Old 02-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Massachusetts registration.

So I had the pleasure of registering my 02' freightliner fs65. I explained that all seat were removed and was being converted into an R/V. After much confusion, calls to Boston, other supervisors, and an hour at the counter it was understood that whether a bus has 1 seat or 60 seats it's still a bus and will be registered as such. Just a heads up just in case anyone is trying to register here in mass. Good luck. Because it's a unique situation it definitely isn't easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dryn87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryn87 View Post
So I had the pleasure of registering my 02' freightliner fs65. I explained that all seat were removed and was being converted into an R/V. After much confusion, calls to Boston, other supervisors, and an hour at the counter it was understood that whether a bus has 1 seat or 60 seats it's still a bus and will be registered as such. Just a heads up just in case anyone is trying to register here in mass. Good luck. Because it's a unique situation it definitely isn't easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's funny. I called RMV and they said it needed to be converted. I asked what that consisted of and was answered : a permanent bed, a sink, a toilet (may be a canister toilet) and a place to cook.
They don't actually make you prove it. But the police have the ability to ticket you for improper reg if they see an RV reg on a non RV vehicle (bus pre-conversion).
Best advice I ever got "don't give them too much info"
I asked how to register my RV that was converted from a bus.
I haven't actually done it yet, but it will be soon.
Will update with my saga when I go through it.
Maybe wait a few months and try to change the reg? Say it is converted.
I planned on insuring it as a commercial vehicle for private use until the conversion was completely finished, and wasn't going to title/reg it as an RV till then. I was afraid that the insurance company would get a notification that the title had changed and drop me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:28 AM   #3

reg updates?

Do either you have have any updates on how the registration went? My wife and I are doing the same thing.
L.Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:08 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Benjamin View Post
Do either you have have any updates on how the registration went? My wife and I are doing the same thing.
The RMV rules are as clear as muddy water. In Massachusetts, you have to get a RMV1 form from your insurance company.
The rmv1 has to list what you will be registered as. Any time you change registration you need this form filled out. With that being said, I had to register my bus commercial. I am in the process of appealing that. The woman I initially went to said "you can't register it as a bus, and I think it's too big to register it as a private vehicle, so it will have to be commercial or you could register it as an RV"
That sounds perfect on the surface... Except the state will and does notify the insurance company of any title change...
I registered it commercial (instead of as a bus for private use) and got a call from my insurance company 24 hours later asking about the title change.
So if they offer you RV tags and you haven't found insurance for an RV... the insurance company will most likely drop you (as in "we don't insure school bus conversions")

Old 11-06-2017, 07:11 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
The RMV rules are as clear as muddy water. In Massachusetts, you have to get a RMV1 form from your insurance company.
The rmv1 has to list what you will be registered as. Any time you change registration you need this form filled out. With that being said, I had to register my bus commercial. I am in the process of appealing that. The woman I initially went to said "you can't register it as a bus, and I think it's too big to register it as a private vehicle, so it will have to be commercial or you could register it as an RV"
That sounds perfect on the surface... Except the state will and does notify the insurance company of any title change...
I registered it commercial (instead of as a bus for private use) and got a call from my insurance company 24 hours later asking about the title change.
So if they offer you RV tags and you haven't found insurance for an RV... the insurance company will most likely drop you (as in "we don't insure school bus conversions")

As an edit, the insurance company was fine with it being commercial, and my rate actually went down 20 a month because it isn't being used commercially...

Old 11-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #6

Thank you

Quote:
As an edit, the insurance company was fine with it being commercial, and my rate actually went down 20 a month because it isn't being used commercially...

Thank you for the response.
L.Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

So I want to resurrect this thread to ask a related MA registration question.

I am picking up a converted skoolie from Iowa at the end of August. It is already titled as an RV. My plan is to insure it and register it just as a personal RV when I go to the registry.

Maybe I am diluting myself in thinking that it will be an easy shot at the registry, but if there is no title change and the insurance is already set up then I cannot think of what would happen. It's not like it ever seems to go well for cars...

My next question: Where to get insurance? National General is not offered in MA. Progressive does offer RV insurance, but I'm not really sure how to begin the application. Are skoolies considered "Class A", or what?
cjmorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Engine: Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
That's funny. I called RMV and they said it needed to be converted. I asked what that consisted of and was answered : a permanent bed, a sink, a toilet (may be a canister toilet) and a place to cook.
Yesterday, they told me that it had to have PERMANENTLY INSTALLED toilet. So it sounds like canister toilet isn't acceptable now?

I am headed to the RMV and very apprehensive. I just got insurance through Progressive, who said that it should be able to be registered as a passenger vehicle. I went with them after being turned down by everyone I could find to insure it as an RV. The Progressive rep who was doing my RMV-1 form asked me only how many seat belts it had. When I said two, passenger went on the form.

Am I going to get in trouble if I have a passenger license plate on my shortie?? This is turning out to be the most complicated thing I've ever done.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
Yesterday, they told me that it had to have PERMANENTLY INSTALLED toilet. So it sounds like canister toilet isn't acceptable now?

I am headed to the RMV and very apprehensive. I just got insurance through Progressive, who said that it should be able to be registered as a passenger vehicle. I went with them after being turned down by everyone I could find to insure it as an RV. The Progressive rep who was doing my RMV-1 form asked me only how many seat belts it had. When I said two, passenger went on the form.

Am I going to get in trouble if I have a passenger license plate on my shortie?? This is turning out to be the most complicated thing I've ever done.
If the title and registration have the same VIN, there isn't anything a cop can do.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Engine: Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Thanks! I appreciate the reassurance.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote