Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2023, 12:43 PM   #41
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas Built Freightliner. Allison 2000 tranny
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65 (dognose)
Engine: Mercedes MBE 906 six cylinder diesel
Rated Cap: 35 feet long
I got insurance in Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by superFreddie View Post
Gbstewart: who did you get coverage from? I don't know what lots insured is but I've also been driving for a long time , 45 years. Thank you.
I brought my bus back to Ontario from Georgia. While it still had temporary plates and insurance from Georgia I did a quick and cheap conversion to get it registered as a motor home. You can see the process here:
https://youtu.be/jN6tvO0vwss

It's true that insurance companies in Ontario are wary of insuring any converted vehicle. I'm now insured through the Nordic Insurance Company of Canada. It's with The Facility for high risk drivers/vehicles. I have a good driving record spanning decades, and the policy is about $200/month.

And forget about including a wood burning stove or roof deck.

David from Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 01:35 PM   #42

Insurance nightmares solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwin View Post
Hello Everyone, after searching and searching for a insurance company to insure my skoolie I came across the name James Browning on this Forum. After a little bit of searching I came across North Kent Mutual Insurance where James Browning is currently at as a insurance agent. I gave him a call at 519-355-8047 left him a message and he got back to me within the same day. I explained to him my situation and he was more than happy to help me out. SOOO good in fact I have switched over all my auto and home policies over. I highly reccomend speaking to James Browning at North Kent Mutual Insurance if you are searching for Motorhome Insurance!!

I'm in Bradford, Ontario! James is absolutely the way to go. His team of underwriters will do it for a small fee. Super easy, and he is soooooo knowledgeable. Plus, he didn't have me on hold for 9 1/2 years... Once they have it written up, they send to it to Facility --which is a high risk market of Canada. $1800- ish is the premium(at least on average). Now that my hubby and feel relieved about this tricky subject we are making an offer on a bus this weekend!

Good luck to all my Canadian converters out there!!! We got this!
AlishaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 03:03 PM   #43
Skoolie

Chassis: GMC 3500 Thomas
Engine: 6.0 L GAS
Interesting.....I'm guessing that's for a full size bus maybe ? I bought a mini-bus because I wanted easier parking and turning around......but maybe part of my luck was that technically my bus shows as a Savannah cut-away so I have it on a commercial vehicle policy. Originally it was about $1060 per year but with the various reductions in rates during covid times ( and now my rural address ) I'm closer to $500 a year. One more good reason to buy a short bus maybe ?
skidfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 05:20 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2011
Coachwork: Thomas C2
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 6.7L
Rated Cap: 48 seat 30ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidfrog View Post
Interesting.....I'm guessing that's for a full size bus maybe ? I bought a mini-bus because I wanted easier parking and turning around......but maybe part of my luck was that technically my bus shows as a Savannah cut-away so I have it on a commercial vehicle policy. Originally it was about $1060 per year but with the various reductions in rates during covid times ( and now my rural address ) I'm closer to $500 a year. One more good reason to buy a short bus maybe ?
We’re on ~$200 per annum for RV insurance for a 30ft, so not sure what your upsell is on a smaller bus paying more than twice what we do!
Sprout.sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 07:15 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidfrog View Post

Yes, 72 passengers.

Haha, could be.
AlishaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 09:28 PM   #46

I had to join this group just to let you know this

I guess a lot of people do not know that when you buy a new to you vehicle you can drive it for 15 days under your existing policy and be covered. After 15 days you will need to get a policy specifically for that vehicle. Every insurance company does this but they do not tell you this unless you ask. This rule allows you to bring your vehicle home from where you purchased it or to the garage fully insured. You need to note that if your existing policy covers the value of your existing vehicle to 50k dollars if your new to you vehicle is worth more than 50k they will only pay up to 50k if you have a total loss during the 15 day grace period you are out the value above your limit of 50k. Now here is the interesting part, last year 2022 I was bidding on a bucket truck that was in Thunder Bay I asked my insurance agent if the rule applied if the vehicle I was purchasing was a commercial vehicle or not and she said yes it makes no difference so I could still drive it home (providing I had a trip permit) with full insurance. Funny how I got into this was just watching a video with Derek from ViseGrip Garage and he was saying how it was next to impossible to insure a bus these days so I did a search and found this string of chat on it. Just had to let you guys know.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 11:20 AM   #47
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
I saw the VGG episode as well, and I gathered he was regurditating what the previous owner told him who obviously gave up mid project because they didn't try hard enough nor did they understand what was required to be a successful skoolie owner. Derick doesnt traverse this forum so he's not in the know and buses are not his forte, so he was definitely taking experience from the wrong people.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote