Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #1

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, AT643
Rated Cap: 78
MIchigan Secretary of State Experience

Here is my experience. I bought a bus from a school auction. I called GMAC and received my insurance binder. I then went to MI Sec of State with my title, proof of insurance, receipts for toilet, cooktop and bed. Well after waiting in line forever on a Sat AM, I went to next available rep. Of course, she had no idea about bus conversions and called her supervisor. Now I wanted to make sure it would be titled as a motorhome. Even though the weight was listed on the title, they said I needed a weight verification. Ok, on Monday I went to a weigh station and received my weight certificate and went back to Sec of State. Then after 1/2 hour of waiting while they called Lansing, she came back and said I couldnt get my plates today. She had to title it under Fee category 8 and once I received my title to bring it back and she would change the body type from bus to motorhome. She explained I did not want it to be titled by weight cause it would cost me $400-500 year in plates. Where as fee cat 8 is very inexpensive to plate. So, now I wait for my title and begin the journey again. Ill keep you updated.

yellowlab1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 8.2 Detroit Deisel
Rated Cap: 6 carbon units 1 drag car
Re: MIchigan Secretary of State Experience

Yellow I had a similar exp at MI sec of state. But they only wanted to know if I had a toilet, stove and sink. I told them yes. But the bus is used for hauling a race car so.....

I am not sure where you live in MI but I am North of Detroit. I did not have a signed title and had to go through the process of them searching titles. It took a day.

I think I am in cat fee 8 also. It cost me $150 for title transfer, title search fee, plate and it was a personalized one too.

Also you may want to look into All state insurance. I had GMAC and it was a grand a year or so. I went to all state and it is like $200 a year.

I have a clean driving record too.
produster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 66
Re: MIchigan Secretary of State Experience

Hi Produster,

I live in Birch Run (between Flint and Saginaw, MI., I use State Farm for everything but the Bus. I had to go with GMAC for that, but it is expensive, I think it was $1,000 a year. Can you tell me more about your policy with Allstate? Are they aware it is a bus conversion? If so, would you mind giving me the contact info for your agent? So I could set up insurance for my bus.

Thanks,

Bill
Birch Run, MI
wap@wprestin.com
miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote