Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

MA Insurance for 1998 Bluebird All American RE

Hello!

I want to start an updated thread for insurance options in MA. I had not seen any threads that were new to 2018.

The Skoolie:

1998 Bluebird All American RE.
40 feet long, lives in Iowa as I am writing this, and is currently titled as an RV.

MA RMV Fun:

To register a vehicle in MA, you are required to bring a completed RMV-1 form along with your application. This form is completed by your insurance company and must be done BEFORE registering the vehicle.

Insurance Options:

I have seen relatively recent info that shows conflicting info about Progressive. I do not believe that National General does business in MA, from my brief zip code entries on their website/s.

I have seen some people saying "Progressive Commercial for Private Use" insurance is the way to go, but I want to verify that. I am also currently searching for any local agent with a human head that I can find.

Vehicle Inspection:

MA requires a vehicle safety inspection within 7 days of registration. Are there any specific guidelines to be aware of for an RV?

MA is consistently a nightmare for anything auto-related. I'd love to hear from somebody who has gone through this exact process in this lovely commonwealth of ours.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

cjmorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:15 PM   #2

I was able to get insurance in Mass through progressive and got my camper plates from the RMV today. I don't know if it was sheer luck or what but I got them so I'll take it! I had originally registered the bus commercial and got a commercial inspection with zero issues.
3star777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:57 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3star777 View Post
I was able to get insurance in Mass through progressive and got my camper plates from the RMV today. I don't know if it was sheer luck or what but I got them so I'll take it! I had originally registered the bus commercial and got a commercial inspection with zero issues.
When the underwriters at Progressive get the paperwork, plan on being canceled. I'm surprised you got this far as Progresssive is no longer insuring converted school buses.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmorin View Post
Hello!

I want to start an updated thread for insurance options in MA. I had not seen any threads that were new to 2018.

The Skoolie:

1998 Bluebird All American RE.
40 feet long, lives in Iowa as I am writing this, and is currently titled as an RV.

MA RMV Fun:

To register a vehicle in MA, you are required to bring a completed RMV-1 form along with your application. This form is completed by your insurance company and must be done BEFORE registering the vehicle.

Insurance Options:

I have seen relatively recent info that shows conflicting info about Progressive. I do not believe that National General does business in MA, from my brief zip code entries on their website/s.

I have seen some people saying "Progressive Commercial for Private Use" insurance is the way to go, but I want to verify that. I am also currently searching for any local agent with a human head that I can find.

Vehicle Inspection:

MA requires a vehicle safety inspection within 7 days of registration. Are there any specific guidelines to be aware of for an RV?

MA is consistently a nightmare for anything auto-related. I'd love to hear from somebody who has gone through this exact process in this lovely commonwealth of ours.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Why are you insuring a bus in Mass. that resides in Iowa. Insurance wants the vehicle insured in the state it resides.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote