Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2017, 05:48 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: E450 Ferd
Engine: 6.0L Diesel
Rated Cap: 20 window lickin Jeffies
Insurance thru AIS dirt cheap!

Thats right, scored a liability policy thru AIS insurance today for $125/year. Called the guy, explained I was converting a Ford van-based short bus to an RV, explained what I was doing and explained that it would see very limited on-road use. Played up that it's just a Ford van like they use for LOTS of the Class-C's out there...and only as big as a small one. Gave them the VIN and they wrote the policy based on that. I don't even have WA plates on the thing yet...and they still insured it.

Anyway, this was painless and dirt cheap, so I thought I'd share the info. YMMV. Here's the guy I talked to:

Sean Eldrige
AIS Sales Representative
800-319-0424 Ext. 78709

Goatherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Good score. That is cheap. I thought mine was pretty cheap at $400.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:47 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Chevy G3500
Engine: 5.7 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatherder View Post
Thats right, scored a liability policy thru AIS insurance today for $125/year. Called the guy, explained I was converting a Ford van-based short bus to an RV, explained what I was doing and explained that it would see very limited on-road use. Played up that it's just a Ford van like they use for LOTS of the Class-C's out there...and only as big as a small one. Gave them the VIN and they wrote the policy based on that. I don't even have WA plates on the thing yet...and they still insured it.

Anyway, this was painless and dirt cheap, so I thought I'd share the info. YMMV. Here's the guy I talked to:

Sean Eldrige
AIS Sales Representative
800-319-0424 Ext. 78709
I just called them and they said no way on a 2000 Chevy cutaway?
Flhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
$839 for 6 months on an 84 pax. One speeding ticket and one stop sign ignored in the past 3 years.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:51 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Dude, $839 for six months? I hope there's more than the bus on that policy. I just reenlisted with my second year on Progressive's commercial policy at $334 for a year. The first year was about $400. It is just a liability policy.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:11 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Dude, $839 for six months? I hope there's more than the bus on that policy. I just reenlisted with my second year on Progressive's commercial policy at $334 for a year. The first year was about $400. It is just a liability policy.
Nope just bus and just liability.

Called Progressive a month ago for a quote. $900 for 6 months. Ok expensive as hell but whatever. At the end of the call I asked if they do transit policies. Now I have a bus and call them back. Somewhere I mentioned RV. They won't insure it. Call back for a different operator. They record and keep notes. They won't insure it even tho I had a quote before. Aholes!!

Call the AIS number, they'll insure it. They emailed the docs to me. Progressive is the underwriter. Even has their logo on it.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:20 PM   #7
Bus Geek

They "recommend" a $300,000 liability policy so I'm guessing that isn't the lowest policy. I've got the policy to get home with. I'll see about changing it later.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:02 AM   #8

Year: 1986
Chassis: C30
Engine: Chevy 350
Quote:

Sean Eldrige
AIS Sales Representative
800-319-0424 Ext. 78709

daaaaaang I've definitely got to call your guy...
rc3105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:12 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
$839 for 6 months on an 84 pax. One speeding ticket and one stop sign ignored in the past 3 years.
I have a decent amount of coverage for 600 a year from Progressive.
No tickets in years.

Yeah, folks, NEVER tell Progressive anything about converting. They DO NOT INSURE CONVERTED SCHOOL BUSES.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:50 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
when i started with state farm - liability only was $45/ year. my mopeds cost $80/ year. 3 years ago i bumped up to comprehensive and collision and now that just over $1k a year with a $2000 deductible
Old 04-10-2017, 08:09 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Yeah, folks, NEVER tell Progressive anything about converting. They DO NOT INSURE CONVERTED SCHOOL BUSES.
That's not entirely true. They insure buses. They insure RVs. They do NOT insure buses BEING converted.

After calling them 3 or 4 times and dealing with their "recordings", they refused to insure it. Called the AIS people and they insured it. When they sent me the paperwork, it had Progressive at the top as the underwriter. I was more than half tempted to call back and cancel it.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Maybe through a middleman, but there's clear legal terminology on Progressive's site about converted school buses.
You sir have found a loophole.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Maybe through a middleman, but there's clear legal terminology on Progressive's site about converted school buses.
You sir have found a loophole.
I haven't seen your terminology but in speaking directly with the Progressive agents, they sounded like they were fine as long as it was titled as an RV. It's the middle ground they didn't like.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:55 AM   #14

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Mid-Bus
Engine: 6.6L Duramax Diesel
Quote:

Sean Eldrige
AIS Sales Representative
800-319-0424 Ext. 78709
I just called AIS to ask them about liability coverage on a pre-conversion bus and they said they don't do that anymore. I asked for clarification because the website said that they did but he informed me that it applied to buses 38 ft or longer. Mine is only 22 ft. He said what I was wanting to insure was a school bus but they would only do it once it had been fully converted (aka sleeping quarters, kitchen, bathroom, running water with fresh and grey water tanks). I was under the impression that I could get coverage during the transition period but I guess I was mistaken. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
AndrewKingPharmD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:27 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewKingPharmD View Post
I just called AIS to ask them about liability coverage on a pre-conversion bus and they said they don't do that anymore. I asked for clarification because the website said that they did but he informed me that it applied to buses 38 ft or longer. Mine is only 22 ft. He said what I was wanting to insure was a school bus but they would only do it once it had been fully converted (aka sleeping quarters, kitchen, bathroom, running water with fresh and grey water tanks). I was under the impression that I could get coverage during the transition period but I guess I was mistaken. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Mine is 40 ft so I guess I was good to go.

MD requires 4 of the following to make it Permanent living facilities: cooking (throw a prtable grill on the flr), a potable water supply including faucet/sink (5 gallon igloo with a bowl sitting under it), Fridge or ice box (buy an apartment fridge at the next garage sale, self contained toilet (5 gallon bucket with a seat bolted to it), heat or AC (it came with heat), electric supply (came with a 12 volt system), LP gas supply (change that grill to a gas grill).

or,,,

"Been completely converted from a schol vehicle, including teh removal of all alternately flashing lights and a paint color other than National School Bus Yellow."

That is the check mark I have filled in. Sign it, take it to DMV and done. There's no inspection to make sure you've done any of the above. "Under penatly of perjury" if that scares you at all. Doesn't me.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:29 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Mine is 40 ft so I guess I was good to go.

MD requires 4 of the following to make it Permanent living facilities: cooking (throw a prtable grill on the flr), a potable water supply including faucet/sink (5 gallon igloo with a bowl sitting under it), Fridge or ice box (buy an apartment fridge at the next garage sale, self contained toilet (5 gallon bucket with a seat bolted to it), heat or AC (it came with heat), electric supply (came with a 12 volt system), LP gas supply (change that grill to a gas grill).

or,,,

"Been completely converted from a schol vehicle, including teh removal of all alternately flashing lights and a paint color other than National School Bus Yellow."

That is the check mark I have filled in. Sign it, take it to DMV and done. There's no inspection to make sure you've done any of the above. "Under penatly of perjury" if that scares you at all. Doesn't me.
Man, that is good news! Recent first-person experience in my home state says it's easy peasy. Did you go to a branch office, or the mother ship in Glen Burnout?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Different state, but I have the best luck going to smaller satellite cities. Don't volunteer information at the DMV. Just crack jokes and keep them off balance.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: E450 Ferd
Engine: 6.0L Diesel
Rated Cap: 20 window lickin Jeffies
Quote:
Nope just bus and just liability.

Called Progressive a month ago for a quote. $900 for 6 months. Ok expensive as hell but whatever. At the end of the call I asked if they do transit policies. Now I have a bus and call them back. Somewhere I mentioned RV. They won't insure it. Call back for a different operator. They record and keep notes. They won't insure it even tho I had a quote before. Aholes!!

Call the AIS number, they'll insure it. They emailed the docs to me. Progressive is the underwriter. Even has their logo on it.
^^^THIS^^^

Did the exact same thing...with the same result. Have docs and ID cards in hand, paid the $125 and the deal is done for a year. I dunno how or why...and at $125/year I could care less.
Goatherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Man, that is good news! Recent first-person experience in my home state says it's easy peasy. Did you go to a branch office, or the mother ship in Glen Burnout?
Essex is a full service branch. Also has a nice prison feel to it. That's where I go to get abused.

The lady that checks all the paperwork and hands out the numbers gave me a scare when looking at the Multipurpose form. She was thinking it needed to be notarized. She ran off with it and asked someone else. Came back and said I was good to go without it being notarized.

No one asked for a Bill of Sale but I attached it anyway. I had a signed letter by the school which they never asked for either. On the back of the title is the sale price. LIE!!!!! It has to be above $625 (as of 6 yrs ago???). You bought the bus for $750 just to be safe. The ONLY thing you get for being honest is a 5% sales tax. I didn't buy the bus in MD. What has MD done for me? Register my bus. Fine, charge me for registration. Oh wait, they did in addition to the sales tax. If I'm paying anyone for the "privilege" of buying something, it should be WV.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VR-095 Multipurpose Vehicle.pdf (131.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf VR-181 Bill of Sale.pdf (337.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Different state, but I have the best luck going to smaller satellite cities. Don't volunteer information at the DMV. Just crack jokes and keep them off balance.
This. Keep talking at them.