Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #21

Thank you and thanks to the community for welcoming me.... I know I came with some intense energy. I come in peace and openness to receive all the help I can get.
I don't mean any trouble....

<3

HolySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Oklahoma skoolies... Who do you guys use for your insurance? Did you get what's been talked about with general or progressive or did you use a local company?
livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:12 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolySpirit View Post
Thank you and thanks to the community for welcoming me.... I know I came with some intense energy. I come in peace and openness to receive all the help I can get.
I don't mean any trouble....

<3
progressive commercial insured me without a toilet.. but again im more like a bus.. and I didnt tell thjem I was making a camper(because im not).. I will always have enough seats that I can make the case im still a bus...

i ran into the same thing with the RV providers about wanting a stove , sink, toilet, frig before they would insure me... some were ok with a microwabe instead of stove.. a frig is easy.. I'll have one of those..

I do believe people are getting insured with composting toilets.. just because you would install it doesnt mean you have to use it or even leave it in there after you get insured...
-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: b-700
Engine: 6.6 diesel
I am so grateful I found this site! I was trying to insure the school bus we got 2 weeks ago, and went through: GMAC, AIS, AAA (my existing coverage on my passenger/classic cars), and Progressive. I spent hours calling and researching. We didn't qualify for any of those because our bus just has a bed and shelving, and is not technically an RV (no plumbing or latrine). Then I read in the insurance thread on here that I had to go to Progressive and ask for commercial insurance for personal use, and viola! Insurance in less than an hour! I have been waiting for 3 days for a return quote from AIS. Thank you!! (Note: We are using our bus to transport a tame peacock we take to schools and on roadtrips....#radthepeacock...so glad we have a school bus now, since Rad will be 9 feet long next spring!!)
CatSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:10 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSpy View Post
I am so grateful I found this site! I was trying to insure the school bus we got 2 weeks ago, and went through: GMAC, AIS, AAA (my existing coverage on my passenger/classic cars), and Progressive. I spent hours calling and researching. We didn't qualify for any of those because our bus just has a bed and shelving, and is not technically an RV (no plumbing or latrine). Then I read in the insurance thread on here that I had to go to Progressive and ask for commercial insurance for personal use, and viola! Insurance in less than an hour! I have been waiting for 3 days for a return quote from AIS. Thank you!! (Note: We are using our bus to transport a tame peacock we take to schools and on roadtrips....#radthepeacock...so glad we have a school bus now, since Rad will be 9 feet long next spring!!)
Glad someone was able to find the info.
There used to be a ton of peacocks around here. I think they've mostly been eaten now as I haven't seen one in years.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSpy View Post
CatSpy...
I am on a similar adventure...

Did you mention the words "school bus" at all or "retired school bus?"
Do you have any conversion plans; raised roof or other modifications? If so, will you let your insurance know about any changes?

Thank you,,,
Old 07-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: b-700
Engine: 6.6 diesel
Hi there, HolySpirit, yes, I did mention that it was a converted school bus, I explained that it would NOT be used mostly as an RV...I believe the way I put it was we would "rest" in it, and to think of it as a tent on wheels, since we don't have running water or a latrine. I even explained it would mostly be used to transport a 9 foot-long adult male peacock, lol. Progressive really bent over backward to help me get insurance! I am STILL waiting for a quote from AIS! The VIN number didn't even pass through Progressive's search engine, and they overwrote that part, and I can send in the previous title info to solidify that. We mostly will be using our bus to sleep in while traveling if not just transporting our "education bird" to schools where I volunteer my time, but we will always be parked overnight at locations with bathrooms/showers, so it really is more like tent camping in our situation. We must add seating...the only seat is the driver's seat, and we will add a bolted down seating area near the driver's seat that also has storage underneath. I briefly told the insurance agent about that, but in general, we will read up on laws before doing any major renovations, we may change the roof, but not right away...for now we will try and stay within the letter of the law and probably not inform the insurance company unless absolutely necessary about changes. Personally, I wouldn't use the word "retired"...I would say something vague, like "repurposed". I told the insurer that the previous owner was a professional car flipper so I guess that meant the conversion job was done professionally, but of course it was not done in a car shop, it is a custom hand-built bed/storage area. To be honest, I believe if Progressive agent can check a box on the computer screen, you can get insured, so try and figure out what they want you to say--and not say--when you talk to the agent! I was turned down twice before by Progressive until I learned the "commercial for private use" phrase in the insurance thread on here...the key words to the kingdom of the insured. Good luck!
CatSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #28

Thank you Cat,

I will try the magic words...

"Commercial vehicle for Private use."

We'll see... I'll call Progressive back... they never got back to me!

Thank you...
Old 07-02-2016, 05:20 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Thank you Cat,

I will try the magic words...

"Commercial vehicle for Private use."

We'll see... I'll call Progressive back... they never got back to me!

Thank you...
And if one agent says "No", keep trying (which has been mentioned on other threads).

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:19 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
CatSpy...
I am on a similar adventure...

Did you mention the words "school bus" at all or "retired school bus?"
Do you have any conversion plans; raised roof or other modifications? If so, will you let your insurance know about any changes?

Thank you,,,
Do not divulge anymore info than they ask for,

I was asked
Them / Me

Make? / Crown

Never heard of them / It's a converted school bus

Has the suspension been modified? / No

Ok $230.00 a yr for liability only / Ok great
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:31 PM   #31

Stu, What insurance company did you go through?
Buchanan408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:27 AM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchanan408 View Post
Stu, What insurance company did you go through?
GoodSam GoodSam
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote