Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: cummins 5.9
letter from Missouri highway patrol on conversion requirements

Special construction/Recreational vehicles

To comply with 301.010 RSMo requiring permanently attached sleeping and eating facilities and 700.010 RSMo that refer to the american national standards institute(ANSI), known as the national fire protection association(NFPA), standard NFPA 1192 defining a recreational motor vehicle and a recreational vehicle, a special construction or conversion must have in addition to permanent eating and sleeping facilities four of the following systems installed. it is recommended the the following criteria be considered:

! Sleeping facilities will include an area of sufficient size to accommodate a person or persons to rest in a normal sleeping position. this requirement could be met by the installation of a mattress type bed, a recliner chair, or a couch.

2 Eating facilities will include a table of sufficient size to accommodate a person or persons for the purpose of eating. i will also include a bench type seat or chairs. the table will be attached to the unit by screws, bolts, or other methods to affix the table in a permanent manner.

3. the vehicle must contain permanently installed independent life support systems. The ANSI/NFPA standard (NFPA 1192) requires four of the following facilities: "cooking, refrigeration or ice box, self contained toilet, heating and air conditioning, or both, a portable water supply system including a faucet and sink.

A. Cooking facility - will include one or more items - stove microwave oven, standard oven, or convection oven, which is permanently installed and has adequate clearance as specified in the terms their listed. clearance spaces shall be framed in or guarded to prevent storage space within the clearance specified by its UL or manufacturers listing.

B. Refrigeration or icebox - will include a refrigeration unit or icebox which is permanently installed. The unit may be powered by electric, LP gas, or both.

C. Self-contained toilet - will include a toilet and waste collection system that is permanently installed.

D. Heating or air conditioning or both - will include standard recreational vehicle type roof or window mounted air conditioner unit that is permanently installed. the heating system shall be electric, LP gas, or both that is permanently installed and meet the terms of their UL or manufacturers listing.

E. A portable water system including a faucet and sink - will include a system to store water in a holding tank attached to a faucet and sink. it will also have a grey water holding tank.

4. Separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply system or liquefied petroleum (LP) gas supply or both. a 12v dc power inverter capable of powering the cooking facility, refrigeration, and/or the heating/air conditioning system that is permanently installed will be acceptable. an LP gas system used to supply the stove, oven, refrigerator, or heating will be acceptable.

5. Separate entrance on passenger side or rear.

6. fire extinguisher that meets at least a 2 A 10-b:c or greater.

7.At least one integral battery-operated smoke alarm shall be installed.

* 5th wheel plate must be removed
******TRUCK/TRACTORS CONVERTED TO RV ********* a separate box must be put on the back of the truck/tractor (cannot be just a regular sleeper that has been modified)

this is the letter i got i am just curious what your interpretation is to this????

ultrapac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Crazy.

Eating is one, sleeping is two out of seven, both required.

Then four out of #3 is required.

So the three out of the remaining four 4-7, are **in addition** required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrapac View Post

To comply with 301.010 RSMo requiring permanently attached sleeping and eating facilities and 700.010 RSMo that refer to the american national standards institute(ANSI), known as the national fire protection association(NFPA), standard NFPA 1192 defining a recreational motor vehicle and a recreational vehicle, a special construction or conversion must have in addition to permanent eating and sleeping facilities four of the following systems installed. it is recommended the the following criteria be considered:

! Sleeping facilities will include an area of sufficient size to accommodate a person or persons to rest in a normal sleeping position. this requirement could be met by the installation of a mattress type bed, a recliner chair, or a couch.

2 Eating facilities will include a table of sufficient size to accommodate a person or persons for the purpose of eating. i will also include a bench type seat or chairs. the table will be attached to the unit by screws, bolts, or other methods to affix the table in a permanent manner.

3. the vehicle must contain permanently installed independent life support systems. The ANSI/NFPA standard (NFPA 1192) requires four of the following facilities: "cooking, refrigeration or ice box, self contained toilet, heating and air conditioning, or both, a portable water supply system including a faucet and sink.

A. Cooking facility - will include one or more items - stove microwave oven, standard oven, or convection oven, which is permanently installed and has adequate clearance as specified in the terms their listed. clearance spaces shall be framed in or guarded to prevent storage space within the clearance specified by its UL or manufacturers listing.

B. Refrigeration or icebox - will include a refrigeration unit or icebox which is permanently installed. The unit may be powered by electric, LP gas, or both.

C. Self-contained toilet - will include a toilet and waste collection system that is permanently installed.

D. Heating or air conditioning or both - will include standard recreational vehicle type roof or window mounted air conditioner unit that is permanently installed. the heating system shall be electric, LP gas, or both that is permanently installed and meet the terms of their UL or manufacturers listing.

E. A portable water system including a faucet and sink - will include a system to store water in a holding tank attached to a faucet and sink. it will also have a grey water holding tank.

4. Separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply system or liquefied petroleum (LP) gas supply or both. a 12v dc power inverter capable of powering the cooking facility, refrigeration, and/or the heating/air conditioning system that is permanently installed will be acceptable. an LP gas system used to supply the stove, oven, refrigerator, or heating will be acceptable.

******TRUCK/TRACTORS CONVERTED TO RV ********* a separate box must be put on the back of the truck/tractor (cannot be just a regular sleeper that has been modified)

this is the letter i got i am just curious what your interpretation is to this????
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Pretty much the same in all states, 4 of 6 requirements met. Little bit tighter there than elsewhere.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:46 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrapac View Post

Its a pretty standard form letter - it tells you what you need to have on a bus (or any vehicle) that will be registered as an RV. It lays out some of the minimum standards and items you must have installed on the vehicle. Some of the systems it required to be installed/mounted to the vehicle - like the chairs and table can't just be folding chairs thrown into the back of an empty bus. Not everything has to be fancy or expensive - an ice box will suffice instead of a powered fridge. A camping heater with a wall mount could qualify as a wall-mount LP heater. It specifies a fresh water system with a sink - that could be a 5-gallon water jug on the ceiling with a hose going to the sink with another 5-gallon bucket under the sink to collect the gray water.

You need a sleeping area and an eating area, along with 4 of the 5 listed features.

Sleeping area requirements.

Eating area requirements : You need a table with a bench seat. They should be mounted to the motorhome somehow, not just loose in the back.

You need at least 4 of these 5 options :
-A Cooking Facility
-Refridgerator or Ice Box
-Self-contained Toilet
-Heating or AC
-Portable Water System

Cooking : At least a microwave. If you install an oven, make sure there's proper clearances around it so nothing catches fire.

You need at least an icebox permanently installed into the motorhome. A powered fridge is optional, but not required.

You need a toilet.

You need some sort of heating or air conditioning system.

You need a fresh water system with a fresh water container hooked up to a sink, and a grey water container.

These are not optional, you must have them.

You need one of these to power your appliances :

120-volt electric power supply (generator/shore power)

12-volt power supply (inverter/batteries)
LP gas system

You need to be able to power your appliances.

Those should explain themselves. A second exit door, fire extinguisher, and a smoke alarm.

If you're converting a tractor trailer, you need to remove the hitch. A standard truck cab sleeper does not qualify as an RV - a separate RV structure must be built on the frame behind the cab.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Do they actually mean a "portable" water supply or "potable". Most of don't have portable water systems, but permanent ones.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:54 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Do they actually mean a "portable" water supply or "potable". Most of don't have portable water systems, but permanent ones.

I'd guess "potable."
(The same way that bullet #1 on the list ended up as bullet #! instead.)
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:56 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I wonder if they are sticklers on permanent toilet?

What does this mean?
" heating and air conditioning, or both"
Old 03-23-2019, 05:58 PM   #8
Bus Geek

A commercial composting or cassette loo likely fine.

Bucket with a hefty sack likely not.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:58 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
What does this mean?
" heating and air conditioning, or both"
Funny grammar.

Or should be fine.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:01 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Wow, those are important but costly fixtures that are required to get an RV reclassification.
There is seemingly no use while you build in Missouri. The DMV lives up to their states motto: The Show Me State!!!
Guess this ain't no cheap lifestyle in some states...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Wow, those are important but costly fixtures that are required to get an RV reclassification.
There is seemingly no use while you build in Missouri. The DMV lives up to their states motto: The Show Me State!!!
Guess this ain't no cheap lifestyle in some states...
You can't register it as a private bus and get a commercial for private use insurance policy?
Old 03-23-2019, 06:35 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Quote:
You can't register it as a private bus and get a commercial for private use insurance policy?
Don't know Marc. I'm just commenting on the OP's posting of rules for reclass. in MO....
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Don't know Marc. I'm just commenting on the OP's posting of rules for reclass. in MO....
Your comment of not being able to use it while converting is inaccurate. Some have gotten away with registering as an RV without having done the basics. Then can't drive it because the insurance won't insure as an RV. Thats why the commercial policy works for conversion.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
When I lied in Missouri I converted a dirt bike to street use. In order to do that change I had to take it to a highway patrol inspection facility where they made sure I had installed all the required equipment, and they handed me a certificate to take to the DMV showing it had passed the inspection. I would assume that the process for a conversion to RV title is similar.

That bike was a ton of fun but I had to sell it because I was getting too many tickets.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:32 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Oregon

Quote:
Pretty much the same in all states, 4 of 6 requirements met. Little bit tighter there than elsewhere.
OREGON:

$30 bunk-bed frame thrown in back with single twin matress, not bolted down.
Coleman stove bolted to a wire-frame shelf, tied to the wall.
Then no inspection.
Now I'm a "motor-home"
Afterwards, my S.F. insurance dropped to like $70 every two years. I even called to ask if there was an "additional" $70, or if it was the new bill. double
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:30 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
OREGON:

Then no inspection.
Now I'm a "motor-home"
Afterwards, my S.F. insurance dropped to like $70 every two years. I even called to ask if there was an "additional" $70, or if it was the new bill. double
Did those meet the requirements, or what you got away with because no one at DMV wants to do their job?
Old 03-24-2019, 04:03 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

conversion requirments

buy an old truck camper and take all those things out of it
desparado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:19 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 466e
Rated Cap: its Yuge
to the OP, I have just recently finished my registration of a bus conversion in MO and would be glad to help answer any questions.

The highway patrol was excellent to me, not at all nit picky about the rv components that i had in there (I was actually disappointed they didn't check it out more.).

The DOR on the other hand was a mess and it took a long long time to get paperwork figured out.
MambaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:36 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
OREGON:

Then no inspection.
Now I'm a "motor-home"

I just went to DMV in Oregon and told them I bought a bus and installed the required items. https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Forms/DMV/465.pdf

To qualify for motor home registration, the vehicle must be designed, reconstructed, or
permanently altered to provide facilities for human habitation (permanent sleeping and cooking
facilities). No inspection needed, handed to me right on the spot.

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:38 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by desparado View Post
buy an old truck camper and take all those things out of it

That is what I did. bought a water damaged camper and salvaged tons of parts for my build (you can see pics of it and all the parts in my build thread in my signature below!)

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote