Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1
Looking for anyone in BC Canada

Hey everyone Im new to the site , been reading lots but thought Id finally join, my question is that has anyone from British Columbia converted a bus into a RV and how they whent about it with ICBC , thanks !
Kmd54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmd54 View Post
Hey everyone Im new to the site , been reading lots but thought Id finally join, my question is that has anyone from British Columbia converted a bus into a RV and how they whent about it with ICBC , thanks !
I currently have all the info and want to smash my head against a wall. We converted our van being given different ICBC info and now we have to change a lot to pass as a class B motorhome.

What did you need to know?
Sprinter4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter4x4van View Post
I currently have all the info and want to smash my head against a wall. We converted our van being given different ICBC info and now we have to change a lot to pass as a class B motorhome.

What did you need to know?
New to this and have a million questions as I am trying to wrap my head around all of this before buying my bus.

Is icbc the only option in BC? Do I only need the 4 out of 7 requirements to get rv status? What's the difference between rv and class b? an I get basic comprehensive coverage for the bus as a vehicle and not worry about coverage as my "home" and it's belongings? I wish to do a roof raise and have a wood stove in my bus.

Thanks for any info.
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:17 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,832
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
New to this and have a million questions as I am trying to wrap my head around all of this before buying my bus.

Is icbc the only option in BC? Do I only need the 4 out of 7 requirements to get rv status? What's the difference between rv and class b? an I get basic comprehensive coverage for the bus as a vehicle and not worry about coverage as my "home" and it's belongings? I wish to do a roof raise and have a wood stove in my bus.

Thanks for any info.
Class B is a smaller van type RV, school bus would be more in line with a Class A RV. Comprehensive might be expensive to cover a $3K bus. Many of us get a "Commercial For Private Use" policy during build out and then RV coverage once the 4 of 6-7 are met. Check with your insurance company about the wood stove, many won't insure you with one.
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:25 PM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 1,640
Chassis: still looking for my bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter4x4van View Post
I currently have all the info and want to smash my head against a wall. We converted our van being given different ICBC info and now we have to change a lot to pass as a class B motorhome.

What did you need to know?
my local ICBC outlet told me it was very straight forward to register a bus as a motorhome and gave me a list that said `4 of the above have to be installed and working before it could be classed as a motorhome - I was talking an 8 - 10 window bus though - Salmo BC here
Sleddgracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #6
Bus Nut
 
Yukon Cornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Goose Bay NL
Posts: 381
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
I've always found when dealing with ICBC for anything anomalous get it on paper and make whatever individual you deal with put their name to it.
the downside to this means you have to go into the office......
It most likely will be one the Prov Commercial Vehicle Inspectors that certifies it as no longer being a "Commercial Bus" and classes it as a motorhome.

Here's another thread of frustration at ICBC's general lack of defined policy and informed personnel working for them.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/ic...s-13605-3.html
__________________
Yukon

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Merritt, BC, Canada
Posts: 8
Year: 2008
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: bluebird mini
Engine: duramax diesel
Rated Cap: 12 pass. , two wheelchair
hello. I also live in BC and feel your pain. I am converting a small bus to an RV.

I am just finding out about the requirement of black and grey water tanks AND that they have to be mounted "under" the bus. Is this true if i want to register the bus as a motorhome in BC?

Are there other ways of registering my bus conversion other than as a "motorhome"? Would this make the insurance a lot more expensive?

What did you use for heat in your conversion? An espar airtronic D2 diesel heater? or a standard propane heater system? I was wondering if the espar diesel heaters are CSA approved?

please help!? i am right in the middle of my bus conversion and i have to put a hault on it all until i confirm what the fresh/grey/black water tanks requirements are....

thx!
scoolienewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 1,640
Chassis: still looking for my bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoolienewbie View Post
hello. I also live in BC and feel your pain. I am converting a small bus to an RV.

I am just finding out about the requirement of black and grey water tanks AND that they have to be mounted "under" the bus. Is this true if i want to register the bus as a motorhome in BC?

Are there other ways of registering my bus conversion other than as a "motorhome"? Would this make the insurance a lot more expensive?

What did you use for heat in your conversion? An espar airtronic D2 diesel heater? or a standard propane heater system? I was wondering if the espar diesel heaters are CSA approved?

please help!? i am right in the middle of my bus conversion and i have to put a hault on it all until i confirm what the fresh/grey/black water tanks requirements are....

thx!
best way is to phone your local ICBC franchise or office - that's what I did and it only took a few moments to find that out and how to get insurance on a rig from another province
Sleddgracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.