Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2019, 02:10 PM   #21

I went to the RMV to and got camper plates without any issues!!! I'm not sure if it was pure luck or what, but I'm just happy to have them. Has anyone else been able to get them in Mass? At first the woman wasn't able to get it from commercial to camper because it wouldn't accept the vehicle type but then she manually changed the vehicle type to auto home and voila! Camper plates.

3star777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:54 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcardew View Post
I just got done talking to a guy about this and this was roughly his response.

get a notarized bill of sale saying it is an RV. Register RV to Vermont, 2 weeks later you get your plates. VT doesn't require an inspection and can be done by just sending in your paperwork and a check. All you have to say is that you summer in VT or spend a lot of time there skiing or hiking. The plate will show up under your home address if ever checked by police. The registration is good for 1 or 2 years, so when that is up you can register it to you mass address. You can do it sooner too, but that just seems to be a waste of money. It is a nice little trick to get around the not so clear system that we have here in mass.

I have not looked into this at length, but the guy has done a bunch of conversions and sounded reliable. If somebody checks this out, please tell me if im right or wrong. i hope im right, that could save us all a lot of trouble.

in the meantime, he also said put a post on craigslist and facebook market place saying you need a school bus towed for $100 and people will pounce. so you can get your new bus back home!
No notarized paperwork is needed at all. There is an inspection require, but not up front. I'm wondering what issues we'll run into at renewal time. Rehistration is good for one year only.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:30 PM   #23

Skokie regs in MA

Any updates on how to register AND which ins companies will help out??
flyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:06 PM   #24

hello everyone

hello everyone I need help and how to register my skoolie bus in Massachusetts thanks im try the insurance and say no and motor vehicule to conversion to bring a plate thanks
Milordfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:32 PM   #25

So were you able to register the bus and get plates?
showill007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:46 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Hey there, I posted in this thread a long time ago so let me update you. My short bus has a title that says it's a van, so I registered it as a van and insured it as a van, initially with Geico, but they dropped me, figured out it was a bus, though I'm not sure how (were they looking at my social media? That would be weird).

Then I went with Liberty Mutual but was terrified they'd drop me too if I ever had an accident because they'd find out it's a bus and not a van. Well, the accident happened (I backed into and lightly tapped a gas pump - in the security video you can't even see that I hit it and I still don't think I did, but anyway...) it's obvious from the video it's a bus. They didn't drop me. So... I recommend Liberty Mutual, but I don't think they would have taken me if my title had said bus outright. If yours is titled as a bus, my suggestion is that you find the thread on this forum about registering and applying for a new title in Vermont, because you can do it without even going there. Once you have an RV title it doesn't matter how MA defines a conversion. if your title says RV, it's not a conversion, it's an RV.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:23 AM   #27

Wow thankyou so very much my friend. I will most definately look into that asap. I live in Boston, does that matter?
showill007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:16 AM   #28

Registered!!!!

We did the Vermont work around. Submitted all the paperwork to Vermont and we got our registration back listing our vehicle as an RV. Got plates from Vermont. Once we have it listed as an RV we took it to the DMV in Massachusetts and got a new registration and new Massachusetts plates.
Success finally. Once we had the registration saying it was an RV and the plates, it was easy to get insurance
flyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
Hey there, I posted in this thread a long time ago so let me update you. My short bus has a title that says it's a van, so I registered it as a van and insured it as a van, initially with Geico, but they dropped me, figured out it was a bus, though I'm not sure how (were they looking at my social media? That would be weird).
Did you have full, (comprehensive) with them or simple liability only?
(Asking for a friend! )
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:34 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: 30k
Engine: Isb 5.9 cummins
Hi everyone. Im.new here. I just successfully registered my 04 bluebird 34 foot buss in Massachusetts so I figured I wld post the good news. I just made sure that my insurance agent filled out the rmv1 properly. The registry just asked about permanent sink and toilet. The guy was confused how to manually type in auto home. Once they click on the body style "bus" there is no other automated option for registration type. They have to manually type in auto home. After that snag, I hot my plates and was on my way. I think it really all depends on the person. The insurance on the other had was more difficult. None of the insurance places wld insure a converted bus as an rv. So I had to insure it as a person vehicle. Im hoping once I get my title, I can revisit the insurance issue.
Kvan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:59 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: 30k
Engine: Isb 5.9 cummins
I also had good luck in mass getting camper plates. But. I received the title and it still says schoolbus. Not autohome. Which will make it harder to sell im sure. What does your title say?
Kvan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:31 PM   #32

What is a permant toilet requirement for the bus conversion in MA?

Is the composting toilet considered the permanent toilet?

What are the examples of the permanent toilet in order to convert a short bus to a RV in MA?

Also, what is a canister toilet? Is it just a normal toilet in a typical home?
iexpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:14 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Canister toilet aka porta-potty like one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Whit...dp/B07CHLVS16/
Old 06-27-2021, 08:51 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by iexpl View Post
Is the composting toilet considered the permanent toilet?

What are the examples of the permanent toilet in order to convert a short bus to a RV in MA?

Also, what is a canister toilet? Is it just a normal toilet in a typical home?
Normally , in most states, only 4 of 6 requirements need to be met. Your toilet does not have to be one of them. Most states will accept a compost toilet if it's in a permanent location.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:37 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
a canister toilet is likely what is referred to as a cassette toilet.. they are typically portable toilets that have their own built in fresh and black tanks that are removable.. the whole toilet itself may be moveable or just the casettes for emptying and filling..

from the ouitside a cassette toilet looks like a regular RV toilet.. if you have one sitting a pile of stuff or in a storage cabinet they likely wouldnt pass you.. if you have one sitting in what looks to be a bathroom in your bus it looks and works like an RV toilet so would prob pass you..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:26 AM   #36

Does anyone have any information on registering and insuring a E450 ambulance conversion in MA? Insurance co said I need a commercial policy (weight??) - that's crazy expensive.

Thanks!
markc is offline   Reply With Quote