Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 34
Insured through Progressive as a "Heavy Personal Vehicle"

Just figured I'd share my insurance story.

So I have a 2001 International Half Bus, hydraulic brakes with a GVWR of 25,500lbs. (just under the magic number)

In New York, an RV needs to have certain amenities such as power, heat, a cooking surface etc. My bus is a work in progress, and I'm not likely to have any of those things for a little while. However, in NY, a vehicle under 26K, with seating for less than 16, can be registered as a "suburban" so long as it has windows on the side in the rear, and can carry both passengers and cargo.

So, with this information, I decided to call up Progressive and explain my vehicle as it sits right now. I told them it is an old school bus, which I am planning to use as a tow vehicle/toy hauler. I didn't mention the fact that it will also one day be used as an RV, but they didn't ask. So long as it was under 26K, had most of the seats removed and was only for personal use, they were happy to write me a policy. I paid $770 for a full year of $100,000/$300,000 liability insurance.

SR2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That didn't include comprehensive and collision? I've got two vehicles on Nationwide for nearly the same amount per year at the same level, but with comprehensive and collision. But then I call my bus a van. If it has no seats in it the DMV agrees that it's a large van. Here in Oregon anything that is capable of carrying passengers is questioned heavily so I try to show them an empty bus, I mean van.
Generally speaking insurance is cheaper for an RV because they don't expect you to be using it all year. I've registered both as an RV and more often just as a van. RV registration is relatively expensive but the insurance is cheaper. Comparatively my van registration with insurance was only $4 different than RV registration and insurance. Six of one, half dozen of the other.
Legally a van can be searched while an RV is considered a home and requires the same process as required for searching a regular home without your consent. Other than the legal search requirements I don't see an advantage to being registered as an RV. At least part of the time I have nothing to hide.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2K View Post
Just figured I'd share my insurance story.

So I have a 2001 International Half Bus, hydraulic brakes with a GVWR of 25,500lbs. (just under the magic number)

In New York, an RV needs to have certain amenities such as power, heat, a cooking surface etc. My bus is a work in progress, and I'm not likely to have any of those things for a little while. However, in NY, a vehicle under 26K, with seating for less than 16, can be registered as a "suburban" so long as it has windows on the side in the rear, and can carry both passengers and cargo.

So, with this information, I decided to call up Progressive and explain my vehicle as it sits right now. I told them it is an old school bus, which I am planning to use as a tow vehicle/toy hauler. I didn't mention the fact that it will also one day be used as an RV, but they didn't ask. So long as it was under 26K, had most of the seats removed and was only for personal use, they were happy to write me a policy. I paid $770 for a full year of $100,000/$300,000 liability insurance.
i have progressive also, just got my renewal and its half what i paid the first year. down to 326 for the year, im a very happy man. its reg. a bus private use.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #4

Help

I am in Ny and i bought a 1999 Chevy mini school bus . I am having lots of trouble in order to find an ensurance company . Only progressibe but they want me to pay 4000 a year .
I think the problema ls the VIN number that appears school bus . Does any body knows a way to make this easy and cheap ?

Thanks!
jimorrison70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

You should be in a similar boat as I am. Did you call the auto division or the commercial division?
Old 04-15-2016, 12:39 PM   #6

I think so , because of your comments we are in the same .
No i dont call them , can you please tell me how did you do in order to Ger insurance ? You change the name on tittle first?
Thanks!
Old 04-15-2016, 12:42 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I got my insurance before registering it. It was titled as a school bus, I called the commercial division and told them what it was (retired school bus) and that I was going to be using it as a private toy hauler. They wrote me a policy for this vehicle for private use. I then went to the dmv and registered it as a van the next day.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:47 PM   #8

I call progressive yesterday telling them just the same history you tell them , and nothing .
I am uruguayan came to usa few days ago to cross all the country and now no one insurance the skoolie !
Old 04-15-2016, 12:48 PM   #9

I called the auto división and they said they could not do It that is has to be comercial . I am desespérate
Old 04-15-2016, 12:51 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

You need to call the commercial division, not auto.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #11

Ok i will do that again . Did they ask if you where going to move it and how much ? If the engine starts? Yesterday the ask me 200 quedtions and after 1 hour in the phone , 4000 Usd!
Old 04-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I told them it was mainly going to be within 150 miles of home (true) and that it was going to be mainly used on weekends. I also never said camper, I told them I was going to use it to move my bikes and tow a camper. Once I meet the definition of an rv I'll reinsure and retitle it.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:33 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Because of the insurance problems, and after a week and a half of unsuccessful searching for insurance online, I began receiving quotes in snail mail from the multiple quote insurance sites online. I had thought that process didn't work at all because I wasn't getting any quotes online at the time I applied. A week and a half to two weeks later I was receiving insurance quotes in the mail, all with the correct vin#s of my two vehicles. If you already have your car insured somewhere, be prepared to move it to the insurance company that will accept your bus/RV/van. I understand sometimes it's a requirement, meaning they don't like selling liability insurance on that big of a vehicle all by itself. Probably not a big enough profit margin considering the possible damage a bus could do in a collision.
I got to tell ya, I feel pretty safe driving my bus, I mean van.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:33 PM   #14

Ok thanks , just what i told to them . I dont understand why this is so complicated here . If any one has another idea on how to solve this ..

Thanks
Old 04-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #15

Robin can you please tell me which insurances call you ?
Old 04-15-2016, 01:50 PM   #16
Bus Geek

State Farm sent me the best quote in the mail. I got nothing from them online at the time I was looking for insurance.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:59 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2K View Post
I got my insurance before registering it. It was titled as a school bus, I called the commercial division and told them what it was (retired school bus) and that I was going to be using it as a private toy hauler. They wrote me a policy for this vehicle for private use. I then went to the dmv and registered it as a van the next day.
this is what I did.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:25 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Yeah, another Maxi-van.