Old 03-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #1

Insurance in NJ

Hey, I have been having a little trouble finding someone to insure me in NJ. GMAC doesn't cover in NJ and the numerous other companies I have called have turned me down on the basis of "amateur" conversion. Under their 'guidelines', they will only insure an RV that was a) originally manufactured and titled as an RV or b) converted by a 'professional'. Anyone know of an insurance company that could do it, or possibly just a way around this bullshit.

Thanks
amorris290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #2

Re: Insurance in NJ

pretty screwed, ehh? The worst part is Progressive said they would insure me before I even bought the bus, however, after I purchased it, and called them back to begin the insurance plan, they would no longer do it. I'm only giving this a few more weeks of frustration, then my newly acquired bus will be up for sale.
amorris290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Send a message via AIM to baadpuppy Send a message via MSN to baadpuppy Send a message via Yahoo to baadpuppy

Try http://www.goodsamrvinsurance.com/ and see if you have any better luck.

hope this helps,
jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:15 PM   #4

Year: 1984
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: GMC 6000
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 66

As anyone found insurance in NJ yet??? I'm having the same problem.
navarredan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
Bus Nut

have you tried neighboring state? might use a PO box in the next state ?

Start your own bus conversion company,,,,hahahaha

good luck
Old 08-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #6

Year: 1984
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: GMC 6000
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 66

OK now we originally had progressive RV insurance that got canceled a few weeks after it was issued....but now I called progressive commercial and told them everything, and they gave me a policy for $670/yr I guess ill just wait and see if they cancel me again, but at least I'm legal for the Philly Folk Fest!
navarredan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16

Convert it to a motorhome and tell them it's a motorhome. Don't use the word bus and be vague. I did that.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B-800
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 55

I got the same bullcrap from several places given that it's a 'custom' motorhome done by a non-professional. I still haven't done the work so I'm waiting until it's done.

Honestly I'm a bit frustrated that they didn't even suggest that someone take a look at the vehicle or I get signoff by a professional.

After it's done, I'm going to first get the title switched to a motorhome class. Then when I call for insurance, I'm going to avoid saying anything about it being 'custom' and just ask if there's a way to have just 'liability' insurance like on cars - meaning they don't cover any damage or replacement to the vehicle, only pay for hospital bills, etc. At that point it really shouldn't matter what's on the INSIDE of the vehicle or what I've done to modify it as long as it's not mechanical or to the safety of the drivablity of the vehicle. I'm not making any suspension, body, brakes, engine, transmission, etc changes, so it shouldn't matter to them what's on the inside or who put it there.

Either way I won't tell them about the 'conversion' and just tell them that the vehicle is a "Ford B-800", not a 'former school bus' or whatever. And if they ask about it not normally being a motorhome, I'd say that's how I got it anyway, and I'm assuming the previous owner is a professional, or just say that it was sold as-is by the auto dealer. I honestly don't care if they resist replacing stuff on the inside, as long as they cover the medical portion, at least for legalities sake. This thing weighs 15,000 lbs so I'm not worried about interior damage in an accident. If there's an accident, I'd be more worried about the OTHER guy.

Worst comes to worst, I might suggest that I can get an RV mechanic/repair shop to take a look at it and give their stamp of approval. I'm assuming they'd know the details of how to safely build the thing and so I'd ask them anyway about any regulations I should follow.

I don't know if any of it's going to work, though, but it's worth a try, and as long as I don't have the anxiety of the conversion process, then I can better face the resistance.
tomas_maly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to mightybus

I'd call Chris Christies office and report how you are getting loblollied by P. If he won't take care of it vote with your feet and say sianara nj.
mightybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B-800
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 55

What did you explain to Progressive Commercial to get insured? Did you say it was a motorhome? Or a school bus?

I was just on the phone with them and they said commercially, motorhomes cannot be used (as a living environment) for more than 30 days out of the year - it's like for a very limited use situation within some business environment.

I also asked about using it as a (school or other) 'bus' and they said they can't insure it unless it's used for business purposes, ie as a fundamental part of the business operations (ie transporting people, etc). Personal use would disqualify it.

Maybe there is a savvy way to explain it to their commercial division so they insure you without getting the feeling you're using it for personal reasons. For me, I'm a web developer, and I plan on living in it F/T, and theoretically, I could say it's a part of my business (being a 'motorhome'), but I'd have to lie about how much I use it as living facilities. I'd have to say I go one a 2 day trip once a month, at MOST. Which isn't my case.

The online quoting system on Progressive Commercial let me quote it as a 'school bus', but it was quoting $150/month, which seemed really steep.

Should I just lie? And if so, what do I say?

GMAC unfortunately does not insure in NJ. The ironic thing is that I don't intend on remaining in NJ long-term. I was originally planning on moving to upstate NY, but I don't have any sort of address in that area. Even if I open a PO Box I think they want a physical address, which I don't have. The title and plates are also NJ ones, and I don't want to switch them over quite yet.
tomas_maly is offline   Reply With Quote