Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Wayne Lifeguard
Chassis: Navistar International
Engine: 7.3 Power Stroker Diesel
Rated Cap: 24
Insurance to Drive It Home

Hello,

Perhaps this has been answered before, but I can't find it. If you buy a bus at a dealer and need to drive it home, how do you licence, title, and insure the bus for this move? When purchased for example it is titled as a bus (presumably). Here in PA there are a number of conversion steps that must be taken to convert it to a motor home and get it titled as a motor home. I see that GMAC and some others "might" insure a converted school bus changed into an RV and titled as such. But I can't convert it until I get it home. So what are you supposed to do when driving it from the purchase location to your home?

Ed Frank

edfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Insurance to Drive It Home

We simply got in it and drove. No tag, signed over title, bill of sale and no insurance. Stayed on back roads... and I do mean back roads... single lane, gravel roads that maybe 10 folks all total lived on. then we loaded it up and drove it from NC to NM, towing my Jeep (1600 miles). The bus had no tag, signed over title, bill of sale and no insurance. No questions. Either Stacey or I was right behind David (driving the bus) pretty much the whole way out.

We also drove the Eagle from Pumpkintown , SC to Franklin, NC (with an overnight stop in Westminster, SC)... 90 miles, bill of sale, no title, no tags, no insurance. It was left in SC overnight because the air powered wipers stopped working. Of course it rained.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

i know up here you can get a temp permit from the dmv. no passengers, no commercial use, etc. just go point a to b.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Hello,

I am not really worried about the the licence/title. I can get a temp tag for about $20 that will let me drive it home, I am just worried about insurance. In PA that can be a big fine and having your vehicle towed away.

Ed
Old 11-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65

I bought mine from a dealer here in Iowa, I checked and we have a 30 days from bill of sale to get it liscenced and the bill of sale is good to get you home. As far as insurance it seemed a little gray. I have Farm Bureau on my home and vechicles, I was always told by them, they had to insure me for the first 30days of purchase of a vechicle even if they didn't have a policy on it. I have yet to insure it, but they did give me a quote of $126/yr on a converted bus. However it has to be converted first before they insure it as a RV. Which he wants pictures on file when its done. I just drove home very carefully and tried to obey all laws
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

4 years ago I used Progressive via the Web for my first wild ride home. Don't know if it would work today, don't know if it would have worked if I wrecked. Had the insurance card though.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Progressive specifically excludes non-professional conversions of School Buses as these vehicles are not acceptible.

Perhaps I could get GMAC coverage as an RV then rush to get it converted and titled as an RV before the temp tags expire?

Ed
Old 11-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65

I told Progressive that it was a GMC C60 truck, they let me get insurance over the phone...then promptly canceled me a couple days later. I just wanted the card in case I was stopped. If you are getting something on a GM or Ford chassis, a white lie may get you by to get the card. They'll cut you off of course, but not before printing out the proof of insurance card!
NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote