Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #1

insurance and registration Massachusetts

Hi everyone,

I am a Dutch visiting student, living in Boston Massachusetts for a year. Before heading back to the Netherlands, I am planning on making a two-month roadtrip with a friend of mine in a skoolie across the states (+- 8000 miles trip). I have some questions about insurance and registration and am hoping you could help us out.
We found a bus (International Carpenter Short bus) that we want to buy, but don't know what we have to do to get it insured and registered as an RV in Massachusetts after we have bought it.

- So it has to be converted to an RV and get new license plates (if I am right). Do we need to do all this at the RMV?
- Do we need any other kind of license our check? I read all kinds of things on the internet, so am a little confused...

Does anyone have any ideas where to start? We are going to the RMV tomorrow, but don't know if we get all our answers there...
Besides, how much will this registration process cost us approximately?
What can I expect to pay for insurance?

Hopefully you can help us out.
Thank you very much,

Stijn

Stijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: insurance and registration Massachusetts

Best thing is to go to DMV or email tag and registration office and ask them,good luck
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #3

Unhappy Current situation

Did you find any answers on this?? This is my current issue and I am completely lost
MAamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
This is not my business since I'm in Oregon, but have you considered registering it as a van? Sometimes that's easier depending on the state.

Just thinking, because in most states to be a motorhome you have to have plumbing, toilet, cooking facilities and more. Other states you can register as a motorhome just by asking. Just be flexible with what fits your situation.