Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Indiana Insurance Woes

Hello! New member here, but my husband has been a quiet member for a couple of years now. I've searched the forum for a couple of days looking for help or answers on our quandry, and nothing really seems to fit our exact problem.

We are moving from Indiana to Montana in 2-3 weeks. The exorbitant costs of renting a Uhaul with tight time constraints was going to be painful. So we just purchased our first bus, a 1999 International, for about the same price that renting a Uhaul truck for less than a week was going to cost us. Rip out the seats, make some room, voila...house mover! It even comes with a handy wheelchair lift for the heavy lifting!

Through some shenanigans by the previous owner, it's already had the hard work done of being titled as an RV. That said, we're struggling to find insurance for it. I feel like I've called everyone and no one seems willing to insure it as an RV, even though it is currently titled by the State of Indiana as...an RV. And those same people don't seem to want to insure it as "commercial for personal use" because of the RV title. :errm:

It is already satisfying several requirements that some of the agents have talked about: new paint job, flashing lights and stop arm removed...but it does still have all of the seats and no actual "living quarters" thus far.

Our current insurance company, who sources the best rates from companies all over couldn't help.

Farm Bureau said they would require it to have a functioning kitchen/bathroom as well and even then couldn't guarantee the underwriters would go for it.

State Farm wouldn't touch it, but the agent I spoke with did thank me for the most exciting day he's had in a while.

Nationwide wouldn't really even discuss it, but did give me the number for National General.

National General requires 6 pictures (front, back, both sides, inside fore and aft views). And I guess we could continue the tomfoolery and send in pictures of a finished bus that isn't ours, but I hate the thought of being dishonest.

My husband isn't opposed to buying a folding camp kitchen with a foot pump sink/toilet and a propane camp stove. But at this point in packing up and moving, I don't want to spend money and waste space on something I don't want to move across the country...just for insurance. And watch that not even be good enough. lol

Anyone else have any novel ideas to get this lovely insured so we can bring it home, have the title transferred to our name, have it plated, and be legal to drive it across the country?

BigSkyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas or Bluebird
Chassis: IDk this kind of stuff!
Engine: gas engine
Rated Cap: IDK
We will be leaving our home state of Idaho for the summer. Our bus is near completion, but enough to provide photos yet to insure it. We've been driving it in our home state for small trips uninsured, but we are going to North Carolina for the summer and I definitely want to have it insured by then. All I want/need is liability. All I know is that I'm dreading making a gazillion phone calls to insure it! Almost everyone has difficulty getting a skoolie insured. ☹️
mrtrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:14 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtrowell View Post
We will be leaving our home state of Idaho for the summer. Our bus is near completion, but enough to provide photos yet to insure it. We've been driving it in our home state for small trips uninsured, but we are going to North Carolina for the summer and I definitely want to have it insured by then. All I want/need is liability. All I know is that I'm dreading making a gazillion phone calls to insure it! Almost everyone has difficulty getting a skoolie insured. ☹️
One phone call on both my buses had me insured with no issues.

Go to the UserCP and fill out your profile with bus info and location to better aide in answering your questions.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote