fast forward to today. If all goes well I'll be going to pick up a 1997 Thomas RE tomorrow. So I called GMAC to get a quote and I just paid $262 for a 6 mo policy on the 97 Thomas. I'm in Chesapeake, VA by the way, and I noticed in my lurking there was someone else with a Thomas in Chesapeake too. Just wanted to contribute something to the board, look forward to being a part of the community!

My old 89:

My MCI:

My 97 Thomas that I SHOULD get tomorrow:

BIG CTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: I'm new here! Just wanted to share my insurance story/ra

Welcome, Chris.

That's a nice bus. You're lucky you have one of the hi-top models. How far do you have to go to get it?

I live over on the eastern shore peninsula, not all that far from Chesapeake.

Good luck with everything,
jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome guys! Smitty, what EXACTLY did you say to Allstate? Jim, I had to go 4 hours to Wilmington, NC....and I LEFT the bus right where it sat. The seller wasnt as thorough about the rust issues as he should have been. Rust was on the frame rails of the seats INSIDE the bus. So I passed, and drove back. Another will surface...
Old 09-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CTY
Jim, I had to go 4 hours to Wilmington, NC....and I LEFT the bus right where it sat. The seller wasnt as thorough about the rust issues as he should have been. Rust was on the frame rails of the seats INSIDE the bus. So I passed, and drove back. Another will surface...
That's a bummer. I wish I had left my original RV purchase where it was. I didn't know enough at the time to look deep enough to find all the salt corrosion that was everywhere. But, I learned a very big (expensive) lesson with that vehicle.

The right bus will come along. They usually do.

Good luck,
jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome guys! Smitty, what EXACTLY did you say to Allstate?
If you mean in regards to what the bus was, I told them exactly what it was, and the majority of what was done to it. I even told her she was welcome to come look at it any time, and that I live in it as well as my plans to winter out west
Smitty
Ok, thanks. I have no idea what I'm gonna do from day to day, I just like buses. I know I probably will not do an all out conversion right now, and I probably wont take out all the seats either. So you went to an Allstate office or did you call them? Also, is yours registered as a bus or RV? VA wants to much to change the title so I dont think I'm gonna go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baadpuppy
Quote:
Jim, I had to go 4 hours to Wilmington, NC....and I LEFT the bus right where it sat. The seller wasnt as thorough about the rust issues as he should have been. Rust was on the frame rails of the seats INSIDE the bus. So I passed, and drove back. Another will surface...
That's a bummer. I wish I had left my original RV purchase where it was. I didn't know enough at the time to look deep enough to find all the salt corrosion that was everywhere. But, I learned a very big (expensive) lesson with that vehicle.

The right bus will come along. They usually do.

Good luck,
jim
Yeah, but it was just 10 hours of my time, $46 in gas, $5 trip permit, $11of food for me and a friend of mine, and 6mos of insurance LOL!! Another just popped up, and its only 30 mins away. We'll see....but here is a preview: