Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2021, 08:19 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss_Bus View Post
So did anyone find out any more info on which is the better way to register a skoolie……none commercial or RV? I looked at a shortie that had already been titled as a motorhome but didn’t end up buying it. Now I’ve found a full-size that need to be converted…..
If you have any issues registering Mi., go the easiest alternate route and register in Vt. There is plenty of info here how to easily register by mail. RV insurance is usually cheaper than any other classifaction. I pay $4.11 a month for liability.

Old 09-16-2021, 05:12 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2010
Chassis: Blue Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
If you have any issues registering Mi., go the easiest alternate route and register in Vt. There is plenty of info here how to easily register by mail. RV insurance is usually cheaper than any other classification. I pay $4.11 a month for liability.
I don't think there's gonna be an issue registering it just wondering which one is the better way. As a motorhome or none commercial. Even though Michigan's SOS is always enjoyable when ya walk in there and no one is ever upset....j/k . As for insurance we've been in talks w/ our current provider and they said it won't be an issue to insure.
Hoss_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:13 PM   #23

Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m View Post
i left my title alone, but changed the registration. It is registerd as a non-commercial bus.

If you're anywhere near Lapeer michigan, you can go to that SOS, they're familiar with the process now. I've done 2 buses there. The 2nd time was significantly easier than the 1st time. If you want, e-mail me off list and i'll give ya my liscense plate number. You can take that to the SOS and tell them you want your bus registered just the same. that may help them.

My bus is cheaper than my VW when it comes to registration. I think it's under $40 bucks per year.

I have a non-commercial plate, no commercial drivers liscense, and non-commercial insurance. Since it's not commercial, it falls into the recreational vehicle category according to the MSP and the SOS. I've crossed the border into canada several times, and talked to many police officers, and nobody has had a concern about the lack of "motorhome" registration. I've had a bus now for 3 or 4 years and traveled to nevada twice, and to texas and back. Most of the miles i've driven have been here in the state however. I don't know what advantage you would have by registering the vehicle as a motorhome, except you get to donate more $$$ to the state of michigan before your next birthday.
Any chance you're still on here? I'd like to chat with ya for some help on my first bus I plan to buy shortly and take to register in Michigan
SupremeOverlordLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:02 PM   #24

yes i found out non commercial is not the way to go! way more expensive. title ur bus as motor home first. so two trips to sos. once u get title in mail get insurance (collision). i havnt registered mine yet but everything is going to be dependent on it being yellow, stop sign removed, overhead flashers(red and yellow) removed or painted. the. inside u need toilet, sleeping area, and cooking area. thats what iv read. iv heard from others u dont need them. also on my first trip in to switch title i brought a loose leaf paper with list of what im doing to bus and put prices of them. i was in and out in ten mins. they took it as i did these update already i think so up to you how you say things. knowone asked for pictures or weight of vehicle. so just try it and worst they can say is “we need this” then ur one step closer. i went to clinton twp ship location. hope this helps.
andyMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:18 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2010
Chassis: Blue Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyMI View Post
yes i found out non commercial is not the way to go! way more expensive. title ur bus as motor home first. so two trips to sos. once u get title in mail get insurance (collision). i havnt registered mine yet but everything is going to be dependent on it being yellow, stop sign removed, overhead flashers(red and yellow) removed or painted. the. inside u need toilet, sleeping area, and cooking area. thats what iv read. iv heard from others u dont need them. also on my first trip in to switch title i brought a loose leaf paper with list of what im doing to bus and put prices of them. i was in and out in ten mins. they took it as i did these update already i think so up to you how you say things. knowone asked for pictures or weight of vehicle. so just try it and worst they can say is “we need this” then ur one step closer. i went to clinton twp ship location. hope this helps.
The insurance company i went through said youll need a sleeping, dining, and kitchen area. Nothing about a toilet....Also insure it as a motorhome it's about 1/2 the price and a bus conversion. It was around $25-30 for RV and about $75-80 for bus converion....
Hoss_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 01:17 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyMI View Post
You mean convert to an MH first and then get insurance. If you do it backwards you won't have valid insurance when the insurance company sees no conversion. Most state require 4 of 6 requirements, so a toilet is almost never a mandatory item.
Old 12-14-2021, 04:41 AM   #27

I know this is an old post but is this still able to be done this way? Or have laws and things changed since then?
Keg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 04:48 AM   #28

I know this is an old post but can this still be done?
Old 12-14-2021, 10:03 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keg01 View Post
I know this is an old post but can this still be done?
6 months is hardly old. Do you think they changed the laws in the last 6 months?
Old 12-14-2021, 10:33 AM   #30

I was referring to the original post witch was posted in 2006
Old 12-14-2021, 02:11 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keg01 View Post
I was referring to the original post witch was posted in 2006
The OP may be old, but the thread is current.