Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2018, 08:33 PM   #1

Insurance needed for our Skoolie conversion

My husband and I successfully completed the our school bus conversion. It has temporary tags and we live in Maryland. We are looking for insurance but have not had any luck with coverage so far. We tried AIS, Progressive, National General, USAA, and one private insurer. We only need liability only. What does everyone else have for coverage for a school bus conversion to RV?
Thank you

Beil's on the Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Find an agent in your state ideally with relevant experience.

Sweetening the deal by switching over other policies can help motivate them.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
Get a commercial policy for personal use from Progressive. That’s what I have. Liability is about $550 per year.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 8.3 L Cummins, MD 3060 Trans
Rated Cap: 50
Geico Commercial?

I bought my bus in OR. The company from whom I bought it sells a lot of them. The owner suggested Geico commercial as the least expensive alternative. He said to tell them it’s for personal use for pleasure only (for example) to take the kids to the lake once in awhile. Any thoughts?
Old 11-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Same issue obtaining insurance

I am having the same issue regarding coverage. I called Geico and they said no coverage unless it is professional conversion. Btw, I am also an existing customer.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

The dealer advised me not to tell the insurance company it was a conversion. Not sure how that would impact claims down the road.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker Pilot View Post
The dealer advised me not to tell the insurance company it was a conversion. Not sure how that would impact claims down the road.
Failing to volunteer information is one thing.

However, if you willfully provide face information to obtain a policy you could have claims denied.

Be careful....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I would never give false information. It’s not in my DNA. May I ask what insurance company/agent you used?

Thanks!

James
Old 11-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
its interesting... my guess is progressivei has been getting a lot more calls for converted skoolies lately.. my first bus back in april of 2016. no questions asked.. they insure it... it has an RV title but still has a lot of its seats and still looks fully like a bus.. no permanent beds etc.. my second bus.. they asked "is this a bus? will it stay a bus?" my 3rd bus this summer they ask "this is a bus not to be converted to an RV correct? how many seats does it have? " in my case no biggie because all my busses are staying busses.. but buyer beware for havingf progressive and putting a full conversion in.. I dont think a mini frig and an air mattress on the floor would cause an issue but my guess is they would deny coverage in an accident if it was found your bus was converted fully..

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker Pilot View Post
I would never give false information. It’s not in my DNA. May I ask what insurance company/agent you used?

Thanks!

James
I have coverage through State Farm. I have insured three buses through State Farm with good success.

Some others here have tried State Farm in other states and not had as much success.

Insurance regulations and available products vary by state. My experience is limited to WA, OR and AZ.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #11
Bus Geek

I see that you are in Oregon.

Before I went to State Farm I used Miller Insurance in Lk. Oswego, OR. That was quite a few years ago.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks! I live in OR, so I’ll look into them. I put in s request for a quote with Geico and Progressive so far. Progressive’s web site seemed more user friendly and relevant, and I got a preliminary quote right away. They actually had a “bus” category. Geico did not.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:37 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Rated Cap: 84lug
I hate that so many are having trouble in other states!!! Move to TN or GA and let me help you!! lol
Old 11-20-2018, 06:05 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Rated Cap: 16
I currently have a for-personal-use commercial policy on my BUS, no seats. It's about $550 per year for liability.

I didn't remember the details of what they asked, so I ran through the online quote process again. There were no questions as to the nature of the bus, other than seats/no seats and if it had a wheelchair lift.

The quote came back good and there were no issues. Again, it didn't ask about conversion, and I answered all questions truthfully.

There is hope...
Old 11-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #15
Bus Geek

People, please stop calling the insurance companies directly?

You need a local (certainly in-state) **agent** that specializes (or at least has experience with) owner-conversions.

Their mission is to advise you on how to proceed, review your detailed build documentation and receipts, inspect & take pictures, then shop it around among the suitable underwriters and come back to you to review your options.

Ideally find the agent and discuss these issues **before** starting the conversion. Really ideally, before you buy the bus.

Finally, if your legal domicile state makes things too tough, consider registering "garaging" the vehicle in a friendlier state, or even legally moving your domicile status (not necessarily moving physically).
Old 11-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
I live in NC.....mine is insured as "commercial vehicle for private use" with Progressive Commercial. I couldn't do it online, had to call the 800 number. Took about 20 minutes to answer all her questions, got liability only for $207 / yr.

I doubt that titling it as an RV would make my rate any lower, and I'll never opt for comprehensive coverage, so I'll just stay with what I have until I'm told I can't.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:37 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Yes sorry, my comments were **not** for those wanting just basic cover, that should be pretty easy.

Some try to get comprehensive based on a negotiated agreed value, which is most difficult.

In between, is well, in between.

Key takeaway is the variability from one state to the next. I don't know why that is, doubt it's regulation compliance, I think more likely each state gets its own internal actuarial / underwriters and sales departments within each insurance corp?
Old 11-20-2018, 07:46 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes sorry, my comments were **not** for those wanting just basic cover, that should be pretty easy.
Oooops.....didn't mean to imply that I was responding specifically to your post.....mine was just a general "passing-along-of-experience" post.

My bad.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote