Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #1

Year: 1988
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: 29ft Bus
Engine: Chevy 454 Propane
Insurance in Oregon

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here on skoolie.net. I am curious if anyone has any information regarding getting insurance on a bus in oregon. I have called several people starting with Progressive insurance which I currently have, and have called twice. I get the same answer from everyone. They will only insure the vehicle if I have receipts proving a professional conversion. I know to get the vehicle inspected and registered as an RV, all I need to do is install permanent sleeping and cooking spaces and pay a $7.00 vin inspection fee. I did not realise that it would be this difficult to get insurance. If anyone knows of a company out there that will insure me. I found a website that clearly states that they will sell insurance for conversions http://www.poliseek.com/bus-conversion-insurance but even when calling them they say that they will not insure a conversion. Any assistance would be greatful.

5k00li3n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #2

Re: Insurance in Oregon

I just wanted to also add that I have attempted to obatain insurance through GMAC, Progressive, and allstate with no luck. I am also interested in insuring this as a Truck as it is just a School bus with no seats and walls. I have not installed anything else at this point until I find out what insurance says. I am also curious as to where I can find information regarding what kind of truck I would register this as.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

if you give gmac your chassis vin number and tell them that is a "2009 motorhome" they should insure it. I have used their insurance for 20 years -under the gmac and another name which is the same company. They recently updated my policy from my coach conversion to my latest school bus.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #4

Ok I will try that. Allstate said that they would be able to insure me and sent me an email requesting VIN numbers for all of my vehicles. I still have not heard a response back from them.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #5

Ok well I have an update here. GMAC requires receipts that the conversion was done professionally. I still have not heard anything back from Allstate, they seem to be sweeping me under the rug. I have been trying to find ANYONE that will insure this thing for months and getting nowhere.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

i dont know what u said to gmac, but i have never had any trouble with them whatsoever. They have never asked me for reciepts, who made the conversion, etc.. only year of conversion, and vin number of chassis. Just don't call them up and tell them you have a few tools and are going to start a bus conversion... or get a different sales person.. after all, its a sales person paid on comission that is handling your calls..at least it was the way it worked when i worked for an ins company, they do want to sell you insurance.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: P35
Engine: 6.2l diesel

I just got insurance quotes from progressive and gmac. I went thru Oregon AAA, who sell policies for both companies, I told the agent that I just bought a 1990 short school bus, and I was converting it into an RV. The agent took down the vehicle info, year, make, model and vin# and called me back with the hour with quotes from both companies. Gmac only offers collision at $290 per year and Progressive offers collision and comprehensive coverage for $380. I have heard bad things about progressive, and good things about gmac, but I really would like comprehensive coverage, especially if it is only an extra $90 per year.
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

I won't use Progressive because they have cheaped out on collision work. I do collision work, and don't like their quibbling...That said, i use gmac for myself, and have used it for my coaches probably for 25 years.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: P35
Engine: 6.2l diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49
I won't use Progressive because they have cheaped out on collision work. I do collision work, and don't like their quibbling...That said, i use gmac for myself, and have used it for my coaches probably for 25 years.
I signed on with GMAC today. 6 months for $139. Not bad. Now I can get the registration changed to an RV, and start to drive around without worrying about the cops.
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #10

I found a website that can help you easily compare auto insurance quotes. It has connections to 6 of the major insurers and some smaller local companies as well. Check it out when you get a chance because they might be able to help.
AMKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:38 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

yeah... it takes at least 10 min to enter your vin numbers, etc online here in oregon...
new mexico is much better as the aliens in rosewell do it for ya...
Old 07-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: P30
Engine: Chev 350 gas-replacement

I just got insurance today from GMAC, called the 1-888 number yesterday, spoke with a rep, he called back today to get the VIN, then called back again to process the payment and email my insurance card. Very reasonable rates ($125 for 6 months, would have been better yet if I didn't have a ticket on my record!) and good service.

Now for the DMV next week....not looking forward to this after the hassle I had getting a trip permit.

I'd say to call GMAC back and give it another try.

Is your bus already converted? I wonder if that's the problem--I just told the rep that I got the bus a couple of weeks ago, there were only 2 seats left in it, he asked how much it cost, what I intended to use it for, and got the process started.
Tool Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #13

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Corsair
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: Cat 3208

I am a brand new bus owner (YEAH) and I am looking to get insured and All-State turned me down, and Progressive quoted $150/yr for "Bodily Injury Property Damage" and $415 for "Comprehensive". I have yet to looking into GMAC, but I have a few basic questions.
My bus is custom built and has a woodstove and a home crafted (but solid and safe) solar system. I doubt any company, if they knew about the stove or electrical set up, would insure it. If I had comprehensive coverage and I ever needed to cash in on my insurance (say . . . bus damage of some sort) would they want to inspect the bus and potentially see the woodstove and electrical and attempt to void my coverage? If that were the case, there would be no point in getting comprehensive coverage, and I should try to save a few hundred bucks annually by going for the bare basic $150/yr purely for the purpose of legality so i can move the bus now and then.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this. .. .
Also, I saw a comment about having the DMV inspect it. Are you sure they will expect/require this(?), cause I have a feeling they might not want to register it as an RV if they were to see it (it does look very bussy, not like an RV). Trying to think through this thoroughly so there are as few hiccups as possible while i go through all this rigamarole of getting this thing legal.
Any advice is very helpful!!
Thanks,
TYler
tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

you need to post what state you are in, as not all of them require dmv or smog inspections...
Old 09-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #15

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Corsair
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: Cat 3208

I'm in Oregon.
tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

For insurance call gmac and tell them you have a whatever year the bus was converted bus conversion, and give them the vin number. they will figure out the cost.
they will also look up the vin and match it with the mfr.
as far as oregon dmv inspections, i have converted 3 busses in oregon, and never had one inspected, except the vin number of one that came from misssouri so that the vin number matched the title. All you do if the bus is already registered in oregon is to go to the dmv and tell them you want bus changed from a commercial school bus to an rv. all the person at the counter will do is ask you the bus length, so that they can properly add the amount for the license, as it goes by length. they are not interested in what is inside, but to be legal it has to have the minimum for an RV which you already have.

I have not added my solar panels yet, but my wood stove works very well.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:16 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
Insurance in Oregon

I'm in Western Oregon and I have a possible deal on a recently retired school bus coming up. I've heard scary things about insurance. A web search turned up this forum so I thought I should join.

Since finding this forum I found a webpage that says Progressive no longer insures school bus conversions.

https://www.progressive.com/rv/bus-c...ssa-insurance/

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about the current situation with insuring school bus conversions in Oregon?

Thanks
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:37 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I insured my last bus through Miller Insurance in Lake Oswego. Not sure if they are still a player but it may be worth a shot.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Thanks, I am quite a way from Lake Oswego, but it's good to know it's still possible to insure a school bus conversion in this state.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:58 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Insurance in Oregon

Well I've answered my own question from other threads on this forum and some more searching on the web.

I can see there are several potential methods for getting insurance, so I have decided to go ahead and get that bus.

This looks like a great forum with lots of useful info, and I am sure I will be back.