Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2018, 07:59 AM   #1

Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: 2004 GMC Savana
Engine: 6 liter, 8 cylinder Vortec
Insurance and Registration Question

I just bought a 2004 GMC Savanna short bus and I am trying to sort out how to register and insure it?

I live in VT and I have read the material on registering it as a motorhome and that seems doable but I am unsure whether I will be able to get it insured, as I read some companies won't insure it unless it has a bathroom which would be hard to fit in this little thing. (I have talked to 2 insurance agents already and they both were unable to inure as motorhome).

Has anybody had any luck registering and insuring a short bus like this as a van or box truck?

If I go the motorhome route - any suggestions for companies in Vermont that will cover registered motorhome without a bathroom?

Also open to other possibilities?

Thanks,
Bill

stcyrwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:31 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Coach & Equipment MFG
Chassis: ford E350 superduty
Engine: 5.4 liter v8
Rated Cap: 7 passenger
my e350 bus is registered as a van (that's what the title said and i played dumb/stupid at the DMV,.. ) i gave the insurance company the vin and they said "e-350 van?" i said " yup" this is one situation where giving more information than asked for is not going to help and avoid saying the word bus its not what you are going to be driving you are going to be driving your personal vehicle based on a van/truck chassis .
Old 06-29-2018, 10:52 AM   #3

Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: 2004 GMC Savana
Engine: 6 liter, 8 cylinder Vortec
Unfortunately mine is titled as a bus... so I can't leave it out of the registration process but if they are willing to let me switch it - hopefully with as much ease as they register motorhomes then maybe I can insure it that way....
stcyrwm is offline   Reply With Quote