Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2018, 01:45 PM   #1

Looking for anyone in BC Canada

Hey everyone I’m new to the site , been reading lots but thought I’d finally join, my question is that has anyone from British Columbia converted a bus into a RV and how they whent about it with ICBC , thanks !

Kmd54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmd54 View Post
Hey everyone I’m new to the site , been reading lots but thought I’d finally join, my question is that has anyone from British Columbia converted a bus into a RV and how they whent about it with ICBC , thanks !
I currently have all the info and want to smash my head against a wall. We converted our van being given different ICBC info and now we have to change a lot to pass as a class B motorhome.

What did you need to know?
Sprinter4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter4x4van View Post
I currently have all the info and want to smash my head against a wall. We converted our van being given different ICBC info and now we have to change a lot to pass as a class B motorhome.

New to this and have a million questions as I am trying to wrap my head around all of this before buying my bus.

Is icbc the only option in BC? Do I only need the 4 out of 7 requirements to get rv status? What's the difference between rv and class b? Çan I get basic comprehensive coverage for the bus as a vehicle and not worry about coverage as my "home" and it's belongings? I wish to do a roof raise and have a wood stove in my bus.

Thanks for any info.
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:17 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
New to this and have a million questions as I am trying to wrap my head around all of this before buying my bus.

Is icbc the only option in BC? Do I only need the 4 out of 7 requirements to get rv status? What's the difference between rv and class b? Çan I get basic comprehensive coverage for the bus as a vehicle and not worry about coverage as my "home" and it's belongings? I wish to do a roof raise and have a wood stove in my bus.

Thanks for any info.
Class B is a smaller van type RV, school bus would be more in line with a Class A RV. Comprehensive might be expensive to cover a $3K bus. Many of us get a "Commercial For Private Use" policy during build out and then RV coverage once the 4 of 6-7 are met. Check with your insurance company about the wood stove, many won't insure you with one.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:25 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter4x4van View Post

my local ICBC outlet told me it was very straight forward to register a bus as a motorhome and gave me a list that said `4 of the above have to be installed and working before it could be classed as a motorhome - I was talking an 8 - 10 window bus though - Salmo BC here
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
I've always found when dealing with ICBC for anything anomalous get it on paper and make whatever individual you deal with put their name to it.
the downside to this means you have to go into the office......
It most likely will be one the Prov Commercial Vehicle Inspectors that certifies it as no longer being a "Commercial Bus" and classes it as a motorhome.

Here's another thread of frustration at ICBC's general lack of defined policy and informed personnel working for them.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/ic...s-13605-3.html

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2013
Coachwork: 32' Thomas C2
Chassis: Freightliner, with FABCO 4x4 conversion and 6"lift
Engine: 6.7 Cummins 300hp
Rated Cap: 15 plus storage area
hello. I also live in BC and feel your pain. I am converting a small bus to an RV.

I am just finding out about the requirement of black and grey water tanks AND that they have to be mounted "under" the bus. Is this true if i want to register the bus as a motorhome in BC?

Are there other ways of registering my bus conversion other than as a "motorhome"? Would this make the insurance a lot more expensive?

What did you use for heat in your conversion? An espar airtronic D2 diesel heater? or a standard propane heater system? I was wondering if the espar diesel heaters are CSA approved?

please help!? i am right in the middle of my bus conversion and i have to put a hault on it all until i confirm what the fresh/grey/black water tanks requirements are....

thx!
scoolienewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoolienewbie View Post
hello. I also live in BC and feel your pain. I am converting a small bus to an RV.

I am just finding out about the requirement of black and grey water tanks AND that they have to be mounted "under" the bus. Is this true if i want to register the bus as a motorhome in BC?

Are there other ways of registering my bus conversion other than as a "motorhome"? Would this make the insurance a lot more expensive?

What did you use for heat in your conversion? An espar airtronic D2 diesel heater? or a standard propane heater system? I was wondering if the espar diesel heaters are CSA approved?

please help!? i am right in the middle of my bus conversion and i have to put a hault on it all until i confirm what the fresh/grey/black water tanks requirements are....

thx!
best way is to phone your local ICBC franchise or office - that's what I did and it only took a few moments to find that out and how to get insurance on a rig from another province
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote