Old 02-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Re: Insurance for 6 months US and 6 months CANADA

Nat,

You're right in some way, and I wish we could 'just' do it by the rules.
Alas, it's not that easy. We are Europeans which makes everything harder. And yes, we are talking to lawyers.

We don't want to make money with the bus, we are a non-profit, supporting Beyond Boarding (www.beyondboarding.org) and doing nothing but good for the mountains.. so all we need is a way to cover our expenses.
Letsbenomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:54 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Wayne Chaperone
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

Letsbenomads, how does being European change the fact that you are trying to insure a bus? How do these "clients" propose to pay their way for the trip in the bus?

Are you a non-profit organization registered in the United States?
schoolmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Schoolmarm,

To take it a few steps back, no we ware not an official non-profit, but we are not keeping the profits for ourselves. We try to use a non-profit license from a non-profit but is not really working out. And maybe the Canadian production company we will be partnering up with will be able to help us in some way.
The clients will pay through paypal online. The fact of being European is not a big problem for insurance but I thought it probably would be for becoming a commercial vehicle.

BUT, now my question is.. do we actually have to be a commercial vehicle if we have 5 paying passengers on board, in total we will still not bet more than 9. The normal amount that makes you a commercial vehicle. Can we just be personal even though we have 5 paying passengers?

Thanks
Old 02-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
Skoolie

It is my opinion that if you are "trying" to be a non-profit but are not legally a non-profit and you get caught then you will be in more trouble than you wish to be in.

ANY repeat ANY amount of money that your "clients" pay you automatically makes you a "commercial endeavor".

Again let me say that no one is against your idea, just do it legally.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsbenomads
Do we actually have to be a commercial vehicle if we have 5 paying passengers on board, in total we will still not bet more than 9. The normal amount that makes you a commercial vehicle. Can we just be personal even though we have 5 paying passengers?

Thanks
No, that number of passengers makes you a commercial Driver, here you need a class 2.

Number of passengers has nothing to do with a motor vehicle being commercial or not. If you make money with it, it's commercial.

Even pizza and news paper delivery cars are commercial and require commercial insurance.

Again, what did the lawyer say?

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:45 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsbenomads
Do we actually have to be a commercial vehicle if we have 5 paying passengers on board, in total we will still not bet more than 9. The normal amount that makes you a commercial vehicle. Can we just be personal even though we have 5 paying passengers?

Thanks
No, that number of passengers makes you a commercial Driver, here you need a class 2.

Number of passengers has nothing to do with a motor vehicle being commercial or not. If you make money with it, it's commercial.

Even pizza and news paper delivery cars are commercial and require commercial insurance.

Again, what did the lawyer say?

Nat

THIS X 10. Not only are you commercial, you will be interstate commercial transporting passengers. Say hello to DOT. I'm guessing 3 million in liability.

This is going to sound much harsher than I mean it to. We have enough of our own mushheads here spouting off about this global warming and climate change nonsense. We don't need to import more mushheads from Europe to come here and try to run an illegal business trying to dodge our taxes while their expenses traveling our country are paid by this so called nonprofit. Go run your illegal business in Europe and see how far you get. If you want to come here and travel, smoke some pot in Colorado, hit the slopes, donate to your nonprofit, you are more than welcome. If you don't want do it legal, skip the US and go to Canada where they will probably tell you the same thing. Cheers.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #17
Site Team

CC good writing that is correct in my thinking also

And to plan a Ski adventure around a school bus...

can you actually and safely travel the western USA and Canada in a school bus?

I guess carry chains for drives and steers...doesn't sound fun to me
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

skip the US and go to Canada no no , if that's happens must bring own shovels, snowblowers, snowshoes, firewood, plow trucks, going to have another 10cm of snow today last thing we need is another mushead telling us we will be able to grow our own bananas cause of global warming
gbstewart
Old 02-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #19
Skoolie

What part of no don't they understand, there are at least three different people that have explained that what they are trying to do is illegal, so they post a new topic stating the same thing as before.

Illegal is illegal and cannot be explained away.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

First of all, thanks for all the positivity surrounding our questions.
At least we know now it is not going to be easy.
We are looking for answers that can contribute to making our project legal and happen, not the other way around.
Thanks for pointing us into the direction of DOT for example.
We are trying to get answers from lawyers, but that's also not so easy.
Anybody knows if we would start a business in Europe and come over to the US, would that make it legal?
Thanks