Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #1

Insurance in FL

Hey Guys,

Anyone know what companies will insure a converted school bus in Florida?

Also, what steps do we need to take as far as registration for the bus once we purchase it?

Thank you!!

Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
When you register it you just register it like any other vehicle. There's an affidavit you can write up or print out that you can turn in to them that will change the title to "MH" if you want to.
Progressive commercial insurance will cover you, but DON'T apply online. Go to a physical insurance agent and set up a policy. Don't tell Progressive you're converting the bus, or they'll drop you. PROGRESSIVE DOES NOT INSURE CONVERTED SCHOOL BUSES.
Mine isn't "converted". Its a "mobile office".
Just make sure its a commercial policy for PRIVATE, personal use.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 2003
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: MBE 904
So after getting a commercial policy for private personal use, do you just register the bus with whatever designation they put? My title is from VA and it's classified as SH BUS. When I converted my ford e350 van to a class B I did the affidavit thing and it was painless. What's the advantage to converting the title to MH here in florida? If I don't convert the title to MH will I have to stop at weigh stations or do anything special? I'll have all the seats out so I'm not sure about the 15 passenger rule thing I've been seeing.
Gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:16 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorbait View Post
So after getting a commercial policy for private personal use, do you just register the bus with whatever designation they put? My title is from VA and it's classified as SH BUS. When I converted my ford e350 van to a class B I did the affidavit thing and it was painless. What's the advantage to converting the title to MH here in florida? If I don't convert the title to MH will I have to stop at weigh stations or do anything special? I'll have all the seats out so I'm not sure about the 15 passenger rule thing I've been seeing.
Leave it bus, or change it. It doesn't matter, imo. I have two buses. one titled bus, the other titled motorhome. The city made me show them the "MH" title to park my shorty in the yard at my own house.
Never stop at weigh stations or ag inspections.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:35 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 2003
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: MBE 904
K so what is the point of converting the title? A chance at cheaper insurance? Are there any restrictions to having the title as a bus? Or special requirements from me for having it titled as a bus?

I should be able to find insurance, transfer the title to me and register it, get the plate, and drive straight to utah and start converting it? I'm familiar with vans, but this bus thing is all new to me. Thanks for your help.
Gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice needed, florida, insurance, registration