Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #61
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH777 View Post
GOOD INFO!
BTW--He is in IOWA
As soon as its done we are FTing and changing our state of residence..not that it does me any good now.

mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Insurance

I finally got Allstate through my agent. All the other major carriers would not cover a converted school bus. Allstate just required my agent to take pics after the conversion and I had insurance after a week. It's a little pricey, but I have full coverage including towing coverage. Good Sam was another option. However, Good Sam was 70.00 cheaper, but they were only liability so going with Allstate was a no-brainer.
fabrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #63
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrini View Post
I finally got Allstate through my agent. All the other major carriers would not cover a converted school bus. Allstate just required my agent to take pics after the conversion and I had insurance after a week. It's a little pricey, but I have full coverage including towing coverage. Good Sam was another option. However, Good Sam was 70.00 cheaper, but they were only liability so going with Allstate was a no-brainer.
Depends on the state you are in.

In Ohio..... My Allstate agent tells me Allstate will not cover a school bus conversion. ( and in Ohio it's easy to get title converted to motor home which my buses always are. So I'm never trying to insure a school bus).

As a long time client of Allstate who has "most" of their vehicles and home with them (I have several cars & trucks with them)... It seems strange to me they will do this for you.

I inquired about motor home insurance and they said NO SCHOOL BUS CONVERSIONS!

Had to do my bus with Grange. Do my classic cars with Hagerty. Use to use State farm for that stuff but they stopped doing a bus and got too pricey on the classics so I switched off.

But as has been stated here many times before. It depends on the state you are in.

I also suggest using a good agent rather than going online or calling insurance companies directly . The independent agents seem best for this as they deal with multiple insurance companies.

As with anything or anyone... You will find that some agents are very helpful & some are worthless. Find the good ones.
CH777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #64
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Ive already found most are worthless
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH777 View Post
Depends on the state you are in.

In Ohio..... My Allstate agent tells me Allstate will not cover a school bus conversion. ( and in Ohio it's easy to get title converted to motor home which my buses always are. So I'm never trying to insure a school bus).

As a long time client of Allstate who has "most" of their vehicles and home with them (I have several cars & trucks with them)... It seems strange to me they will do this for you.

I inquired about motor home insurance and they said NO SCHOOL BUS CONVERSIONS!

Had to do my bus with Grange. Do my classic cars with Hagerty. Use to use State farm for that stuff but they stopped doing a bus and got too pricey on the classics so I switched off.

But as has been stated here many times before. It depends on the state you are in.

I also suggest using a good agent rather than going online or calling insurance companies directly . The independent agents seem best for this as they deal with multiple insurance companies.

As with anything or anyone... You will find that some agents are very helpful & some are worthless. Find the good ones.
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:55 PM   #65
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Engine: 6.0L 366 Chevy Big Block
Rated Cap: 47
Mikey ,,,

Need your help . Who did you get to finally insure your bus ? Mine is already registered as a motorhome and has all the seat tore out and floor down . So it wouldn't even work as a bus . I tried auto owners and they cancelled me .
arod79sae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:37 PM   #66
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Frieghtliner - 40ft overall
Engine: 210hp Mercedes Benz Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 person (originally)
State Farm
05FrieghtlinerThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #67
Mini-Skoolie

I also have state farm, but I'm still registered as a truck.
Hott76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #68
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hott76 View Post
I also have state farm, but I'm still registered as a truck.
As an insurance agent... I would warn you to be careful with this type of policy. It leaves big wide open doors for your insurance company to deny any claim.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:39 PM   #69
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Frieghtliner - 40ft overall
Engine: 210hp Mercedes Benz Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 person (originally)
what kind of insurance denials have tou experienced?
05FrieghtlinerThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:41 PM   #70
Mini-Skoolie

I went through American family. It was suoer easy and my bus wasnt even finished when I insured it. Although I had it registered as an RV so that might have been the key. I sent them the vin number and emailed them a few pics. I got full coverage and my ins is only 40 bucks a month
Blueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #71
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05FrieghtlinerThomas View Post
what kind of insurance denials have tou experienced?
Whenever the vehicle is not as described the insurer can deny a payout. Even if it were simply a truck but highly customized or equipped... the insurance company could deny a claim based just on that. I legit policy for that bus (an RV policy written at stated value) is the safest option and would likely not cost you much more if any from what you are currently paying.
Keep in mind even a best case policy like I mentioned above has some gray area in it.. with a diy skoolie the best you can do is keep the risks of non pay out to a very minimum.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:06 PM   #72
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInTN View Post
Whenever the vehicle is not as described the insurer can deny a payout. Even if it were simply a truck but highly customized or equipped... the insurance company could deny a claim based just on that. I legit policy for that bus (an RV policy written at stated value) is the safest option and would likely not cost you much more if any from what you are currently paying.
Keep in mind even a best case policy like I mentioned above has some gray area in it.. with a diy skoolie the best you can do is keep the risks of non pay out to a very minimum.
This is my concern when I hear people say " I just went in DMV, told them it was an RV now,( even though the seats are still in and it's a school bus), and they issue me title and registration as an RV". I'd be real concerned when the insurance company checks out your claim and find the vehicle is not as described.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #73
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
This is my concern when I hear people say " I just went in DMV, told them it was an RV now,( even though the seats are still in and it's a school bus), and they issue me title and registration as an RV". I'd be real concerned when the insurance company checks out your claim and find the vehicle is not as described.

Agreed. When the DMV does register it as an RV, however, that is a legally endorsed document that WILL hold up in court. The insurance company may not like it and may drop the policy if they feel they didn't fully understand what they had signed up for, but it will pay out. I can't speak for all insurance companies that would write a bus as an RV, but my company is knowingly aware and fine with bus conversions in TN/GA.

The limitation in states is due to the restrictions of the state insurance commission in each state. Many states have much much tougher restrictions for such policies and that's why most insurers decide that in those states writing skoolie policies isn't worth it to the company to offer. Fortunately in TN/Ga and I believe TX, its a worthwhile line of business to a few extra companies to take on. Sadly, most of the companies that write skoolie policies want pictures showing completion or near completion on the conversion. Liberty, thankfully for me/us does not ask for proof... nor do they ask any questions about the current state of progress.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #74
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInTN View Post
Agreed. When the DMV does register it as an RV, however, that is a legally endorsed document that WILL hold up in court. The insurance company may not like it and may drop the policy if they feel they didn't fully understand what they had signed up for, but it will pay out. I can't speak for all insurance companies that would write a bus as an RV, but my company is knowingly aware and fine with bus conversions in TN/GA.

The limitation in states is due to the restrictions of the state insurance commission in each state. Many states have much much tougher restrictions for such policies and that's why most insurers decide that in those states writing skoolie policies isn't worth it to the company to offer. Fortunately in TN/Ga and I believe TX, its a worthwhile line of business to a few extra companies to take on. Sadly, most of the companies that write skoolie policies want pictures showing completion or near completion on the conversion. Liberty, thankfully for me/us does not ask for proof... nor do they ask any questions about the current state of progress.
I don't find it sad at all that they require pics so everyone is on the same page when it comes time to file a claim. My concern is DMV making changes to paperwork incorrectly stating what it is, insurance should turn you down if the paperwork does not match the vehicle requirements.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #75
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I don't find it sad at all that they require pics so everyone is on the same page when it comes time to file a claim. My concern is DMV making changes to paperwork incorrectly stating what it is, insurance should turn you down if the paperwork does not match the vehicle requirements.
I had a problem because my bus was parked in my own yard. City has a "no buses at all on private property" ordinance. Motorhomes are allowed.
I called my insurance co and told them my problem. City won't let me park it in town if the title says "BU". Insurance said its totally fine to change title to MH.
Its your stated purpose that determines what your insurance thinks.
This was with Progressive, in Florida, and done through a brick and mortar insurance agent's office. YMMV.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:36 AM   #76
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
. Insurance said its totally fine to change title to MH.
Its your stated purpose that determines what your insurance thinks.
Imagine that.....,
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote