Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2015, 02:39 AM   #1
Bus Nut

looking at full timing insurance and saw this

So I was looking into full timers insurance and came across this link.
Bus Conversion Insurance

copied from the site linked above.

With underwriting guidelines being tightened to keep losses in check, insurance companies are avoiding certain types of risk. One of the most well-known risks that most specialty RV insurance providers avoid is the school bus conversion. Very few insurance companies will insure this type of vehicle. The main reason cited for this is the axle of a school bus is generally a narrower axle than that of a regular bus. Thus, when the additional weight of the conversion is added, it can result in a top-heavy vehicle, which is more susceptible to rollover accidents. Historically, more serious accidents have occurred to school bus conversions as compared to regular bus conversions-enough that many companies are no longer willing to accept this risk.

I was thinking how does one become more top heavy when converting the it dawned on me, Roof raises. Also I call BS on the whole Higher risk than motor coach busses simply there are more accidents with skoolies as there are more skoolies out there. IDK I want a skoolie so I can take it more places off the path that there is no way a VanHool will make it but a skoolie should, that said I would like to get full timer insurance. I also came across the same cockandbull when looking into conversions of former transit busses.

CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:03 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Yeah, I think I contacted them and was turned down.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote