Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoften View Post
Please ask for Amber, and tell her my name, Carrie Welch. Hopefully you can get insurance easily since she is familiar with bus conversions!
Glad to have connected with some MI skoolies. I may need insurance soon as I think I'm going to look at a bus next week in Indiana. Thanks

Old 07-28-2018, 07:53 AM   #42

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 30000
Contacted Amber and got PL-PD insurance. She was fast and friendly. Was unlucky in that she was on vacation the day I contacted her. But she got back to me quickly despite that.
krassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:56 PM   #43

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 71 PASS.
I just bought a 2003 Bluebird and will need to do all the same stuff. So basically gut it and show proof of restroom, sleeping, and kitchen is what I'm gathering?
Philc237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #44

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 30000
In order to get it insured as a conversion, assuming that you need to move it at some point, the seats need to be removed. The agent will ask for pics of proof. Inside and outside.

In order to get it re-titled as an RV, You need to complete the conversion(bedroom, bathroom and kitchen), get it inspected and then apply for the title at the dmv. I went there first thing, they handed me a nice stack of forms to fill out to detail the work that I had done, and a contact sheet for some inspectors around the state. I don't know how much the inspection will cost.

PLPD insurance cost me 120 a month, but you can put it on hold when you put you bus/rv into storage.
krassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:50 PM   #45

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 71 PASS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Indiana is nice....
What's the process in Indiana? Im from michogan, but have debated on signing it over to my parents to make it easier.
Philc237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:56 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
I insured mine through National General online. Liability only runs us about $520/year for our 2000 shuttle bus. They didn't want to see pictures and it's listed as a conversion. The online price was a bit cheaper than calling Nat Gen direct.
I live in Farmington Hills and national general won't even do an online quote. I'm glad I'm moving out of Michigan in a few months because auto insurance is absolutely ridiculous here.
Za85ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoften View Post
Call Brad Budka , State Farm agent in White Lake. He was able to insure my bus, and my house too in Flint. Ask for Amber, tell her Carrie who has bus insurance told you. Business number is 248-887-6004. I finally got title as rv at Lapeer SOS.
Sorry for resurfacing an old thread... I'm in Michigan and have run into the same problems as many on here--it's difficult to find insurance. Anyone know if Amber is still working there? lol Or anyone have any other suggestions?
adamyadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:45 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Adam at National General insurance. (314) 493-7663
Old 09-14-2020, 09:12 PM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: International CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 77 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamyadventures View Post
Sorry for resurfacing an old thread... I'm in Michigan and have run into the same problems as many on here--it's difficult to find insurance. Anyone know if Amber is still working there? lol Or anyone have any other suggestions?
We live in Michigan and have our skoolie insured through Auto-Owners. Its on a "not to exceed" policy of $10,000. Basically, if I total the bus, the most I will get is $10,000 (which covers my expenses).
When I went to get insurance, my agent simply wanted to know what I thought the bus was worth... she would have taken any dollar amount... but obviously, the higher the amount the higher the premium.

Bottom line, I didn't have any trouble getting insurance on it. I had no trouble with registration, either. My only issue was getting the MSRP cost down. Since yearly plate fees are based on MSRP amounts, the higher the amount the higher the yearly fee. When I first went into the Secretary of State office, they had no trouble converting the title from bus to RV, but they wanted to put $145,000 has the MSRP value which would have been around $1,000 a year in plate fees. That was unacceptable! They based that number on a typical diesel motorhome for the same year of my bus. I told the lady that this was a school bus and it never even costed that much when the bus was new! She didn't get it. SO, I walked out with out plating it.

Then I called the main office in Lansing and talked with someone about the situation. After some back and forth, they told me that if I can get an appraisal from a Motorhome dealership, they would set the MSRP at whatever the appraisal came in at.
SO, I called up a local RV dealer who I knew. They simply asked me what number I wanted on the appraisal. I said $10,000.
So, now, my yearly plate fees are about $40! It was a little rigmarole, but in the end I'm super happy. I have insurance and I have cheap yearly fees.
MingDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:32 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MingDynasty View Post
We live in Michigan and have our skoolie insured through Auto-Owners. Its on a "not to exceed" policy of $10,000. Basically, if I total the bus, the most I will get is $10,000 (which covers my expenses).
When I went to get insurance, my agent simply wanted to know what I thought the bus was worth... she would have taken any dollar amount... but obviously, the higher the amount the higher the premium.

Bottom line, I didn't have any trouble getting insurance on it. I had no trouble with registration, either. My only issue was getting the MSRP cost down. Since yearly plate fees are based on MSRP amounts, the higher the amount the higher the yearly fee. When I first went into the Secretary of State office, they had no trouble converting the title from bus to RV, but they wanted to put $145,000 has the MSRP value which would have been around $1,000 a year in plate fees. That was unacceptable! They based that number on a typical diesel motorhome for the same year of my bus. I told the lady that this was a school bus and it never even costed that much when the bus was new! She didn't get it. SO, I walked out with out plating it.

Then I called the main office in Lansing and talked with someone about the situation. After some back and forth, they told me that if I can get an appraisal from a Motorhome dealership, they would set the MSRP at whatever the appraisal came in at.
SO, I called up a local RV dealer who I knew. They simply asked me what number I wanted on the appraisal. I said $10,000.
So, now, my yearly plate fees are about $40! It was a little rigmarole, but in the end I'm super happy. I have insurance and I have cheap yearly fees.
Ohh, this is super helpful, especially since I'm Lansing-based! Thank you to both of you who replied. I really appreciate it.

Trying to get everything organized before I jump all in! Thank you!
adamyadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:21 PM   #51

For all your pre and post conversion insurance needs call Steven at Bleeker insurance in Big Rapids Michigan. +12317962014 He was the only one that had no troubles with insuring it pre converted as a school bus. He also has dealt with insurance on conversions.
Makomike42 is offline   Reply With Quote