Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 05:06 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Rated Cap: 77
Insurance for Skoolies in Virginia

Anyone have a Insurance company in VA that will cover a unconverted skoolie? I need to get it covered to keep plates on it. The private commercial option for a year is as much as I paid for the bus. Seems VA is a tough state to get liability in.

Reddogleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddogleader View Post
Anyone have a Insurance company in VA that will cover a unconverted skoolie? I need to get it covered to keep plates on it. The private commercial option for a year is as much as I paid for the bus. Seems VA is a tough state to get liability in.
I called my State Farm agent today and asked about the school bus conversion. She checked with her underwriter. The information I have from her is that if the bus is converted to an RV it has to be a "real" RV. It can't be, and I quote "just a bus with a futon thrown in it." So the catch is that the bus has to meet the requirements of an RV. She is going to check with me what that means. She believes that means the work must be documented for the underwriter. Once the vehicle is considered an RV, she says the insurance will be less than $300 per year.

What did you pay for your bus if I might ask?

I'm having a hard time finding out how to register the bus simply as some kind of private truck and what that might mean. If it's not an "RV" can it be some kind of private truck?

I am going to fill out an information form from my virginia DMV account and ask some questions. I've had good luck getting quick, helpful and informative responses from the DMV folks online.

I'm seeing interesting auctions on GovDeals.com

Let me know how it turns out!
I'm in Northern VA. Wouldn't mind PMing or emailing to put our heads together on some solutions.

I'm pretty damn close to pulling the trigger on a bus if the numbers add up. Just need a place to park it and work on it.

Good luck!!
whirlygigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:43 AM   #3

Did you ever get your questions answered.

I live just outside Front Royal (Up on Blue Mountain) and was considering a Skoolie myself but I want to "Get my ducks in a row" first.

I've seen that Good Sam (Progressive) will insure, but I'm also wondering about Road Side assistance packages.

Been keeping my eye on GovDeals and BusCrazy.net as well.
wyrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Hey whirlygigg

Where are you with your bus? Are you still looking? Did you crack the DMV? Did you find a place to do the conversion work?

I'm in Springfield VA and looking to purchase a bus next summer to begin conversion. I think I'll need to register it as a private bus initially and put it in a storage status (no driving) to keep the insurance low while working on it. Once I've done the work, Virginia will allow it to be titled as a custom/modified vehicle. I think that will help with the insurance rates. Unfortunately, I don't think Virginia will allow me to title it as an RV. I'll need to do that when we move somewhere that allows it.
PappySki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Ricky Burgess in Moneta, VA can help you with a converted bus: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/ins...-va-14573.html

Marie Ruiz can help with a cheap commercial policy for a privately owned bus (that you're converting): http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/ne...lem-15620.html
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:42 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappySki View Post
Hey whirlygigg

Where are you with your bus? Are you still looking? Did you crack the DMV? Did you find a place to do the conversion work?

I'm in Springfield VA and looking to purchase a bus next summer to begin conversion. I think I'll need to register it as a private bus initially and put it in a storage status (no driving) to keep the insurance low while working on it. Once I've done the work, Virginia will allow it to be titled as a custom/modified vehicle. I think that will help with the insurance rates. Unfortunately, I don't think Virginia will allow me to title it as an RV. I'll need to do that when we move somewhere that allows it.
you can get it inspected by the state police and change it to an rv. my insurance thru progressive was 800 the first year and 380 the second year. mine is still registered as a private bus, im happy
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #7

Year: 1990
Engine: 366
I've got a skoolie in Pearisburg, Va. Called Marie at AIS today--she would not insure my bus because I had already started the conversion process. Apparently, AIS will only do a liability-only policy if you have not started the conversion.
gas up and go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:29 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
call 276 628 8238 he's south of ya in Abingdon. tia inc.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I'm in NC and had zero trouble going through Farm Bureau.

Check out mysdaddress.com and see if you can register it in SD.They WILL be able to assist with any questions you have. It's what they do.
Zizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:27 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizzer View Post
I'm in NC and had zero trouble going through Farm Bureau.
I have had Farm Bureau insurance in VA for years for home, auto and flood insurance. I called my agent about insuring a school bus for as a private vehicle because I was looking at some at auction in the local school district. He checked with all the underwriters he knows and no one would insure it, so I haven't purchased a bus yet. He said it's tough to get a commercial vehicle (bus) insured in VA for private use. Frustrating because while I could buy a used Class A or C rv and remodel it, they are all built like crap. I really want a skoolie that I know is built tough and that I can built to may taste. The only close option would be to buy an ole Bluebird Wanderlodge, but these cost much more than I can buy a newer skoolie for. Ughhh!!!!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
I have had Farm Bureau insurance in VA for years for home, auto and flood insurance. I called my agent about insuring a school bus for as a private vehicle because I was looking at some at auction in the local school district. He checked with all the underwriters he knows and no one would insure it, so I haven't purchased a bus yet. He said it's tough to get a commercial vehicle (bus) insured in VA for private use. Frustrating because while I could buy a used Class A or C rv and remodel it, they are all built like crap. I really want a skoolie that I know is built tough and that I can built to may taste. The only close option would be to buy an ole Bluebird Wanderlodge, but these cost much more than I can buy a newer skoolie for. Ughhh!!!!

The insurance companies have different rules and maximum size/weight limits they have to adhere to and it varies state to state based on what a particular state's insurance bureau allows them to do.

I've done a few buses this year for under conversion/to be converted and they were all with National General. If they want to share their experiences they can, but I'm not going to mention anyone without their permission.

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutphinins View Post
The insurance companies have different rules and maximum size/weight limits they have to adhere to and it varies state to state based on what a particular state's insurance bureau allows them to do.

I've done a few buses this year for under conversion/to be converted and they were all with National General. If they want to share their experiences they can, but I'm not going to mention anyone without their permission.
Thanks Ricky. What was the approx cost of the annual insurance for this in Va?
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:38 AM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Thanks Ricky. What was the approx cost of the annual insurance for this in Va?

Again, it depends on the vehicle and the person but I've had some of them under $500 and some higher. If the insureds want to share they are welcome to, but it's not something I'll share unless they say I can.

M.L. Sutphin Insurance Agency, Inc.
Make it simple - we insure it all!
15402663074 | 14344736244
sutphinins is offline   Reply With Quote