Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2019, 08:10 AM   #1
Skoolie

Insurance in NJ

Last year I bought a E-450 short bus. I assumed that insurance would be no problem based on the fact that there are a bunch around near me that are clearly not RV conversions. The DMV gave me a title and registered it as a class 8 vehicle but apparently the VIN number is cancer to insurance companies as not a single one will cover my bus. I am really trying to avoid the hassle of an inspected RV conversion. So far I have tried NJM, american modern, and haggerty. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where i can get coverage? My biggest issue with the whole thing is that I can go buy and e 450 van body and seat 15 people and get insurance in 2 seconds... What makes a short bus any different?

E450Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:20 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
NJM put mine through, though it showed up as a Chevy G3500. I've not been down the road yet, but how ugly is it to have the bus "converted" to an RV on its title in the Garden State?
Old 02-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #3
Skoolie

My main issue is that I already have it titled to me as a passenger vehicle... although it is titled somehow as a Corbiel which doesn't make sense at all because the VIN was assigned by FORD... If the state is willing to give me a title for it with no hoops to jump through then why don't any insurance companies cover it? I mean and yahoo with a pulse can buy bigger vehicles and get insurance no problem.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:40 AM   #4
Skoolie

Got my bus insured. Progressive commercial for personal use policy. Super cheap too less than 500 for a basic policy.