Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Insurance woes and 200% of Nothing

Some thoughts on insurance companies turning us down:

Go to AIS Insurance's web page on bus conversion coverage and you will find the following: "Very few insurance companies will insure this type of vehicle [converted school buses]. The main reason cited for this is the axle of a school bus is generally a narrower axle than that of a regular bus. Thus, when the additional weight of the conversion is added, it can result in a top-heavy vehicle, which is more susceptible to rollover accidents..."

So they'll insure these, but not school buses, which stay together, albeit rumpled, in roll-overs. Sounds pretty ass-backward to me. Also, my 1976 Winnie (like most other RVs of its era) has a much-shorter wheelbase and narrower front/rear tracks than typical school buses. And I'm sure it'd blow over more easily in a crosswind. Insurance risk assessors act like Sir Isaac Newton is either a cookie or variety of apple.

I'm reminded of the oft-quoted maxim, "Figures don't lie, but liars do figure," and also A.K. Dewdney's book, 200% of Nothing: From Percentage Pumping to Irrational Ratios. Dr. Dewdney doesn't mention skoolies, but he does discuss several instances of misunderstood probabilities. The issue also brings back memories of when I was in my early 20s and the annual cost of my young-bachelor-therefore-UR-irresponsible policy on my Dodge Aries "K" station wagon was almost half the value of the car. Never mind that my only claim was for a cracked windshield; one minor traffic ticket in tens of thousands of miles.

Do any insurance companies bother to examine S&S RVs before issuing policies on 'em? Allstate didn't bat an eye when I went in for coverage on mine.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
Bus Geek

wow, I would have to put a S&S on top of my bus to make it top heavy
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Don't know where the CG is on our BB but having owned several Rvs I can say the BB handles like a Honda Civic, the Rvs like an ocean liner.... Lumbering beast comes to mind.
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:19 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by dond View Post
Don't know where the CG is on our BB but having owned several Rvs I can say the BB handles like a Honda Civic, the Rvs like an ocean liner.... Lumbering beast comes to mind.
Barely noticed crosswinds while driving a BB on my job - the kinds of winds that make driving the Winnie a white-knuckle experience.