Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford E-450
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Exclamation Insurance Woes in California; Anyone insured by State Farm?

Hi All,

We're having a heck of a time getting our newly purchased bus insured. We are State Farm customers with 3 other policies but they are struggling to justify this with the underwriters.

Is anyone currently insured by State Farm? If so, would you please be so kind as to PM your policy number? My rep said that if they have a different SF policy to compare with that it should be easy-peasy to get us covered, but problem is I don't (yet) know anyone who is.

For what it's worth, we have a 23' converted cutaway with the Ford E450 van body. The bus itself is currently registered as a personal automobile and the registration and everything went through fine. The bus does have a bed, but does not have "hard" plumbing or cooking (yet). We have 2 6-gallon potable tanks and a grey tank, powered by a USB water pump which includes a sink basin. For a cooktop, we use a Coleman grill currently. The bus does have a bed. As for electricity, we are using a battery backup system with a solar panel, but the bus is not hard-wired for either plumbing or electrical.

It seems that we are in a limbo state with this vehicle given that it's not quite compatible with RV standards, nor is it a car.

We would really appreciate some guidance if anyone can provide any. Plus would be a State Farm policy number we can reference.

Thanks in advance!

eyesunderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:38 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Start shopping for an agent with niche experience to shop it out to friendly companies.

Asking for the customer to track down cases to persuade the internal underwriters is **bogus**. total malarkey.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Start shopping for an agent with niche experience to shop it out to friendly companies.

Asking for the customer to track down cases to persuade the internal underwriters is **bogus**. total malarkey.
I totally agree, friend. I've been calling every agent in the area trying to find someone for over a month with no luck. Even independent reps can't seem to do anything for me and boy have I tried. Simply finding the Ford E450 model in any of these systems appears to be an exercise in futility.

We actually changed our rep within State Farm last week after our last one basically reamed us out for even inquiring and criticized us for the decision to go with a converted skoolie.

I do, however, see the logic in being able to compare policies with someone that the underwriters "allowed", which is what my current rep team is trying to do. I think it's also ridiculous, especially considering all the policies we have with them, but I do see the value in having an apples-to-apples comparison that would let one State Farm office simply "check the same boxes" as a different policy that was permitted.

In any case, thank you for the reply. I do appreciate (and agree with) your perspective.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:56 PM   #4
Bus Geek

I'm pretty sure State Farm will be a no go.

Start a new thread

"Skoolie friendly insurers / agents in California?"

yah never know.

Don't limit yourself to local either, and be ready to offer to switch your other policies over to sweeten the deal.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:27 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I have State Farm in Indiana. Indiana is probably the key. Liability only.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:47 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
As I mentioned in the PM, just because State Farm is easy to acquire where I live, it may not be as easy where others live, especially if it's Ca.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Yes every state is different, as if separate companies
Old 10-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Yes every state is different, as if separate companies
Very much so.

I have been fortunate. I have insured three buses with State Farm. Both commercial for personal and RV. Liability and full coverage.

To get the RV coverage I had to send pictures to the underwriter for approval. My agent hinted that they will decline to cover "rustic" conversions.

I am a big fan of State Farm. Over 18 years they have taken very good care of me. I do hate to put that check in the mail but at least I know that they have my back.

Good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I'm pretty sure State Farm will be a no go.

Start a new thread

"Skoolie friendly insurers / agents in California?"

yah never know.

Don't limit yourself to local either, and be ready to offer to switch your other policies over to sweeten the deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I have State Farm in Indiana. Indiana is probably the key. Liability only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Very much so.

I have been fortunate. I have insured three buses with State Farm. Both commercial for personal and RV. Liability and full coverage.

To get the RV coverage I had to send pictures to the underwriter for approval. My agent hinted that they will decline to cover "rustic" conversions.

I am a big fan of State Farm. Over 18 years they have taken very good care of me. I do hate to put that check in the mail but at least I know that they have my back.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
As I mentioned in the PM, just because State Farm is easy to acquire where I live, it may not be as easy where others live, especially if it's Ca.
Thank you all. I really appreciate all the responses. Special thanks to o1marc who provided some additional valuable information.

State Farm in California was able to cover us for the time being for full coverage plus liability and can continue coverage as an RV provided that we demonstrate the addition of a bathroom capacity within the next year. That wasn't in the plans, but should be easy enough to put a composting toilet or portapotty-type somewhere that looks good for the photos.

It took a lot of phone calls with the State Farm team and their underwriters, but everything finally got squared away thanks to you all.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:45 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Yup, the insurance industry isn't wishy washy at all. Here's a good customer of State Farm, but is told they can't insure him. Well others have, why won't you? Ya well prove there are others. Okay, here's a Ga. policy. Okay, we'll write you a policy.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:09 PM   #11
Bus Geek

CYA rules in a bureaucracy