Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 29
Insurance

ok We've finally found a bus that is both in our price range and seems to be in good shape. The problem is I can't find anyone willing to insure it.

What do you tell them you have that you want to insure? So far I've tried AIS and GMAC. Their canned response is "we'll cover it after the conversion" They won't even consider a commercial policy.
pcdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #2
Skoolie
 
NowhereFast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 171
Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdreams View Post
ok We've finally found a bus that is both in our price range and seems to be in good shape. The problem is I can't find anyone willing to insure it.

What do you tell them you have that you want to insure? So far I've tried AIS and GMAC. Their canned response is "we'll cover it after the conversion" They won't even consider a commercial policy.
What State are you in?
__________________
Nowhere Fast - Sarasota, Florida
NowhereFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 29
We're in Missouri
pcdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 35
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Try Progressive Commercial. Tell them you want a commercial policy for personal use. They'll do it. If they say they won't or don't know what you're talking about just hang up and call back, you'll probably get someone else who knows what they are doing. I just got a quote for liability for a bus I am buying for about $430 for the year.
Bus Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:56 PM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 252
Ditto what Bus Driver said... AIS wrote mine as commercial policy for personal use and it was underwritten by Progressive Commercial. Unless there is some reason they don't do that in your state but can't imagine why not.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 29
do I tell them I have a bus or ?
pcdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 35
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
I did. Figured it's best to be up front about everything lest you risk a denied claim in the future. Tell them it is a retired school bus that is only going to be used for private, non-commercial use.

I believe they do RV insurance as well, but where I live the requirements to title it as an RV are quite high so I won't be reaching that bar for a couple years.
Bus Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:50 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 29
Thanks folks. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
pcdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #9
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 237
Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Ok so I just got off the phone with RVINSURANCE.com There requirements to get everything started is (how they said it not me): Everything needs to look professional (nothing fancy) but cant have stove just sitting on 2x4s needs to look professional. They need the following pictures (pics are required)

~Sleeping area
~Kitchen counter tops (food prepping area)
~Plumbing
~Living area (can be a chair)
~Bathroom

I did ask because you would be able to tell and because we are still talking about it. I asked what a bout a composting toilet. His reply was..

Plumbing is recommended and will help but not required.

There go to insurance for skoolies is National General.

National General will NOT insure partial work (not done) I asked just for liability just so I could get it to a weigh station to make sure I'm not over weight (the bus) I'm also in the middle of the conversion so I cant get insurance through them.

You will not get a quote from them unless you send the required pictures then they send to underweighting and then let you know.

Been some talk on insurance lately so thought Id share what they told me.
livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #10
Skoolie
 
serpent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Black Rock City
Posts: 113
Year: 198x
Coachwork: Crown & MCI
Chassis: 40ft Tandem/40ft MC-9 Tag
Engine: Cummins 855 BCT/6V92TA, RTO-910/HT-740
Rated Cap: 47,000lb/38,000lb GVWR
Just an experience:

For two years, up until this week I had insurance through National General. Like before I went online and selected payment for renewal, but to my surprise instead of a "Thank you for renewal." and continued coverage they took my payment and I was instructed to call their Sales Department. Huh?

I called their Sales Department and was told that they will not insure my bus. I asked what had changed and I was told that their underwriters had made changes to their requirements. No big deal, but now I need to hassle them for a refund.

I then called Progressive Commercial and obtained a commercial for personal use policy. I should have done this in the first place. Better liability coverage, no questions asked, and cheaper.
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #11
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 237
Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent View Post
Just an experience:

For two years, up until this week I had insurance through National General. Like before I went online and selected payment for renewal, but to my surprise instead of a "Thank you for renewal." and continued coverage they took my payment and I was instructed to call their Sales Department. Huh?

I called their Sales Department and was told that they will not insure my bus. I asked what had changed and I was told that their underwriters had made changes to their requirements. No big deal, but now I need to hassle them for a refund.

I then called Progressive Commercial and obtained a commercial for personal use policy. I should have done this in the first place. Better liability coverage, no questions asked, and cheaper.
I just got my title back that was changed to rv. My luck this will bite me in the buttox. So is yours an rv/motorhome or is it still a school bus on paper?
I'm just confused I guess. Does the commercial for personal use work with the title being rv now and not school bus?

And if you don't mind what's the cost with them
livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_blue View Post
Ditto what Bus Driver said... AIS wrote mine as commercial policy for personal use and it was underwritten by Progressive Commercial. Unless there is some reason they don't do that in your state but can't imagine why not.
Just tried this and it didn't work. New York State.
misterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:17 PM   #13
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 252
Man! Nothing in life is ever easy...
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:19 PM   #14
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 266
Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
I called Progressive Auto, they told me that DID NOT cover buses at all. I told them i was converting it, and that they SHOULD cover it, because it is a much safer vehicle than the actual RV i currently have insured with them. The lady told me they didn't really care WHAT it IS, just what the TITLE says it is. Then, I was able to get the guys at the DMV to change my title to an RV (i am still waiting for it in the mail) even though I have not met any of the requirements of it being an RV. I was just very confident, and assuming during my interaction with them. (one of those things where if you don't like the answers you are given, go back the next day and try again. )
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:57 AM   #15
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 11,948
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDR76 View Post
I called Progressive Auto, they told me that DID NOT cover buses at all. I told them i was converting it, and that they SHOULD cover it, because it is a much safer vehicle than the actual RV i currently have insured with them. The lady told me they didn't really care WHAT it IS, just what the TITLE says it is. Then, I was able to get the guys at the DMV to change my title to an RV (i am still waiting for it in the mail) even though I have not met any of the requirements of it being an RV. I was just very confident, and assuming during my interaction with them. (one of those things where if you don't like the answers you are given, go back the next day and try again. )
progressive AUTO does not cover busses... progressive COMMERCIAL will cover busses as loing as it is still a Bus.. they are 2 different divsions and 2 different websites.. you go online and get a quote.. use the CHASSIS for your bus as the model and make for it.. and put in your VIN... a quote will pop out then you CALL them to buy the policy... they will ask you if your bus is a bus.. (in my case my Bus is staying a Bus with some mods but I still have seats and an aisle and the driver area is bus-like..)..

I cannot say what they cover and do not cover if you do a full out conversion.. but for full out conversiuons you have the RV isnurance providers once you get plumbing, beds, etc installed...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #16
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus Driver View Post
Try Progressive Commercial. Tell them you want a commercial policy for personal use. They'll do it. If they say they won't or don't know what you're talking about just hang up and call back, you'll probably get someone else who knows what they are doing. I just got a quote for liability for a bus I am buying for about $430 for the year.
Does this work for a school bus conversion? Should I even mention the conversion? I have a 12' tall short bus house. I need help figuring out how to insure this.

I received the response that it is too modified. What do I tell these people about the my vehicle? I just want basic liability insurance so I can register it and drive it occasionally.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you
HolySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:54 PM   #17
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
progressive AUTO does not cover busses... progressive COMMERCIAL will cover busses as loing as it is still a Bus.. they are 2 different divsions and 2 different websites.. you go online and get a quote.. use the CHASSIS for your bus as the model and make for it.. and put in your VIN... a quote will pop out then you CALL them to buy the policy... they will ask you if your bus is a bus.. (in my case my Bus is staying a Bus with some mods but I still have seats and an aisle and the driver area is bus-like..)..

I cannot say what they cover and do not cover if you do a full out conversion.. but for full out conversiuons you have the RV isnurance providers once you get plumbing, beds, etc installed...

-Christopher
I have a conversion. I have a wood stove a bed loft a cooking option and a sink. They still will not classify me as an RV without a toilet. What am I? What do I do!
HolySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:54 PM   #18
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,745
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Sounds like you need a toilet.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:04 PM   #19
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: KANSAS CITY
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdreams View Post
We're in Missouri
Try Farm Bureau
__________________
Former owner of a 1969 F600 Skoolie.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #20
Bus Nut
 
Dapplecreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: near Christiansburg VA
Posts: 692
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolySpirit View Post
I have a conversion. I have a wood stove a bed loft a cooking option and a sink. They still will not classify me as an RV without a toilet. What am I? What do I do!
Maybe a bucket with sawdust in it?

Welcome, by the way... You handed us such a great straight line that you can expect some less-than-stellar responses. But usually folks here are astonishingly helpful, and I know you'll be thrilled at the amount of help you'll find. Wishing you the best...
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×