Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Almost There

Maine titling and registration

My neighbor was telling me about titling and registering RV's in Maine. I guess it is cheaper and you do not need any kind of inspection. You can do it all online and over the phone. With trailers you don't even need a title in Maine. Just wondering if anyone has any experience titling or registering their skoolies with Maine. I was going to call them but they are on holiday today.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Re: Maine titling and registration

This site has general guidelines on registration for the different states, but not sure how Maine looks at converted busses though:

http://www.dmv.org
Old 03-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Re: Maine titling and registration

If you do this, you should set up a Maine corporation or something. For a NY resident to not have NY tags on a personally-owned vehicle operated in the state, it is a violation of VTL 401, and can get you a $300 fine plus court costs and 15 days in jail.

Expect a gung-ho cop to get you as both unregistered and uninspected, Maine plates notwithstanding.

This plan may work for people living in more reasonable states. Or maybe not.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:41 PM   #4

Maine Registration Requirements

Maine only requires a few things to be able to register a retired bus as an rv:

1) proof of insurance

2) bus must be painted a color other than yellow

3) red flashing lights must be removed

4) all stop signs must.be removed

Initial registration must be done in person for a visual inspection. Subsequent inspections may be done online. The fees are based upon the original purchase price, so expect to pay a out $300 in local excise taxes in addition to the state fees.
Robbie in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I don't know about buses , but with motorcycles you can register and title a non tilted bike in Vermont on line or just filing out the correct forms. You don't have to have an address there or anything like that. Costs about $200. It is important to some people to have a title when buying vintage bikes, but a title on vintage stuff is not required in most states. Here in Ga. all thats needed is a bill of sale and if you don't have a title they won''t issue you a new one. Never heard how Maine does it, but if you're in N.Y., I'd check Vermont also.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #6

Year: 2001
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT
register in Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie in Maine View Post
Maine only requires a few things to be able to register a retired bus as an rv:

1) proof of insurance

2) bus must be painted a color other than yellow

3) red flashing lights must be removed

4) all stop signs must.be removed

Initial registration must be done in person for a visual inspection. Subsequent inspections may be done online. The fees are based upon the original purchase price, so expect to pay a out $300 in local excise taxes in addition to the state fees.

I will be ding this soon. When you say in person do you mean I have to drive the bus to the DMV or just me in person? Thanks I live in southern Maine.
life the wild ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:19 PM   #7

Register a skoolie in Maine

Do I have to drive the bus for them to see or do you mean that I myself have to be in person at the DMV? thanks I live in southern Maine and would love to get it on the road even though its not complete yet.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:11 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Coach & Equipment MFG
Chassis: ford E350 superduty
Engine: 5.4 liter v8
Rated Cap: 7 passenger
i would go to your town office and see if you can get it done there first, title, proof of insurance, cash,... was all my town wanted (although my title said van)
Old 09-02-2018, 04:53 PM   #9

register in Maine

Ya the Van thing is probably what saved you. I have a full size bus and no way to hide it LOL. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Coach & Equipment MFG
Chassis: ford E350 superduty
Engine: 5.4 liter v8
Rated Cap: 7 passenger
the clerk at the town office was nice enough to send me back to mass,.. because the seller didn't include his title with the company that sold it to me on the bill of sale,.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:54 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Vision
Engine: C7 caterpillar Allison automatic heavy foot
Rated Cap: 72
insuring and registering your bus "legally" in maine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrockingchairs View Post
My neighbor was telling me about titling and registering RV's in Maine. I guess it is cheaper and you do not need any kind of inspection. You can do it all online and over the phone. With trailers you don't even need a title in Maine. Just wondering if anyone has any experience titling or registering their skoolies with Maine. I was going to call them but they are on holiday today.
first yes you need to be inspected but not commercial as a reg motor vehicle so that's good and just a reg license! look first thing you want to know with registering a skoolie is don't be to honest!!!! but be honest enough to be legal dont volunteer any information they don't ask for when insuring your bus insure it as a farm vehicle this is what i did, the town office here where i am said you can insure it as a wheelboro if you want as long as its insured! then go to town office show them the insurance tell them it's an rv and boom good to go but the insurance company doesn't need to know anything more than its a mobile kitchen and bathroom for the farm to take breaks in farm equipment!
Smokey's pipe dream is offline   Reply With Quote