Old 04-01-2016, 07:03 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
In talking with progressive more about commercial insurance , it appears the easiest way and what they understand the best is to find the truck model of the chassis.. So international s2000 or whatever the hood says on the side seems to match best with the vin and they are more than willing to insure it commercially even full coverage for personal use only .. The second person I talked to appears to have done this before.. They don't care how it's registered, other than in Ohio there is a gray area between 9 and 15 seats.. The absolute safest way in Ohio to be legal she said is to be 9 seats or less.. She also stated that the best way to determine capacity ( school busses are tricky about capacity) is to install seats with belts.. A belt determines one seating position.. This all pertains to Ohio.. All together a 100/300/50 liability and 10k full coverage will cost about $500 per year. I suppose to some that's expensive.. To me it's seems quite reasonable ... And easy.. We will see if it sticks but she had no issues with what in doing..

My bus will meet the state reg requirements for an RV .. And is insurable as a commercial vehicle for personal use... And I don't have to have sinks or toilets ... Just the things I want.. Bed frig micro table and some seats.. Perfect!
Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:17 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
In talking with progressive more about commercial insurance , it appears the easiest way and what they understand the best is to find the truck model of the chassis.. So international s2000 or whatever the hood says on the side seems to match best with the vin and they are more than willing to insure it commercially even full coverage for personal use only .. The second person I talked to appears to have done this before.. They don't care how it's registered, other than in Ohio there is a gray area between 9 and 15 seats.. The absolute safest way in Ohio to be legal she said is to be 9 seats or less.. She also stated that the best way to determine capacity ( school busses are tricky about capacity) is to install seats with belts.. A belt determines one seating position.. This all pertains to Ohio.. All together a 100/300/50 liability and 10k full coverage will cost about $500 per year. I suppose to some that's expensive.. To me it's seems quite reasonable ... And easy.. We will see if it sticks but she had no issues with what in doing..

My bus will meet the state reg requirements for an RV .. And is insurable as a commercial vehicle for personal use... And I don't have to have sinks or toilets ... Just the things I want.. Bed frig micro table and some seats.. Perfect!
Christopher
That's pretty much what I did. No worries about "RV" stuff!
Old 08-30-2016, 01:26 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
All together a 100/300/50 liability and 10k full coverage will cost about $500 per year. I suppose to some that's expensive.. To me it's seems quite reasonable ... And easy.. We will see if it sticks but she had no issues with what in doing..
So you did get this policy to go through with progressive?

I am in exactly the same boat you were in. I just want to be able to legally use this darn vehicle!
barbar0ssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbar0ssa View Post
So you did get this policy to go through with progressive?

I am in exactly the same boat you were in. I just want to be able to legally use this darn vehicle!
yep worked like a champ.. ive had my policy since late april and still in force when i check the website each month.. im guessing ohio is pretty easy since progressive is based here.... I have full coverage declared vaslue 12,500 (receipts to make value real with bus cost, A/C units, electronics, batteries, paint, etc..)..

my bus is titled and registered in ohio as an RV.. but its still pretty much a bus (I still have some seats and all the skoolie windows, foors, etcv)..

I did an online quote using the chassis and VIN of my bus in the online quote.. then called them and activated the policyt... they sent a couople docs over which I e-signed and got m y online portal set up.. and insurance cards online.. then they also came in the mail...

even though I have an apartment in florida I fully plan on keeping my bus reigstered and insured at my house in ohio as i hear florida is a real PITA!

-Christopher
Old 08-30-2016, 05:47 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
FL is pretty easy compared to most states.
I had a hard time, but generally FL is about as ideal a state for skoolie ownership as one could hope for.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:02 PM   #16
Bus Geek

getting covered sotrage in FL seems to be a PITA though... easy in ohio.. but darnit I want my bus with me this winter in FL!
-Christopher
Old 09-01-2016, 11:43 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I have insurance!!!

Once I came up with a business justification, I followed your advice and started online at progressive commercial and then gave them a call to finish. $316/yr!
barbar0ssa is offline   Reply With Quote