Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
Skoolie

Michigan Plates got em but I am confused!

The SOS was open until 7 pm this evening so I decided I would go to get my bus plates. I got there and took a number. #61 and the last number called was #42. OK, that is expected. I waited my turn and I have to say that the staff was working very hard and was keeping up with the flow of people. I finally made it and explained to the lady that I had bought a school bus and was intending to convert it. I was very surprised that she had remembered me from three months prior when I had asked the question while getting my vehicle plates. Immediately she asked for help from the other staff and started pulling books out to assist her in how to proceed. She was definitely sure that the bus had to have permanent sleeping quarters as well as permanent eating quarters. She asked "is it ready?" to which I replied, "I just bought this bus, it will take me some time to meet the requirements." I then stated that I would need to get it to places to work on it and that I need plates to be legal. She then asked another staff member and he said that it was no problem to issue me personal plates that are good as any other plate. The question was how to register or possible change my title.

I must admit that I am not too keen on the idea of building things permanently just to meet the criteria. I bought my bus with track seating and the windows are already tinted. It is 20' from back to the back of the driver's seat. I don't want plumbing and I like the idea of keeping it completely open with just a few seats arranged for table/kids bed. I was going to throw in another matrist for my wife and I. We will carry a chemical port-a-pot just for emergencies, but will rely on campground facilities.

So, My bus has insurance and plates. I am in process of converting it the way I want to. It will be painted by spring and I have already disconnected the overhead flashers. I will be removing the driver side flip out stop sign. The deal with the title, is that such an issue? Is getting the title registered the way the SOS wants it going to keep me from using my bus the way I want to? Any help from you guys to get me to understand what I am missing will clear up my confusion. Thanks!

Train-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Michigan Plates got em but I am confused!

i live in michigan, and i never titled my bus as a motorhome. It's simply a non-commercial bus. Since it's not a commercial vehicle, that makes it a recreational vehicle.

If the sos gave you your plates, they must have also done the title eh? So are you all set? or do you think you still have more work to do to get the situation resolved?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:44 PM   #3
Skoolie

This is why I'm confused. SOS gave me an application for title change. Do I really need it? I don't what to permanately convert my bus. They sold me a plate that is legal. I'm happy with what I got now. Do I have to do the title thing?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
Bus Nut

I also live in Michigan. When I got my bus I got temp plates with it that were good for 2 weeks (I bought mine from a new bus dealer - it was a trade in) I used those to get me home. After I got my title in the mail - (the dealer handled the paperwork) I took it to the s.o.s. and got it changed to a motorhome title. I had to fill out a form saying that I converted it to include eating and sleeping quarters. So I did just that... fill out the form that is, the bus was still yellow with 1/2 the seats still in it, but they don't do inspections anyway.

From what I understand the "eating area" can be something as simple as a Coleman camping stove, and the sleeping area can be as simple as a mattress. That's what the guy at the Sec. of State said when I called... although you get a different answer everytime you call depending on who you talk to.

Lapeer's bus is titled as a non commercial bus, something I didn't know was a possibility when I titled my bus. The only real difference I know of is his registration is about $35/year whereas mine is $85... not that big of deal. I guess he doesn't have to have permanent eating and sleeping areas, which suit's his bus better since his is a party bus, mine is converted for use as a motorhome.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Train-train
This is why I'm confused. SOS gave me an application for title change. Do I really need it? I don't what to permanately convert my bus. They sold me a plate that is legal. I'm happy with what I got now. Do I have to do the title thing?

i would say no you don't.

I assume you signed the old title that you got from the previous owner of the bus and the sos took that when they gave you your plates? If they took the old title, with the previous owners name on it, then your new title with your name on it will be mailed to your house soon. I would guess the new title is just like mine, a non-commercial bus.

if that is the case, then you're all set, unless you can find a good reason to change your title to a motorhome.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
Bus Nut

sometimes I wish I wouldnt live in BC. $85 for a year????
Try $1500 in BC
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
Skoolie

What do ya know. I just got a tital in the mail today for my bus. I thought I had to apply for an RV tital before they would proceed. I am more confused now than ever. Yet, I am feeling fat , dumb, and happy because I have insurance, MI plates and legal title for my bus. I figure I am good to go anywhere. I still don't fully understand what they think my bus is or if it even matters. Anyone want to comment?
Old 09-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Is it a motorhome title?
Old 09-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
Skoolie

It just says its a category 5 ,body style: bus.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
Bus Nut

ya got me... I'd be confused too. Sounds like maybe it's the same kind of title Jason has (non commercial bus)

How much was your registration?

Goes to show ya that most times the workers at the Sec. of State don't know what they're doing with something other than the regular renewing of tabs, drivers licenses ect...
Old 09-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #11
Skoolie

Its prorated for my birthday in may 08, $39.

9 months for $39, so 12 months for $52.

Pretty good in my opinion. I think I will just leave it well enough alone.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:51 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Train-train
. . .Pretty good in my opinion. I think I will just leave it well enough alone.
Smart move on your part. . .falls into the "don't ask, don't tell" category.