Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2017, 02:14 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Here's a list of the ad velorem fees. Our bus originally cost $35,000 so we are in fee category 35 with a yearly registration fee of $165.

Look on your car registration slips and look for "Fee or weight category". The number there will be the rounded original cost of the vehicle.

Once you know the original sales price look on the list. the "3" line will be the current registration fee for a vehicle 3 years old or more.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/A...es_74801_7.pdf

Old 10-31-2017, 05:03 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veracozy View Post
Unfortunately we still haven't found insurance. This is incredibly frustrating by this point. Has anyone else had any luck? We wanted to get our rig on the road and travel by Thanksgiving but it's looking less and less likely the further down this insurance rabbit hole we go
Call Brad Budka , State Farm agent in White Lake. He was able to insure my bus, and my house too in Flint. Ask for Amber, tell her Carrie who has bus insurance told you. Business number is 248-887-6004. I finally got title as rv at Lapeer SOS.
Momoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:00 PM   #23

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Built Buses
Chassis: S-series 3700
Engine: 7.3Lidi Navistar
Carrie did you pay a lot to get the title for your bus? I live in Brighton, Michigan and I will be contacting Amber this week for insurance on it. I currently have state farm hopefully that will help.
rckinternational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:29 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
I really am not trying to come across as a smart ass, but damn, It may be time to find a new state to live in.
Phatman has a point.

I "moved" to Oregon back in the 90's because, at that time, it was MUCH cheaper and easier to register and insure a conversion in OR.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:57 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

I think a couple hundred bucks but I forget. Since they wanted a whole lot more at first, I was just glad to get it over with and get the title.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #26

Awesome!!! Thank you so much! I totally understand about just getting it over with.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckinternational View Post
Awesome!!! Thank you so much! I totally understand about just getting it over with.
Damn.....thats the exact line my 1st GF in high school said to her best friend.
Doug
Old 01-03-2018, 07:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defjr333 View Post
Damn.....thats the exact line my 1st GF in high school said to her best friend.
Doug
Hahaha oh Doug that was a good one

Carrie I spoke with Amber today and she was great to talk to and very helpful and she remembers working with you of course. Im so glad that things are looking good for my bus adventure and maybe a light at the end of the tunnel. only thing is since I already have insurance with state farm she has instructed me to try my agent first so she doesn't step on any toes taking business from someone else. I will be calling my agent tomorrow. If they deny me she will gladly help me out so she said please call her back if they won't help me.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 8.3 cummins
So I am curious as I have a "bus" title currently, in Michigan which is the best way to go commercial private bus or rv???
bman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Pros & cons seem to vary greatly by state so some local homework will be necessary. One issue seems to be cost of insurance since it has to be purchased in your home state. In some states, RV insurance is much cheaper but in others, different classifications are.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #31

Insurance quote

I'm new to this site. But in possible insurance avenues, National General was able to give me a quote. So it might be possible to go through them for your conversion.
Kat
Nuberbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:30 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Tango, where might you suggest finding this info like the DMV?? Insurance company?? I don't wanna throw up.a flag by asking the wrong question u know haha
bman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:48 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman91 View Post
Tango, where might you suggest finding this info like the DMV?? Insurance company?? I don't wanna throw up.a flag by asking the wrong question u know haha
DMV will answer any questions on registration. The only thing they will tell you about insurance is that you have to have to before operating it on the roads. Likewise with the insurance company. They will only know what is required by them to insure, likely they won't know what DMV wants for conversion specs.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #34
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoften View Post
Call Brad Budka , State Farm agent in White Lake. He was able to insure my bus, and my house too in Flint. Ask for Amber, tell her Carrie who has bus insurance told you. Business number is 248-887-6004. I finally got title as rv at Lapeer SOS.

So i sucessfully got my insurance policy no problemo through this referral. The title was actually very easy at kalamazoo SOS. Had receipts for a few things such as a stovetop and toilet. Signed a note saying i had an existing matress. That got me the title i just went in with confidence that it was a thing they do and was respectful. The insirance just requested pictures that the seats were removed. Thats it. Great referral Carrie! You should be getting a 10 dollar gift card from Amber
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:25 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
So i sucessfully got my insurance policy no problemo through this referral. The title was actually very easy at kalamazoo SOS. Had receipts for a few things such as a stovetop and toilet. Signed a note saying i had an existing matress. That got me the title i just went in with confidence that it was a thing they do and was respectful. The insirance just requested pictures that the seats were removed. Thats it. Great referral Carrie! You should be getting a 10 dollar gift card from Amber
You are welcome, Glad it worked!
Old 06-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #36

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Returning member

Hi everyone, I was a member here about 10 years ago when I got my Skoolie, back then I titled it as a non commercial bus (at the lapeer SoS) with insurance thru progressive, I just recieved a non-renewal notice, stating that they don't insure conversion busses as moterhome, and can't insure it commercially because it's being used as a motor home . They said they'be always done it this way and I must have been missed (wow! 10 years missed ? How ?) so I guess I'll be giving State Farm in White Lake a call

1998 Thomas MVP
Baggss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:26 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
I got liability only for ours at National General. Doing it online was cheaper than calling an actual human being. Current cost for 6 months is $317.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:55 AM   #38

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
I got liability only for ours at National General. Doing it online was cheaper than calling an actual human being. Current cost for 6 months is $317.
National doesn't seem to have that online option anymore.
Baggss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggss View Post
Hi everyone, I was a member here about 10 years ago when I got my Skoolie, back then I titled it as a non commercial bus (at the lapeer SoS) with insurance thru progressive, I just recieved a non-renewal notice, stating that they don't insure conversion busses as moterhome, and can't insure it commercially because it's being used as a motor home . They said they'be always done it this way and I must have been missed (wow! 10 years missed ? How ?) so I guess I'll be giving State Farm in White Lake a call

1998 Thomas MVP
Please ask for Amber, and tell her my name, Carrie Welch. Hopefully you can get insurance easily since she is familiar with bus conversions!
Old 06-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #40

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 30000
Think we can get the House/Senate to adapt the law to meet the new needs of the community?
krassos is offline   Reply With Quote