Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouncer View Post
What state do you live in? I live in Michigan for now, but will move to Indiana soon and I'm sure the rates there will be much cheaper.
Iowa, State farm seems to be the one to try.

mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:19 PM   #22
Bus Nut

State Farm will insure a bus, only if your an existing customer..#*!@&$#
Old 07-30-2018, 07:26 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
State Farm is state specific. Here in Ga. they will NOT insure it while it is a bus, but will once the RV requirements have been met.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:43 PM   #24
Bus Nut

I need to find some, bringing my bus home this week.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:53 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
I need to find some, bringing my bus home this week.
Did you ever answer whether you were currently insured in any vehicle? If so. they probably cover you in any new purchase for a week or so, many do.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:06 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Frieghtliner - 40ft overall
Engine: 210hp Mercedes Benz Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 person (originally)
National General insures everybody, when it is officially an RV, titled...
05FrieghtlinerThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:47 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Did you ever answer whether you were currently insured in any vehicle? If so. they probably cover you in any new purchase for a week or so, many do.
Im insured through USAA/ progressive. No such luck there..lol..going to try your suggestion today.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:48 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05FrieghtlinerThomas View Post
National General insures everybody, when it is officially an RV, titled...
Its not titled as an RV.....yet
Old 10-15-2019, 07:57 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 66
“Pouncer” if you have bus insurance in Michigan keep it. I have been unable
To find insurance in Indiana for our bus. And it is a pretty decent conversion. I had to keep my Michigan policy for now.
miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:47 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: Oshkosh
Engine: 5.9L 6BT / MT643
Rated Cap: 26
Just adding here..

I wonder how all the skoolies with roof decks keep their insurance. It seems that most of the buses I'm familiar with have them, certainly most of the youtubers I follow have them. Wood stoves are pretty common too.

I want a deck myself, so this is something I'll have to consider/figure out. Hmmmmm, what if you covered over your deck with solar panels, just for the photos to "pass" inspection?

Yeah anyways, another option for insurance that I didn't see mentioned here is AmFam (American Family), that's who I have my insurance through.
NovaTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:21 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaTRON View Post
I wonder how all the skoolies with roof decks keep their insurance. It seems that most of the buses I'm familiar with have them, certainly most of the youtubers I follow have them. Wood stoves are pretty common too.

I want a deck myself, so this is something I'll have to consider/figure out. Hmmmmm, what if you covered over your deck with solar panels, just for the photos to "pass" inspection?
The problem becomes when you have a claim against your insurance for anything, and they discover you have a roof deck, which they said you could not have, they can deny the claim and drop the policy completely. All they do in that case is refund you your premiums back to day one and it's like you never had insurance to begin with. This can also become a bigger issue if the state requires insurance and they find out that you essentially haven't been insured for X number of years, they can try to asses you a fine for not maintaining insurance the whole time you have been registered.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:27 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if you are in ohio and they discover you are not legally covered its an automatic revocation of your license for 90 days with Zero privileges for work or medical.. (ie you are walking)..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
if you are in ohio and they discover you are not legally covered its an automatic revocation of your license for 90 days with Zero privileges for work or medical.. (ie you are walking)..

Or in the state of AZ, most with no licenses are on a home made gas powered 10-speed bike...
Old 10-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: Oshkosh
Engine: 5.9L 6BT / MT643
Rated Cap: 26
There's got to be a way to have both a deck and insurance, else we have an epidemic of skoolies in our community that are either uninsurable or are one claim away from devastation.

I'll probably build mine to be easy to remove, that way if I need to hide it for some unforseen reason, I'll just pull the decking off.
NovaTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:20 PM   #35
Bus Geek

The majority of Americans are living on the brink, one major crisis of **any** kind away from economic devastation.

I would not expect skoolie dwellers to be in some special privileged class above that normal condition.

Could y'all explain, what makes having a deck worth the trouble?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:29 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Oooh, Oooh, can I answer that question?!!!! The best thing about having a deck is the beautiful views one gets at the expense of several miles per gallon!
Personally, I won't do it. More things to maintain. Solar is the only thing going up on the roof. As much as I like the wood burning stoves, I do not like the chimneys coming out the roof. Reminds me of a tin shed. Just my personal feelings. That said, I would not want to be in the really cold areas of the country for 6 months while feeding a wood stove let alone the dedicated space needed for it.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:01 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
Oooh, Oooh, can I answer that question?!!!! The best thing about having a deck is the beautiful views one gets at the expense of several miles per gallon!
Personally, I won't do it. More things to maintain. Solar is the only thing going up on the roof. As much as I like the wood burning stoves, I do not like the chimneys coming out the roof. Reminds me of a tin shed. Just my personal feelings. That said, I would not want to be in the really cold areas of the country for 6 months while feeding a wood stove let alone the dedicated space needed for it.

esp with the price of diesel heaters being so reasonable.. but then again if someone has an endl;ess supply of free wood.. like my parents every year walk into their woods and tie ribbons around the dead trees they find (no leaves).. (theres always a few).. then once the ground is frozen they cut em down and drag em out.. that is wood that gets split and stacked during spring for next season..

now they dont live in a bus.. just a house. but nevertheless that solid stack of free wood greatly lowers their total heating bill for the winter
Old 10-21-2020, 10:47 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Quote:
esp with the price of diesel heaters being so reasonable.. but then again if someone has an endl;ess supply of free wood.. like my parents every year walk into their woods and tie ribbons around the dead trees they find (no leaves).. (theres always a few).. then once the ground is frozen they cut em down and drag em out.. that is wood that gets split and stacked during spring for next season..

now they dont live in a bus.. just a house. but nevertheless that solid stack of free wood greatly lowers their total heating bill for the winter
Can't do that living in a bus on the road but I guess you could pick up branches along the way. Those mini woodstoves are cute and probably put out a ton of heat but they have to be fed frequently. I'm not big on waking up every 1-2 hrs to stay warm.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:32 AM   #39
Bus Geek

some of the people here with wood stoves end up parked for several months at a time.. or if you are boondocking in the woods someplace you could conceiveably have a good source of dead / dry wood to burn.. some people are also interested in being as off-grid non-society as possible so they wish to burb wood they find vs buiy diesel fuel..

me personally if I lived or camped in a bus I would have a pair of diesel heaters and install a nice big tank to run em.. they are clean and easy. .. the maintenance on them in the spring months is pretty easy.. change the fuel filters, clean and inspect the glow-plug and make sure the air filter is clean.. again im also not an off-gridder.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:59 AM   #40
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
some of the people here with wood stoves end up parked for several months at a time.. or if you are boondocking in the woods someplace you could conceiveably have a good source of dead / dry wood to burn.. some people are also interested in being as off-grid non-society as possible so they wish to burb wood they find vs buiy diesel fuel..

me personally if I lived or camped in a bus I would have a pair of diesel heaters and install a nice big tank to run em.. they are clean and easy. .. the maintenance on them in the spring months is pretty easy.. change the fuel filters, clean and inspect the glow-plug and make sure the air filter is clean.. again im also not an off-gridder.
We've found that getting wood when we need it isn't all that hard. If nothing else, gas station firewood bundles will do in a pinch. There's almost always something to be scrounged up in the wild. We're spending a few winter months parked in the NC mountains so we'll see how it shakes out, but, our plan is to use the diesel air heater overnight and the wood stove during the day when necessary. The burn time on the stove won't allow us to use it through the night. Nothing beats the ease of the diesel air heater and nothing beats the ambiance of heating with wood.

Tags
illinois, insurance