Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
New Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: St Albert, Alberta
Posts: 3
Year: 1984
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: MC9
Engine: 8V71
Rated Cap: 53
Insurance/ license Alberta Canada

I was planning on a 93 Bluebird but found a 84 MCI MC9 8v71 3 axle for my off grid conversion. It is in Seattle, WA, I will fly down and drive it home. I am told that I can drive it with my class five and my air Q endorsement and do not need to upgrade to a class 3 since it will be personal use RV. I have also been told I need a class three no matter what because it has three axles. I believe if I can find insurance to cover it as RV that if I get pulled over I would be fine, even though all the seats will still be in until I get it home. Without the RV insurance it would probably depend on the mood of the officer if I am allowed to drive on. My current insurance covers transport of a purchased vehicle but it is for my pick up not a RV.

Anyone with experience in Alberta?

adamhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
Bus Geek
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Stony Plain Alberta Canada
Posts: 2,939
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Insurance/ licence Alberta Canada

Go talk to the DMV.

It is to my understanding you will need the class three only till you remove the commercial registration. After you register it as privet, you only need a class 5 as long as you have under 10 passengers.

Please update this thread on your journey. I would love to know how the border crossing, ect all works out.

"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
New Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: St Albert, Alberta
Posts: 3
Year: 1984
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: MC9
Engine: 8V71
Rated Cap: 53
Re: Insurance/ licence Alberta Canada

I have an Alberta license and the regulation states three axles for a recreational vehicle with a class 5 is fine. I did speak with someone at the Registry, our DMV, and they said because the bus would be used for personal use only I would be legal to drive it. I am still concerned at how an officer will interpret it. I can't register it until I insure it but I am still trying to find someone to insure it as a RV. So far everyone wants the conversion complete in order to insure as RV/motorhome. I could get commercial insurance but it is expensive and then I would have to register it as commercial bus. Then I would have to have a class three to drive it.

The Plan:
My current auto insurance will cover for transport of the bus while I am driving, and I will get temp tags from the seller in Washington. The border should be set up and should not be an issue. Once I get it here they require an out of country and out of province inspection. As long as those go well it will be in the system and I can park it and then get the insurance and registration once the conversion is complete. I can also keep looking into other options for coverage during the conversion. That is the plan for now.

I will go ahead and get my class 3 this summer if I can free up some time anyway. I will keep making calls and searching for more options and am waiting for some return calls also from potential insurers.
adamhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #4
Bus Nut
Hank's P-O-S's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MB
Posts: 263
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Re: Insurance/ license Alberta Canada

In MB there is no maximum GVW on RV's. I found out this by chance when I went to take the written part of the class 3, didn't even need an air endorsement as I found a bus with hydrolic breaks. The only thing that will get me is that if I tow a trailer, that will still be limited to 4050kg beceause of my class 5 licence.
"...Baler twine tie downs goin' down the road
On two bald tires and an oversize load..."
Hank's P-O-S is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
School Bus Conversion Project for Sale CALGARY ALBERTA CAN. MyFirstBus Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap 6 08-08-2015 03:52 PM
How to get insurance in Alberta zahra Titles, Insurance, Registration and Money Matters 7 04-16-2014 01:02 AM
Insurance for 6 months US and 6 months CANADA Letsbenomads Titles, Insurance, Registration and Money Matters 23 02-20-2014 07:46 PM
Started Project for Sale Calgary Alberta MyFirstBus Skoolie Conversion Projects 0 01-12-2012 01:09 AM
CDL Drivers License mfrederick Titles, Insurance, Registration and Money Matters 5 09-11-2009 04:29 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.