Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Insurance trick? Sounds too good to be true

Spoke to a gentleman yesterday selling a converted shortie, and the topic of conversation meandered to insurance. He told me he had insurance with Geico, and I balked at his answer having heard most insurance companies didn't cover conversions.

According to him, what he did was look up the chassis for the bus and had it insured under that make and model. No need for inspection or RV title. A bit sneaky, perhaps dishonest, but one could argue it's a grey area. Has anyone else heard of this?

phirewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Nope, never heard of that. So no commercial policy? The chassie make and model would still come up as a medium duty truck.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Yep, just a normal auto policy according to him.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Did that happen to be a short bus? Possibly a cutaway van that could legitimately be called a van?

It's not that insurance companies don't occasionally go the easy route. It's just not common.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:22 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Tried it, no Blue Bird, no International.......
Old 12-16-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Did that happen to be a short bus? Possibly a cutaway van that could legitimately be called a van?

It's not that insurance companies don't occasionally go the easy route. It's just not common.
Yes, a Chevy short bus. I'm sure that wouldn't work for a normal length bus.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #7
Bus Geek

That's why it sounds so odd to those of us with full size buses.

The insurance agent plugs in the VIN# and says "It's a bus?" Translate that to "medium duty truck" and insurance options become limited.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Insurance

I might be experiancing what your describing I called my insurance guy the other day sent him the Vin and he switched my current auto policy over to the t444e but I also got a motorhome policy I have no idea I thought it would be a huge hastle here in new Jersey but no he switched it right over I have Plymouth rock
Njlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Yeah, if it's a van chassis short bus then the VIN will simply indicate that it's a van. Those ones are easy to insure unless you freak the insurer out with information overload. It is a van with body modification.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 72
Fun

Just an FYI

It is all fun and games to trick a company to get a policy, just wait until you get in a wreck and the adjuster sees you lied to get a policy, the policy will be void and the other driver will easily win his lawsuit for damages.
bubb, the real one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #11

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: 8.3L ISC Cummins
Rated Cap: 90 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb, the real one View Post
Just an FYI

It is all fun and games to trick a company to get a policy, just wait until you get in a wreck and the adjuster sees you lied
So True!

Just last week I purchased a full size school bus so I've been shopping for insurance for the drive home. I have Wawanesa for home and personal auto insurance, I didn't even bother calling them because I know they will not come near insuring a school bus. I called Progressive, explained exactly what the bus is and what my plans are with it. They had no issues collecting my money for a full coverage $750K policy.

I wouldn't suggest misleading your insurance company. If you hurt someone in an accident and your insurance doesn't cover the claim, not only would you be on the hook for the $$$, you could cause major financial & medical hardships for someone else.

Just my 2cents
Penaltybox999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:58 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

As far as I'm aware they dont put the t444e in small busses my bus is indeed a full size international I didn't have to fool or trIck anyone as it's insured under the Vin number
I simply suggest using your current or getting an insurance agent and let them figure it out I just called my guy he took my pick up off and adied the bus a day later I got the motor home insurance policy through Plymouth rock in my email wish you guys luck. I guess it more or less depend's on the agent and who they represent my guy here on NJ has many insurance providers and he has been abe to help me in many different circumstances
And made the insurance as simple as a text
Old 03-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njlou View Post
As far as I'm aware they dont put the t444e in small busses my bus is indeed a full size international I didn't have to fool or trIck anyone as it's insured under the Vin number
I simply suggest using your current or getting an insurance agent and let them figure it out I just called my guy he took my pick up off and adied the bus a day later I got the motor home insurance policy through Plymouth rock in my email wish you guys luck. I guess it more or less depend's on the agent and who they represent my guy here on NJ has many insurance providers and he has been abe to help me in many different circumstances
And made the insurance as simple as a text
Hey, I'm a skoolie owner in NJ, too. Would you mind giving me the name of your agent so when I'm ready to insure I can go to someone who knows the deal? Much appreciated.
weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

chris@bourniasagency.com

@we boughta bus his name is Chris email him here I had my truck insured through him and he switched it over to the bus
Old 05-19-2018, 05:23 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Yea my vin comes back as a 2000 Ford e-450 truck cut-away chassis /passenger van. So yea I didn’t lie I just let him form his own conclusion.
Lolo1 is offline   Reply With Quote